“A pleasant stay”

Howard Johnson Inn Kingston
Ranked #24 of 37 Hotels in Kingston
Reviewed 4 December 2011

Overall I can't complain about the room for the price. The hotel looks a little shabby on the outside. Renovations are taking place, but the rooms are clean and comfortable. It appears that some finishing touches are still to be done. If you like a nice soft bed to sink into, you will love it here. New bathroom fixtures are a good quality. Great LCD television, fridge, microwave, free wi-fi, and breakfast is included. Beats anything in Kingston for the price.

We had a minor problem with the toilet making noises. Literally, within seconds of the front desk being notified, the maintenance fellow was at the door and fixed the problem in a few minutes. The staff are friendly and perform as well as any other hotel and better than most.

We will be back!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Little_Atlas
HS G, Manager at Howard Johnson Inn Kingston, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2012

Dear Little_Atlas, thank you for taking the time to write a review about our property. Glad you enjoyed the amenities and happy the staff dealt with your issues promptly.

Reviewed 10 November 2011

Said to be the closest motel to downtown and the seafront, the Hojo met all our expectations and we didn't pay the prices for a sea view. True, the style outside is pretty 60ish and the street in front doesn't look too good ( it is safe though ) but the rooms were fine, 2 large beds with adequate amenities, good breakfast: loved the waffle machine and there is the opportunity to play pool in the bar next door.
The main street down to the shops is full of restuarantst to be recommended by the friendly desk staff. Free parking outside the room , excellent value and we would stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Seagull_IL

Dear Seagull_IL, thank you for the review. We are happy you enjoyed your stay, the waffles and the city, we hope to see you again.

Reviewed 1 November 2011

I had read mixed reviews of this place, and was somewhat worried when I booked 5 nights here. I wanted a convenient and inexpensive place to stay while I helped with my parents move to Kingston.

As I drove in, I wondered what I was getting into. The hotel looks like a throwback to the 60's (or is it the 50's?), even though it has clearly had some paint thrown on in recent years. The neighbourhood - which I already knew from previous visits to Kingston - does not look great, even though it is not really bad.

Good reviews had mentioned newly renovated rooms, while bad reviews had mention the substantial renovations needed. I was therefore apprehensive as I opened the door to my room - and relieved to see that my room had been newly renovated.

In fact, once inside the room with curtains closed, you could well imagine being in any newly opened North American hotel chain: up to date decoration, nice choice of colors, spacious, separate wash basin outside the bathroom, flat screen TV.... really very nice and comfortable.

Breakfast was basic, but the dining room area was clean and tidy. Staff at the front desk seemed friendly.

All in all, I was satisfied with my choice, considering the rate I paid including breakfast. Would I come back and stay here on vacation with my wife and kids? Certainly not, as the appearance is not at all conducive to a vacation atmosphere, and it is not somewhere that I would really want to bring my kids. However, on my own it was fine for the time that I needed to spend in Kingston.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo

Dear From_A_to_HK, thank you for taking the time to write a review, we are glad the room met your needs and hope you visit us again.

Reviewed 25 October 2011

Previously when in Kingston I've stayed at the Econolodge, and would have gone back there if I hadn't found a great rate here at the HoJo. The two are close to one another (and there's a Super 8 between them, which I don't know), so I can compare them in this review. Both are clean and quiet, both had indifferent breakfasts - though there's a Tim's close by - so I'll just compare them where they differ. The HoJo is a two-story structure where you park at the door; the Econolodge (like the Super 8) has an inside corridor. My HoJo room had two sinks, one in the sleeping area and another in the bathroom (as well as a shower and tub), for maximum flexibility when several people are getting ready in the morning. The HoJo is five minutes closer to Queens and downtown - not much of a difference, but 15 minutes is better than 20 when it's raining. The HoJo internet connection worked well; I seem to remember some problems at the Econolodge. To sum up, although I was happy enough at the Econolodge, I've no regrets about switching to the HoJo and will probably make it my first choice next time I'm in town.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
HS G, General Manager at Howard Johnson Inn Kingston, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2011

Thank you botafogoblogger for the great review that compares our property and the Econolodge. We are very pleased we would be your first choice when you visit again. Our goal is to have every customer leave with a smile. Hopefully we will see you soon.

Reviewed 20 October 2011

Excuse the facetious review title but it has to be stated that, for its reputation - and considering the price - the HoJo at Kingston was actually pretty good!

PROS: price, cleanliness, friendliness of the reception staff (major pro), relatively modern furnishings and decor (renovations)

CONS: location (though really not that bad, just a 20 minute walk to the downtown core), exterior could do with a bit of renovation but again it's a minor con

On the whole, I could only think of two negatives which in my mind were not really dealbreakers. On the other hand, what it does have to offer - again for the price you pay - far outweighs any of the negatives.

For those travelling on a tight budget, I would definitely recommend the Howard Johnson Kingston.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo

Thank you mikey66e for the review and we are glad you gave us a try.

Reviewed 20 October 2011

I stayed there two nights wile visitng my daughter at University. She is in her second year so I have stayed at several different hotels and this one is by far the best value I have seen. The room was clean and fairly new. It was quiet and there was a breakfast included. The older heater in the room was noisy and should probably be replaced in the future. I did not require it because the room was warm enough anyway. Unless something changes I will stay here in the future.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo

Thank you pkneary for your kind words. We are very pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and considered it a good value. We have already replaced the older heating units with new ones. Hope to see you again.

Reviewed 17 October 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Howard Johnson Oct. 14 & 15/11. I had been at a conference at the Ambassador for the day and my husband met me afterward. When I first pulled up to the hotel I was a little unsure as it did look a little sketchy from the outside. My opinion sure changed as soon as I walked into the lobby. The woman at the front desk was actually smiling and seemed genuinely happy to see me. I asked if my husband had arrived and she grabbed my bag and said follow me. She took me and my luggage right up to the room. When I walked into the room I couldn't believe what I saw. The room had been completely renovated and it was very clean. The carpet was new. There was a flat screen tv on the wall above a nice big desk. The room also had a fridge and microwave and coffee maker. (if you are like me and don't like paper cups, you may want to bring your own mug) The bathroom was completely updated and our room had a separate area with it's own sink and vanity and mirror, so the second person could get ready while someone else was in the bathroom. The continental breakfast was fine (cereal, toast, apples and oranges, waffle maker, yogurt)
We loved that we were able to walk to the downtown waterfront and enjoyed the nice walk each day.
I would definitely recommend this hotel and the price was right.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank travellingdianne

Thank you travellingdianne for the postive review. Im happy Dawn was able to assist you and we are glad you liked the renovated room, hopefully we will see you again.