“poor employee”

Ranked #11 of 37 Hotels in Kingston
Toronto, Canada
“poor employee”
Reviewed 15 August 2011

The worst treatment by an employee at the counter very ignorant, not helpfull at all needs lots of training.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank joe m
Hotelmanager1550, General Manager at Ambassador Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this review, 25 August 2011
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am truly sorry that you were not completely delighted with your visit.. Please contact me personally so that I can make it up to you.

Cheers

Venicio Rebelo
Direct Line 613 541 4676
venicio@ambassadorhotel.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
Toronto
Reviewed 14 August 2011

As mentioned in '2-4-T'' review below (my room was located next door @ 268), this person was very accurate in describing the economy room and at that very affordable rate, I jumped in on getting the room. Even the hotel's website stated that even though this room is smaller in size, it's still great for single travelers or couples who don't intend on spending their entire weekend in the room.

I arrived in Kingston on the Friday (12th) at around Noon and spent the first couple of hours or so, walking through the streets of the historic town (Princess St.) which is full of shops and cafes. It wasn't until about 3pm that I decided to check-in to the hotel to find out that the room was ready. (Usually check-in is at 4pm, but depending on availability, you could luck out and get in earlier)

The amenities were great. Having free wifi, a desk, a working bathroom, temperature controls, and a comfortable bed was all that I needed. I didn't care too much about the size. Having the ice/vending machines & the fact that my room key could be used to purchase drinks from it was a huge bonus. There's been times where I stayed at a hotel and had no change to purchase drinks in case I needed them in the morning.

Though the shower was tricky to operate, (I had to play around with the knob to make the water temp from cold to hot), the bathroom was clean and functioning properly. The only thing missing was a fan to suck out all the humidity (or maybe use defogger on the mirror as it was impossible to see after showering).

The water playground was decent. The kids on hand enjoyed the waterslide & splash pad area while the pool, hot tubs, steam room & dry sauna were great features. The life guard attendants were polite and ensured a fresh towel was provide whenever you needed one to dry off. The area surrounding the water playground had a kids bingo room, an arts & crafts room, and an arcade. The foyer also had a few games for the kids to play as well.

Even though this resort is a few minutes drive away from the downtown core, it's definitely a solid hotel (3.8 stars out of 5) and I will definately make this my first option whenever I do decide to return to this town. I've already recommended it to my cousin and his bride to be. Thanks for making it enjoyable Vinny!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank OceanTraveller420
Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 29 July 2011

The hotel is large and in a strip of older hotels and motels which lies a 5-10 min drive from the city center. This hotel has been renovated in 2010 - and offers lots of extras like free parking, 100% smoke free building (hurray!), recycling box in room (important to me), vending machines which work on the room key, elevators for accessibility, no pets (cleaner - hurray!!), a large indoor 'water playground', kids activities, fitness room, games room and it backs onto the Little Cataraqui Creek Conservation Area (marshes).

They do offer business and comfort class... but we went with an economy room. Got a good deal (from the hotel's website) and stayed in room 269. The room was small and the window faced a brick wall. This was okay for light, but I had to keep the blind closed since an employee walked by! The room was a little dim with only a light at the door, and then the bedside lamps and one standing lamp which were all on the energy-efficient light bulbs. The room had the usual layout, but seemed sparse and bland with grey tones and european, birch, basic furnishings- it just didn't feel welcoming to me. (I deducted points for this and a couple of minor cleanliness issues.) The bed was okay but seemed small for a queen. I liked having the in-room iron and board, luggage rack, and temp controls (these are always a bit loud), free local calling, and free high speed internet. The 32" TV was good and there is coffee in the room. The bathroom was tiny - but well planned. There was a wide granite counter for my toiletries, a heating lamp, a bowed shower rod (more space while showering), good water temps and pressure, non-slip tub - but no fan and it got humid fast. Everything worked.

The water-park offers 2 tepid whirlpools, a steam room (not working when we were there - thanks to the dufus or unmonitored child who ripped the temp gauge out of the wall), a dry sauna, and pool - with towels and staff on hand. For the kids there is a splash-pad, large slide etc. Lots of chlorine and closed for cleaning regularly - but I'd rather this than the alternatives!!!! If you can stand the hordes of kids, its clean and quite good.

Overall - about a 3.5 and I would likely stay again for the price.

1 Thank 2-4-T
Toronto Ontario
Reviewed 28 July 2011

We stayed here one night on our way to picking our son up from summer camp.

The young man at the front desk was helpful when we checked in, they did not show our reservation because when I reserved on-line I seem to have made it for an earlier date in error. I had been charged a no-show for the date which I was not aware of. He could not cancel it but was very understanding and noted the info so I would not have to explain it all when the manager came in the next day.

When I called the front desk in the morning, the manager took care of the problem by not charging me for the night since a charge had already been taken for the no-show. It wasn't thier error but they offered real customer service and I appreciate that.

We had reserved the cheapest room for only $89 a night and it was clean and comfortable. I would definately stay there again.

Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 25 July 2011

It seems that when you go to Kingston with sports teams to attend a soccer or hockey tournament the hotels always raise rates and need you to book two nights or pay a higher premium for one night. We paid $215 for one night stay for a room with no true amenities. Our room was on the West Tower, 1st flr. As you enter the bldg the first thing you smell is the clorine from the pool area, the humidity is high and the area shows its age.
You slide your card to enter the room and you have to force the room open. For $215 you get beds with 4 pillows and a TV. Yes you get an ironing board and a hair dryer. You ask for the ice machine and you are told that there might be one on the 2nd flr or maybe the fourth or fifth. You eventually find one and it does not work. The AC was noisy and rattling, you take a shower and it fogs up all the mirrors, towels have been over used and yes you do get to enjoy 4 pillows on your bed. Big bonus there is a water slide, pool in the hotel, WOW! Sorry people as much as a pool is great for a bit of free time for the kids, you do not travel to book an hotel for swimming. For $215, maybe a fridge, a microwave oven, a bite to eat in the morning. Sorry this was not for me!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Siala_11
Hotelmanager1550, General Manager at Ambassador Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this review, 27 July 2011
Thank you very much for taking the time to post your comments. I am disappointed that you were not delighted with your visit. I would like to make this up to you. Please contact me at your leisure by email at venicio@ambassadorhotel.com or by phone at 613 541 4676 (direct line)

Hope you have a great week.

Sincerely

Venicio Rebelo

Travellers are raving about these Kingston hotels

Ashton-under-Lyne
Reviewed 14 July 2011

Stayed one night while over in KIngston. For the price it was ok but nothing special. Room was clean but unlike motels we stayed in no fridge. Room had no view. Tea & Coffee facilities poor
Hotel appearance created high expectations which didn't materialise.
Bar staff very pleasant and rated higher purely on the pound of chicken wings (yummy)

1 Thank Bluejayssuck
Hotelmanager1550, General Manager at Ambassador Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this review, 17 July 2011
Thank you very much for taking your time to post your review we do appreciate your comments. WE have a wide variety of accommodation types to satisfy most of our client needs. Many with refrigerators and great views of the Little Cataraqui Consveration Area. I suggest the next time you are looking to book with us you inquire if one of these rooms is available. If you wish to reach myself personally please do so at 613 541 4676 (direct line) or by email at
venicio@ambassadorhotel.com
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 18 June 2011

My wife and I spent last Friday and Saturday nights (June 10, 11) at your hotel. We were there, along with many other parents and grandparents to watch our offspring in the Lacrosse tournament. The accommodations were superb - clean rooms, extremely courteous staff who couldn't do enough to make our stay a pleasant one, and great food in your restaurant. The breakfast buffets and the Friday and Saturday buffets didn't disappoint. The Saturday roast beef buffet was made more gracious with the pleasure of the piano player. We had a great conversation with him as we were seated just across from him, and we knew all the great music he was playing.

As well, my grandson really enjoyed the pool and slide area. His stay was made more memorable as his team won their division in the tournament.

Kudos to you and your staff for making our stay a very good experience. I taught customer service excellence programs for a number of years and your staff would have passed with flying colors.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family