“Just Close Enough”

Ranked #14 of 37 Hotels in Kingston
Belleville, Canada
“Just Close Enough”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2014

This property's most redeeming feature is that it's close enough to the core's many high-end restaurants and activities to be accessible by a leisurely 10-minute stroll, but far enough out of the core that one doesn't get all of the street noise that a lively area can generate. On top of that, a very clean, pleasant room and excellent breakfast.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank zubill

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
London, Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2013

Everything that makes a hotel stay perfect is what we experienced here. Ambiance, quiet, extraordinary service. The decor is peaceful, calming and if you are interested in antiques a true jewel. Our room was immaculate with the most comfortable bed (high-end mattress). Breakfast is served either in your room or the beautiful front "parlour" on the main floor. The hotel is minutes from Queens campus (beautiful park across the street), the waterfront and downtown. The best part of our experience was the staff. David and Marika. Everything is about what "you" need. I wish I could find a place like this in every city I traveled. If you want perfection, you will find it here.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Moxroclady
Cambridge, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2013

This Hotel had all of the charm of bygone years and a really welcoming, friendly atmosphere. The service was fantastic and the rooms were clean. We really enjoyed our overnight stay. It was within easy walking distance to a number of good restaurants. The only concern was the number of stairs to get up to the third floor as there is no elevator so check ahead for ground floor accommodations if you have any mobility issues.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2013

This place is a bit of a hidden gem. Stayed here for the wkend with my wife in Kingston. It's like a beautifully converted large house in a lovely residential area of Kingston approx 10-15 mins walk from the harbour, and reminiscent of some great B&Bs I've stayed in in the UK and Ireland. Very friendly and helpful staff. Decent rooms and we enjoyed the breakfast on offer. Car parking free, as is their wifi.
Highly recommended if you're after a lovely weekend in Kingston. We'd stay here again

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Niagara-on-the-Lake, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2013

I stayed here recently with my daughter who is attending Queen's University. We were able to bring my small dog and the staff accommodated us well by giving us a ground floor room with direct access to our own terrace for the dog. The room was beautifully appointed with antique furniture, a fireplace and full bathroom. The modern addition of a flat screen television was nice :) !

In the morning, breakfast was served on our schedule - we were given the choice of where. Our room, our terrace, the common parlour or the shared terrace. Nice light breakfast of English muffins, preserves, fresh orange juice and tea and coffee.

I will stay here every time I visit my daughter in Kingston now. Why book with a typical hotel when you can stay in a unique inn with all the charm and ambience of the turn of the 19th century.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank LindaEl
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2013

I'm still undecided about this hotel and I think its quite difficult to review because each room is so different and so this is going to be a very personal viewpoint and also one coloured by the fact that we arrived here after staying in one of the best rooms we've ever had.
Although billed a hotel it falls somewhere between a hotel and a b&b; too big for a B&B and without the facilities of a hotel

What I liked most: our bedroom was sunny and bright with a really comfy bed. The staff were friendly and helpful. Breakfast was nice and plentiful, we were always asked if we wanted more and it was nice to be able to eat on the terrace in good weather. The centre of Kingston was easily walkable and the lake just one block down.

What I liked least: The sitting room attached to our bedroom was gloomy and poorly lit so we just used it as a dressing area. The curtains were very thin and unlined, fortunately I had a sleep mask or I wouldn't have been able to sleep well. The TV was as antique as some of the furniture.

I think your experience of this hotel will be affected by the room you have so see if you can look at some before booking, some have outside space but some are quite dark which for some people might be a problem

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Shantam
Mugla, Turkey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2013

It depends on the taste but to my liking this hotel was the second besr I have stayed in my life.
The first one was in Valparaiso, also making you feel at home, very friendly owners and staff, making you feel that you belong to the place somehow. The breakfast we had, was the best we had during our 15 days travel of our North tour.
It is very close to downtown, the rooms are spacious the kaftan that I saw on the Wall of the Hall fascinated me, I wonder where they got it from ?

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends