“Efficiency and extraordinary friendliness”

Ambassador Hotel & Conference Centre
Ranked #11 of 37 Hotels in Kingston
Reviewed 1 December 2011

I had the pleasure of staying at the Ambassador Conference Resort in Kingston for work purposes this past November 2011 . My room was huge, clean with a big spa tub . The staff was very friendly and helpful. I also used the pool and the saunas and loved them.
I will definitely make plans to return with my family for a short holiday.

Room Tip: I stayed in the West wing at a corner suite and it was sunny and quiet.
There are newer reviews for Ambassador Hotel & Conference Centre

Reviewed 28 November 2011

Had the opportunity to stay at the Ambassador on two occasions, 3 days in September and 2 days in October 2011. Both visits were "outstanding". Staff were professional and most helpful in answering all my questions (where to eat, taxi service, etc). The first time I had a business executive suite (wow) walkin in shower, jacquizzi, coffee etc. It was bliss for my wife and I. The second visit we were in a regular room due to late booking (hockey tournament). We were spoiled from the first visit. Saved money though! Again to compliment all bar staff, housekeeping, pool and reception persons who made both our stays "Outstanding". I'd recommend this hotel to anyone travelling to Kingston and as a side bar there is a big "Pickers Warehouse" across the street.

Room Tip: If you book a room on the 4th floor you can not gain entrance from the stair entrance nearest to the...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 November 2011

Just returned from a second vacation at this hotel. The Reservation and Front Desk staff were exceptionally helpful. We went as an extended family needing 3 rooms. They found us quiet rooms beside each other and far away from all the hockey and volleyball tournament travellers. We particularly enjoyed the indoor waterpark.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank ilovetravel22
Reviewed 18 November 2011

I had an excellent stay at this hotel during a recent 3-day conference. The room was prepared early (I arrived a tad earlier than expected) and it was very clean, quiet and had an excellent amount of space for the $ rate per day (exceptional bang for the buck!). My room overlooked the lovely Cataraqui River and marsh area - perfectly quiet at night which made my stay even better. Terrific bathroom facilities (nice upgrades to my room) and great wifi reception throughout the hotel. The staff (both those on the front desk as well as those from cleaning services) were extremely courteous, polite, friendly, and helpful; the front desk staff were most accommodating when I requested a late check-out which made all the difference during the last day of my stay - thank you so much!!

Overall, this was an excellent choice for the conference and I would gladly return for another stay in the future (whether for pleasure for business). My only suggestions for improvement would be to have firmer mattresses and box springs, and install a stronger bathroom fan to more effectively dissipate moisture and humidity after taking a shower. I would also strongly recommend fully partitioning the atrium area away from the pool facility (e.g., enclose the pool area in its own room with its own ventilation) given the high chlorine odor that lingered heavily in both the atrium area and the second hotel tower, as did the extreme humidity in the conference rooms within the atrium area. Otherwise, this was a stellar facility! Many thanks for a terrific stay!

Reviewed 16 November 2011

I stayed at the Ambassador for a 3-day conference and found it just average.

Guest Rooms: I had the traditional guest room, which was large enough. The TV is about 20 inch and the free Wifi was slow. The bathroom was a decent size, but very dark! For women, it is really difficult to put on make-up, for men it would be difficult to shave, as you're almost doing it in the dark. Despite the room furnishing and bathrooms being updated and contemporary, the entire room is lacking lighting. My bathtub also leaked onto the bathroom floor.

Most importantly for anyone staying at this hotel, whether it be business or pleasure, may I warn you that there is no sound proofing throughout the hotel. One can clearly hear people talking in the next room, and anyone walking through the hallways can be easily heard in the guest rooms as well (there is a good two-inch gab between room door and floor). I stayed on the ground level, and could hear people walking in the hallways on the second floor due to the ceiling reverberating with each step. Very annoying when trying to get a good night's sleep.

The business amenities are under par. The meeting rooms have the most uncomfortable and old chairs, and this is what we sat in all day long. We also had a formal dinner and sat in the same chairs in the main meeting room all evening...my backside and lower back were in serious pain by the end of the conference. They need to update the furtniture if they want to call themselves a 'conference resort'.

While the large meeting room (Ballroom) can easily accommodate a large group, the smaller break-out rooms were very poorly set up. When split in half, you can hear the presentations going on in the other rooms which was very annoying. The projector screens were also very low and therefore if you are not in the first row of seating, you are unable to see most of the slide presentation.

The positives include very friendly front desk staff and a large indoor water slide and pool for kids. We also had a drink at the small bar within the hotel and the service was excellent. There is ample parking and the location is very close to downtown Kingston (restaurants, shopping, etc.) and to the 401.

In conclusion, this seems like an old hotel, which they have tried to fix up - but the noise issues alone will stop me from ever going back.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
Hotelmanager1550, General Manager at Ambassador Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2011

Thank you very much for posting your review. I am truly sorry that you did not completely enjoy your visit recently and would like the opportunity to discuss this with you if you wish. We host hundreds of conferences and thousands of visitors on an annual basis and for the most part we have recieved great reviews. I do appreciate your comments and we are always looking for ways to improve our facility and our service.

Please contact me at your leisure.. All the best

Venicio Rebelo
613 541 4676
venicio@ambassadorhotel.com

Reviewed 3 November 2011

We booked into the hotel and found out it was the same weekend as a hockey tournament.
My husband and I asked it there was anywhere we could be placed that the kids would not be running up and down outside our room. Sarah was so understanding and made sure we were secluded from the tournament guest. Thanks for great customer service.

Room Tip: Talk to reservations for assistance
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 October 2011

Stayed at the Ambassador for a mini-family vacation this past weekend.  Wanted a special pre-Halloween treat for the kids and somewhere fun to stay when we went up for Fort Fright at Fort Henry.  Overall the Ambassador wasn't a terrible hotel but the "Indoor Waterpark" consisted of a VERY small shallow pool, 2 tiny hot tubs (only one actually working) and a smallish slide.  It was OK but nothing special to warrant the $200 a night we paid.  Had I known ahead of time, I would have just booked a regular hotel with a pool. You also had to walk through a busy conference area to get to the pool...while we were there it was apparently an AA conference so it was a BUSY area...not so fun with kids and in bathing attire.  Also, we were in the main building...the pool is in the Tower.  To get to the pool we had to go down to the second floor, go across the tower skywalk and then take another elevator to the first floor where the pool was....or else take the elevator down to first then walk outside to get to the tower...not very easy to get to.  Room wasn't bad...clean and beds were comfortable.  Bathroom was a decent size.  Check in was quick and efficient as was check out.  Front desk staff was friendly and helpful.  All-in-all it was alright but I definitely wouldn't stay there again for the money.  Living as close to Kingston as I do, there would have been a lot of better ways to spend it.

• Stayed: October 2011

Thank you very much for posting your review. I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you directly to discuss your stay. I am truly sorry that you did not fully enjoy your stay with us. Hopefully we can welcome you back at another time. Please contact me so that we can plan your next visit to the Ambassador and Kingston.

All the best: