“Worst ever!”

Comfort Inn Midtown
Ranked #22 of 37 Hotels in Kingston
Reviewed 8 July 2013

Where to start?
Dirty rooms, the smell, the insects or the broken everything.

Two nights here on July 6/7 for a soccer tournament and this dump takes the prize as the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. We had a group booking which meant we were locked in for 2 nights. Otherwise, everyone of the 18 families would have found other accommodation. We never expected 5 star amenities at a Comfort Inn but this was so substandard I question why the hotel chain would allow their logo to remain.

I won't even talk about the bug bites.

Room Tip: Stay away.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank TPR557
MatthewThibault, Manager at Comfort Inn Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2013

Thank you so much for your review which will help us out in the future ...
Also our guest sevice reps will also learn from this

There are newer reviews for Comfort Inn Midtown

Reviewed 27 May 2013

Nice rooms with patio doors to the outside. Pet friendly which was very convient with the doors to the outside. Staff was nice...and very accomodating. Close to lots of restaurants and stores. Rooms were very clean and breakfast was included. Breakfast was a mixture of hot and cold varieties.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank w0190551

Thank you so much for the nice review.You always hear about the bad not the good
We hope that you and your puppy stay with us again

Reviewed 21 May 2013

Again the staff at Comfort Inn was excellent. Always friendly and accommodating to our needs.
We enjoyed the daily breakfast offered, with a variety of choices. We were close enough to walk to the conference centre where we were attending meetings; the bus stop was right at our corner, to hop on board and visit downtown Kingston; and a short walk to restaurants for dinner. Felt safe & sound here.

Room Tip: We chose a smoking room, as usually, Comfort Inn offers.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Louise O
Reviewed 31 January 2013

The front desk gal was very friendly and inviting when I arrived late at night, however that would be the one and only good part of the hotel. Once I exited the lobby I promptly encountered a very nasty smell in the hallway which probably emanated from the hallway carpet which was black with dirt and absolutely disgustingly dirty!

The room was only slightly better. The couch chairs and room carpet had large brown stains all over them. I quickly returned to the front desk and explained the situation. The girl at the desk was very apologetic and handed me three room keys and told me to take my pick…… in hindsight that should have been a red light, most probably my experience happens with a high degree of regularity as all three rooms were worse than the first, all had issues with filth from dirty bed sheets to hair and dirt on the washroom floors and tub! I again returned to the front desk and was handed four more room keys. The eighth room was the cleanest but still had a ways to go in the clean department. It was very late at night and I had no desire to go from hotel to hotel looking for a room so I requested a bunch of clean sheets which I spread on top of the bed and couch. In hind sight I likely would have been better off saving the money and sleeping in the car!

The breakfast the next morning was pretty much like the rest of the hotel. I walked in to find empty trays of food and promptly observed the breakfast room attendant washing something in the sink which was located next food. Water was splashing unto the food………… Where is the Ontario or Kingston health department?

This place reminded me of a flop house one sees on TV…… My experience puts this as the worst stay ever!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
4  Thank mrptravelbug
MatthewThibault, General Manager at Comfort Inn Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2013

Thank you so much for your review mrptravelbug,

By reading each of these reviews we are able to recognize areas that are in need of improvement and take the appropriate actions to correct them. During the Winter season, our hotel stuff try and focus on keeping all aspects of the hotel clean as it is much more difficult to do when mud and dirt are being brought in on the bottoms of shoes. Our staff takes a great deal of pride in making you feel comfortable and at home and I am certainly disappointed that your stay was not all that it could have been.

Reviewed 28 November 2012

I checked in for 2 nights on Thanksgiving weekend. When the front desk attendant found out I was there because of family being in the hospital, he immediately took the time to make sure I had the discount they allow, which I was unaware of at the time. The room was very clean, and you could tell they are trying to upgrade the building. Staff was very helpful, even hospitable, and I would certainly return to stay again. As well, the breakfast was one of the best I've ever had as an inclusive meal at a hotel--plenty of variety, good and lots of everything I had checked out the reviews here and almost did not go here because of them, but was glad I 'took a chance'; it just confirms that you can have very different perspectives of the same situation and location.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank localtraveller7
MatthewThibault, General Manager at Comfort Inn Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2012

We always enjoy hearing why guests enjoyed their stay with us and are happy to hear that you plan on staying at the Comfort Inn Midtown in the future localtraveller7. I will be sure to share your comments with the team and recognize them for their efforts and friendliness!

Reviewed 1 November 2012

I stayed for 2 nights and when I arrived I noticed that the one and only ice machine was out of order. I am wondering how this most basic convenience was allowed to be missing, with no alternative offered for ice. The bathroom basin was severely scratched, marked and discoloured and the bathtub drained very very slowly. The coffee cup lids in the breakfast room did not fit. There also is a very stale odour in the hallways and it seemed that a tobacco smell drifted into my non-smoking room each evening. My letter of concern has not been answered by the Manager, over 2 weeks later. Find a better place in lovely Kingston.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Nomad844

Thank you for your review of your stay at the hotel earlier this month Nomad844. We unfortunately had a situation happen where the ice machine would not pump water. This happened on a Friday afternoon and could not be worked on until Monday. We decided to replace the unit which is fully functional as we speak. I did purchase bagged ice for guest use in the time that the ice machine was not in service. This may have not been known to you so for that we are very sorry! We hope that you will consider staying with us during your next visit to Kingston and encourage you to contact me directly so that I can assure you have a wonderful visit in the Limestone City.

Reviewed 30 September 2012

Our first time in Kingston so we picked this location as in the dark and from the road did not look too bad. Checked in and off to our room upstairs, the hallway reeked of smoke so badly you practically needed a gas mask to get to the room. Once in the room it was dirty, air conditioner barely worked so I opened the screen which promptly fell out.

Bed was so so but we stayed as it had been a long day and did not feel like going out again looking for another place. Price included breakfast? which consisted of a hockey puck sausage and rubber egg served up on a paper plate with plastic cutlery.

My last time ever with this chain, one of the locals informed me it was owned by off-shore investors now who are concerned only with revenue with no regard to quality. It certainly appears this way. Run with hair streaming in the opposite direction away from this property.

Room Tip: Try another location
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Shuswap68

Dear Shuswap68, I would like to apologize on behalf of the hotel and its’ team for your stay. We are sorry to hear about the lingering odour you described. Your room assignment was situated in the middle of the hotel layout, where there is less hallway circulation. Our new free hot breakfast was just rolled out over the past few months and we are still working out some kinks. I am sorry that the meal was not up to standards and we are using different products all the time to perfect guest satisfaction. It would be great if you have a chance to give us a go again and we will certainly not disappoint again.