“Better than expected!”

Ranked #14 of 37 Hotels in Kingston
Toronto
“Better than expected!”
Reviewed 29 July 2010

We stayed at Hotel Belvedere for one-night in July. From the second I got to the front doors I was impressed. It's much nicer inside that other B&B's in Kingston (and cheaper too!). It's a very grand house and nicely decorated. Some B&B's make me feel like I'm stepping back in time, but Hotel Belvedere was a nice mix between classic and modern. Our room was huge and had a private breakfast nook that over looked the waterfront. The B&B's doesn't have central air, but each room came with a floor fan and A/C unit in the window. I found this to be more than enough. Breakfast was basic (English muffin, cheese, jams, tea/coffee, orange juice etc.) but covered all of the bases. We called for our breakfast and it was dropped off within 5-minutes to our room. Our room was clean with a good bed and lots of windows/natural light. All and all, I'd highly recommend this B&B and will definitely return.

P.S. All of the B&B's in Kingston make you stay minimum two nights, but not this one!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Somerset
Reviewed 11 July 2010

Attracted by its history but disappointed. The bedroom was small and had a connecting door which did not fit properly to the next room. As a consequence we heard every word of the conversation of a couple in the next room which went on quite late. I am only glad that they decided to sleep!! Brealfast was inadequate and served on a tray.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Chicago
Reviewed 1 July 2010

If you love the shabby grandeur of Victorian era homes, this is the place for you. Ever so slight musty fragrance, creaky floors, nooks and crannies, a hodge-podge of antique furnishings and absolutely fabulous. I loved it. If you like a square and quiet room with a vacuous bathroom that smells like every other chain hotel - you will not want to stay here. But for those of us that love a chance to experience a bit of history, the Hotel Belvedere is wonderful. My lovely room was spacious, clean and nicely furnished with a bed, several chairs, side tables and a small dining table. There was a fireplace with an ornate iron door and beautiful tile hearth. The bathroom was tiny but I don't rent hotel rooms to hang out in the bathroom so it worked fine for me. And there was a wee kitchen with a nicely sized refrigerator and microwave oven. My room even featured an adorable 'upstairs' closet! How fun is that! In the morning, I went downstairs to the parlour where the wonderfully friendly staff brought me a freshly toasted English muffin served with really tasty orange juice on a beautiful antique silver tray. Coffee and tea are also available and a big bowl of fresh fruit is there for the picking. All of it was much tastier than the typical hotel breakfast of soggy Danish and soda fountain juices. As much as I loved this wonderful old boarding house, I had to give the hotel a four star rating. The door to my room is a great deal smaller than the portal it covers so light from the hallway leaked in all around it during the night. And the lovely windows were covered with ancient shutters that did not close all the way nor fully cover the windows. Charming but ineffective in blocking light from outside. On the other hand, I loved how the sunlight poured in through the gaps and slats in the morning. Overall, it was quite lovely and I plan to return next time I am in Kingston.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank Jewelsworld
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Reviewed 20 February 2010

Funky, eclectic place. Easy walk from downtown, Queens, and RMC. All the "creaks and groans" one would expect from a 100+-year-old building, but clean spacious room with very comfortable bed. Continental breakfast beside the fire in the reading room is a perfect start to the day. Friendly, helpful staff.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 December 2009

I spent two thoroughly enjoyable weeks in the Belvedere while working in Kingston. It is a hotel with character. It was great to relax in front of a roaring fire in the elegant lounge. My room was spacious (although the bathroom was small) and well-furnished with a comfortable bed. The breakfast, which I always ate in the lounge, was fine for me. The staff were unfailingly friendly and helpful.

The hotel is excellently located on a quiet street within walking distance of both the city centre with its many bars, cafes and restaurants and the main Queens University campus.

I'd have no hesitation in staying at the Belvedere again should I ever return to Kingston.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 9 October 2009

Excellent government rates!!

Unique rooms in this 1880 house converted to a hotel within walking distance of the downtown. My room was clean and roomy and was one of 2, in the place, that has a jacuzzi. Antique furniture and a comfortable bed. Despite being an old house it was quiet.

What is advertised as a "light" breakfast is provided and it can be brought to your room or eaten in the main floor parlour. Friendly and very helpful owners. It is like an over-sized bed and breakfast.

My only criticism - no desk in my room but I improvised with the night-stand.

and yes...the rug in the room was worn and frayed but so what...it was an antique.

I would return just to try out a different room.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank pentangle
Washington DC
Reviewed 22 September 2009

The Belvedere is wonderful in so many ways. The breakfast however is horrible. You get a single english muffin, coffee, juice and 3 small slices of cheese. At least throw in a hard boiled egg or two. Maybe some ceraal and a banana. Fresh pastries from one of the lovely bakeries? I would rather have a table where I could help myself. For the cost this was a bummer and I will try an different place on my next trip to Kinston.

Stayed September 2009, travelled on business