“HoJo -- it's really not that bad!”

Howard Johnson Inn Kingston
Ranked #24 of 37 Hotels in Kingston
Reviewed 20 October 2011

Excuse the facetious review title but it has to be stated that, for its reputation - and considering the price - the HoJo at Kingston was actually pretty good!

PROS: price, cleanliness, friendliness of the reception staff (major pro), relatively modern furnishings and decor (renovations)

CONS: location (though really not that bad, just a 20 minute walk to the downtown core), exterior could do with a bit of renovation but again it's a minor con

On the whole, I could only think of two negatives which in my mind were not really dealbreakers. On the other hand, what it does have to offer - again for the price you pay - far outweighs any of the negatives.

For those travelling on a tight budget, I would definitely recommend the Howard Johnson Kingston.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
HS G, General Manager at Howard Johnson Inn Kingston, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2011

Thank you mikey66e for the review and we are glad you gave us a try.

There are newer reviews for Howard Johnson Inn Kingston

Reviewed 20 October 2011

I stayed there two nights wile visitng my daughter at University. She is in her second year so I have stayed at several different hotels and this one is by far the best value I have seen. The room was clean and fairly new. It was quiet and there was a breakfast included. The older heater in the room was noisy and should probably be replaced in the future. I did not require it because the room was warm enough anyway. Unless something changes I will stay here in the future.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo

Thank you pkneary for your kind words. We are very pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and considered it a good value. We have already replaced the older heating units with new ones. Hope to see you again.

Reviewed 17 October 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Howard Johnson Oct. 14 & 15/11. I had been at a conference at the Ambassador for the day and my husband met me afterward. When I first pulled up to the hotel I was a little unsure as it did look a little sketchy from the outside. My opinion sure changed as soon as I walked into the lobby. The woman at the front desk was actually smiling and seemed genuinely happy to see me. I asked if my husband had arrived and she grabbed my bag and said follow me. She took me and my luggage right up to the room. When I walked into the room I couldn't believe what I saw. The room had been completely renovated and it was very clean. The carpet was new. There was a flat screen tv on the wall above a nice big desk. The room also had a fridge and microwave and coffee maker. (if you are like me and don't like paper cups, you may want to bring your own mug) The bathroom was completely updated and our room had a separate area with it's own sink and vanity and mirror, so the second person could get ready while someone else was in the bathroom. The continental breakfast was fine (cereal, toast, apples and oranges, waffle maker, yogurt)
We loved that we were able to walk to the downtown waterfront and enjoyed the nice walk each day.
I would definitely recommend this hotel and the price was right.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank travellingdianne

Thank you travellingdianne for the postive review. Im happy Dawn was able to assist you and we are glad you liked the renovated room, hopefully we will see you again.

Reviewed 13 October 2011

Stay was in October, was not interested in the ratings as just needed a place to lay my head...but oh my!! I was surprised! The rooms have definately been remodeled and when you see how much work has gone into them, you must realise the WHOLE place cannot be remodeled over night!! It is a courtyard type drive in old motel,right on the main street...and an old run down main street at that! However Kingston is a small city so it is just minutes to everything. I had a single room as travelling to an RMC event....I was sceptical of the remodeliing and asked the host if all the rooms were done..She said they only use the rooms which have been remodeled and showed me the most recent, which was a double! They are small old rooms, but done up as bright and airy as possible.The two I saw had european style fixtures, tile, and brushed stainless and glass shelving...lots of desk room, and flat screen wall mounted TV's.The value for the money was perfect for a 3 day stay,. I recommended the facility to other parents of RMC students.The "rise & shine" breakfast was like eating at home, so nothing to complain about...you deal with whats in the cupboard if you are at home!!And for the rates you must balance out what they can make available to you..but a waffle maker gets my vote(I just always dream they will have REAL maple syrup!!)
If you can read all of this review, one thing I brought to their attention, was they are installing lovely deep bath tubs...but WHO really uses a public tub...the depth I believe may be an issue for anyone with leg trouble, trying to climb in for a shower...best I could come up with for an issue! enjoy!

Room Tip: When you arrive ask to see a room recently remodelled, and then yours..I think you will be satistied...
3  Thank clem55
HS G, General Manager at Howard Johnson Inn Kingston, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2011

Thank you Clemm55 for the indepth review. When we finish the interior renovations we will begin the exterior. We are also installing a couple of tubs on the first floor which have a door to make it easier for seniors or anyone that has issues getting in or out of the tub. Hope to see you again and take care.

Reviewed 22 September 2011

We stayed here for two nights on a recent business trip to Kingston. Overall a good experience - the staff at check-in were very friendly and helpful. Yes, it is in an area of town that may come off a little bit down on its luck but we had no problem walking to and from that area of town on a busy Friday and Saturday night. The breakfast looked ok for an inclusive deal but we didn't use it as we had breakfast at our meetings elsewhere. Our room was quiet and clean enough. The electrical outlets did look like they needed some work and the painting had been rushed in places (e.g. splashes around the ceiling line etc.) The in-house shampoo, coffee etc. were all good. Generally good and we loved the staff, and we slept well.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business

Thank you kittykat99 for the review. There are a couple of local organizations that are trying to revitalize this stretch. Most properties were car dealershops that have moved to bigger locations. They are talking about a mixed residential and business plan that would involve widening the sidewalks and having more tree's along with benches. Hopefully sooner than later. Thanks again.

Reviewed 16 September 2011

Stayed there for two nights in a room with two Queens. Very clean and recently remodeled. Didn't hear any noise during our stay and was very comfortable.
Great option for a hotel close to downtown and wanting a quiet place to stay with the basics.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends

Thank you OneMegan for the kind words and hope to see you again.

Reviewed 7 August 2011

The hotel website says the rooms were remodeled in 2010. I'd hate to see them before they were remodeled, as they're not the greatest now. I'd liken the remodel as to trying to polish a turd, which is impossible. Very little parking, lobby area (which doubles as the breakfast room) has all the warmth and charm of a prison dining facility.

No "workspace" or desk in the hotel room, weak (or non-existant) air conditioning in the lobby area. I've seen Super 8's and Motel 6's with more character and charm.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
HS G, General Manager at Howard Johnson Inn Kingston, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2011

I am sorry you didnt care for the remodeled room TorontoBusguy. The remodeled rooms have new carpets, beds, drapes, tv's and new bathrooms. The lobby has seating to accomodate 24 people for breakfast. I have never recieved a complaint about the AC in the lobby and we have 50-75 people eating breakfast almost every morning. If you would like to discuss further please feel free to contact me @ info@hojokingston.com. Again, im sorry the rooms were not to your liking TorontoBusguy. Harp Grewal