“I had to stay here for work, otherwise I would have gone elsewhere”
Review of Hotel Belvedere

Hotel Belvedere
Ranked #12 of 37 Hotels in Kingston
Reviewed 8 August 2012

I stayed here one night for work. I had no say in where I got to stay. This is an older place – there’s no elevator, you get an actual room key, the bedroom furniture and washroom are dated and some rooms have an actual kitchenette in them. Some find this type of thing charming a it's got more of a b&b feel. I can’t say I feel the same.

Breakfast is included and served on the main floor right by the fire place. It was decent.

The service was ok as was the location. It's a relatively short walk to the area with restaurants.

However, upon returning home from this trip I had bites all over the exposed areas of my body. Thankfully, they were not bug bites, but some sort of other insect bite. And while I am not positive that they came from this hotel, I think it’s highly probable. As such, I will not be staying here again.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank Anita49
iwbelvedere, Owner at Hotel Belvedere, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2012

Thank you for giving us the benefit of doubt as we have never had a mention of an insect bite problem. We live in the hotel ourselves. The rooms have been thoroughly checked and we remain proud of our reputation for cleanliness, and of our charm.

Reviewed 26 July 2012

Well we were disappointed in this hotel (more like a B & B).. first of all the tree in front is so big it hides the sign. Inside... not too shabby..hotel clerk.. was accommodating but not overly friendly. There is no bell hop to help you with your luggage. We asked to be on the 3rd floor which the way the stairs are laid out was the 5th floor..? The room... yes it has character, creaking floors, small tubs, etc. but... no where to put your suitcase.. they go on the floor. Bed was great though i have to say.. they could turn air on a little or close the curtains so the blistering heat didn't heat up the room.. and it is a portable air conditioner which is noisy..(typical not their fault)... When we looked around it seemed to have some interesting furniture and pictures.. but just seemed to be lacking something..? We went into the B & B close by the Frontenac Club (I think it was called) and it was a similar type place but just had more wow.. about it - the guy gave us a tour.. even into one of the rooms and told us history of the place but not at the Belvdere. Breakfast consisted of two toasted english muffins, jam and butter and one slice of cheese and coffee... ok -but the other place had a full english breakfast? I think there is a lot of potential for this place. Good walking distance to downtown..... it's sad...actually.. would not go back the way it is!

Reviewed 19 July 2012

We stayed in the Belvedere for one night in July 2012. Showed up in the hotel and told the friendly staff we found the hotel on booking.com but wanted to save her the commission. This caused for laughs and we felt comfortable with each other immediately... ;-)

We were shown twoo rooms to choose from. One had a price of 159.- $ the other 189.- but we were give the price of the cheapest room which we had seen on booking.com: 129.- $. That's a nice "upgrade".

Rooms all had their individual style and interior, with old books, marble lamps, etc. Our's even had a jacuzzi bath tub. You could tell the history of the building. On the ground floor there is a "salon"-type lounge or reading room where guests meet. On the nice terrasse a "light breakfast" (english muffin, butter, preserves, cheeses, orance juice, coffee, tea) is served on nice days. Parking is availabe behind the house (limited number of lots).

Overall: very charming small hotel in a wonderful town. Would choose it again immediately...

1  Thank Yves H
Reviewed 15 July 2012

Pros: Nice location, historic building, friendly staff, comfortable beds.
Cons: Parking consists of about 5 spots in the gravel back yard and on street (when not prohibited by snow removal laws). Curtains were only sheers and light was streaming in the room at 5:30 am. No coffee maker in room. TV placed in an awkward position beside bed. Shower temperatures went from freezing to scalding. Killed one bee and two spiders after getting up.

The room is over priced for what you get. We were trying to find a non-bed and breakfast hotel that was unique and would provide a memorable stay as opposed to the sterile, cookie cutter hotel chain we normally use. We'll be going back to the more modern, reliable style of accommodation after staying here.

I booked the room for $159.00 on Booking.com and the bill I was presented was for $179.00. As you may guess from my review - I wouldn't highly recommend staying here.

Reviewed 18 February 2012

I stayed in this hotel at the beginning of February 2012. It is a lovely large Victorian mansion that has been converted into a hotel. It is about a 10 minutes walk from the main downtown strip on Princess St.

The positives of this hotel are the decor, the spacious rooms with high ceilings, the light breakfast provided in the morning that consists of a toasted English muffin, fruit, orange juice and coffee, free wifi, a sitting room with a warm fireplace, comfortable beds, and free parking.

In addition the staff was incredibly helpful from giving directions and restaurant suggestions to letting me switch rooms because the first one was cold. They were friendly and courteous. It was a pleasure interacting with them.

That being said there are some cons to a stay at this hotel. My room was on the second floor and, as I had feared, the footsteps of the person above me on the creaking floor seriously disturbed my sleep in the mornin at around 6 am. It sounded like the person was packing, but the walking about went on for at least twenty minutes. In addition the rooms are heated by radiators which cannot be individually adjusted, so the use of a space heater is sometimes necessary (one is provided in the room).

That being said, the hotel is definitely romantic and I would consider returning for a weekend get-away.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Lostris21
Reviewed 12 January 2012

My wife and I have stayed at this place two years in a row now. This past October and the October previous to that. We were wonderfully surprised at how love it was and the beautiful atmosphere. It was exactly what I expected and we were pleased both times (hence our return).

The owner was very helpful to recommend us wineries to visit when we headed to Prince Edward County.

I see people commenting on the breakfast and I really don't understand it. You get an english muffin with butter and a lovely jam. A sharp chedder cheese, fresh orange juice and wonderfully brewed coffee or tea. There are also bowls of fresh fruit in the sitting room that you are welcome to. I think this is a perfectly adequate breakfast that is simple yet thoughtful with a great attention to detail.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 December 2011

This is a beautifully restored historical property. The rooms are charming and the common rooms are relaxing and lovely. A light breakfast is included. Friendly, service-oriented staff.

Room Tip: Visit this hotel in any but the hottest time of year - this is a historic property and they depend o...