“Rude staff, old looking hotel”

Ambassador Hotel & Conference Centre
Ranked #11 of 37 Hotels in Kingston
London, Canada
“Rude staff, old looking hotel”
Reviewed 1 September 2011

Staff were completely unhelpful and rude. Coupled with a very average hotel room, it made for a poor stay. If you'd rather interact with staff who are helpful, stay somewhere else.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Hotelmanager1550, General Manager at Ambassador Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this review, 8 September 2011
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. If you could contact me and let me which member of my team you interacted with would be much appreciated.

Our hotel was 100% renovated in 2010. Not sure which part that you are describing as Old Looking.. true the outside physical building is over 20 years old but in excellent shape. Sure it is not a new modern design that you see with hotels built in the last 5 to 10 years.

Please contact myself personally to discuss further

All the best

Venicio Rebelo
613 541 4676
venicio@ambassadorhotel.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
Dawlish, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 August 2011

Stopped over for one night driving from Toronto to Montreal. The children loved the pool - it has a great slide - and the gym was well-maintained also. We ate dinner in the evening and it was perfectly acceptable, with a good choice. One of the hot buffet choices ran out between ordering drinks and going to eat and the chef rustled something up specially, which I thought was a really nice touch.

Would return if we were ever in Kingston again.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Ottawa
Reviewed 15 August 2011

We stayed here when attending a friend's wedding, along with all other wedding guests. We could not get into our room anytime before the start of the wedding, so had to change in the lobby bathroom. Upon returning after the wedding in the wee hours, we were unknowingly booked into a room with a window opening directly onto the pool. Was wakened at 8 am to the splashes of the pool and screams of children. In following up with staff to ask why an entire wedding party was booked into the noisiest part of the hotel, they instead blamed us for not specifying not to be near the pool. As if a completely unfamiliar guest who is part of a wedding party could know to request this. There was not even an acknowledgement of our concern, let alone an apology. I'll never recommend or stay here again. The whole experience was too aggrevating.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank MaryDiMaggio
Hotelmanager1550, General Manager at Ambassador Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this review, 18 August 2011
Thank you for taking the time to inform me of your experience. I am truly sorry that you were not completely delighted. I would like to make this up to you.. Please contact me personally at your leisure...

Venicio Rebelo, General Manager
Direct Line 613 541 4676
email: venicio@ambassadorhotel.com

Travellers are raving about these Kingston hotels

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 15 August 2011

The worst treatment by an employee at the counter very ignorant, not helpfull at all needs lots of training.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank joe m
Hotelmanager1550, General Manager at Ambassador Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this review, 25 August 2011
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am truly sorry that you were not completely delighted with your visit.. Please contact me personally so that I can make it up to you.

Cheers

Venicio Rebelo
Direct Line 613 541 4676
venicio@ambassadorhotel.com
Toronto
Reviewed 14 August 2011

As mentioned in '2-4-T'' review below (my room was located next door @ 268), this person was very accurate in describing the economy room and at that very affordable rate, I jumped in on getting the room. Even the hotel's website stated that even though this room is smaller in size, it's still great for single travelers or couples who don't intend on spending their entire weekend in the room.

I arrived in Kingston on the Friday (12th) at around Noon and spent the first couple of hours or so, walking through the streets of the historic town (Princess St.) which is full of shops and cafes. It wasn't until about 3pm that I decided to check-in to the hotel to find out that the room was ready. (Usually check-in is at 4pm, but depending on availability, you could luck out and get in earlier)

The amenities were great. Having free wifi, a desk, a working bathroom, temperature controls, and a comfortable bed was all that I needed. I didn't care too much about the size. Having the ice/vending machines & the fact that my room key could be used to purchase drinks from it was a huge bonus. There's been times where I stayed at a hotel and had no change to purchase drinks in case I needed them in the morning.

Though the shower was tricky to operate, (I had to play around with the knob to make the water temp from cold to hot), the bathroom was clean and functioning properly. The only thing missing was a fan to suck out all the humidity (or maybe use defogger on the mirror as it was impossible to see after showering).

The water playground was decent. The kids on hand enjoyed the waterslide & splash pad area while the pool, hot tubs, steam room & dry sauna were great features. The life guard attendants were polite and ensured a fresh towel was provide whenever you needed one to dry off. The area surrounding the water playground had a kids bingo room, an arts & crafts room, and an arcade. The foyer also had a few games for the kids to play as well.

Even though this resort is a few minutes drive away from the downtown core, it's definitely a solid hotel (3.8 stars out of 5) and I will definately make this my first option whenever I do decide to return to this town. I've already recommended it to my cousin and his bride to be. Thanks for making it enjoyable Vinny!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank OceanTraveller420
Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 29 July 2011

The hotel is large and in a strip of older hotels and motels which lies a 5-10 min drive from the city center. This hotel has been renovated in 2010 - and offers lots of extras like free parking, 100% smoke free building (hurray!), recycling box in room (important to me), vending machines which work on the room key, elevators for accessibility, no pets (cleaner - hurray!!), a large indoor 'water playground', kids activities, fitness room, games room and it backs onto the Little Cataraqui Creek Conservation Area (marshes).

They do offer business and comfort class... but we went with an economy room. Got a good deal (from the hotel's website) and stayed in room 269. The room was small and the window faced a brick wall. This was okay for light, but I had to keep the blind closed since an employee walked by! The room was a little dim with only a light at the door, and then the bedside lamps and one standing lamp which were all on the energy-efficient light bulbs. The room had the usual layout, but seemed sparse and bland with grey tones and european, birch, basic furnishings- it just didn't feel welcoming to me. (I deducted points for this and a couple of minor cleanliness issues.) The bed was okay but seemed small for a queen. I liked having the in-room iron and board, luggage rack, and temp controls (these are always a bit loud), free local calling, and free high speed internet. The 32" TV was good and there is coffee in the room. The bathroom was tiny - but well planned. There was a wide granite counter for my toiletries, a heating lamp, a bowed shower rod (more space while showering), good water temps and pressure, non-slip tub - but no fan and it got humid fast. Everything worked.

The water-park offers 2 tepid whirlpools, a steam room (not working when we were there - thanks to the dufus or unmonitored child who ripped the temp gauge out of the wall), a dry sauna, and pool - with towels and staff on hand. For the kids there is a splash-pad, large slide etc. Lots of chlorine and closed for cleaning regularly - but I'd rather this than the alternatives!!!! If you can stand the hordes of kids, its clean and quite good.

Overall - about a 3.5 and I would likely stay again for the price.

1 Thank 2-4-T
Toronto Ontario
Reviewed 28 July 2011

We stayed here one night on our way to picking our son up from summer camp.

The young man at the front desk was helpful when we checked in, they did not show our reservation because when I reserved on-line I seem to have made it for an earlier date in error. I had been charged a no-show for the date which I was not aware of. He could not cancel it but was very understanding and noted the info so I would not have to explain it all when the manager came in the next day.

When I called the front desk in the morning, the manager took care of the problem by not charging me for the night since a charge had already been taken for the no-show. It wasn't thier error but they offered real customer service and I appreciate that.

We had reserved the cheapest room for only $89 a night and it was clean and comfortable. I would definately stay there again.