“Great location but the pool/hot tub broken”

Four Points Hotel and Suites Kingston
Ranked #13 of 37 Hotels in Kingston
Ottawa, Canada
“Great location but the pool/hot tub broken”
Reviewed 11 February 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Four Points Sheraton Saturday night. We were in town to see a concert at the K-Rock. Amazing location to walk to the concert and for shopping on Princess St. I wish someone had warned us that the pool was in such rough shape and the hot tub was not working at all. Not the usual standards for such an expensive hotel. I'm not sure why it is so expensive to stay in a hotel in Kingston!

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank turboturtle1616
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Four Points Hotel and Suites Kingston, responded to this review, 14 February 2013
turboturtle1616,
Thank you for your review. We're glad you stayed with us at Four Points as our guests. I apologize for the hot tub not working at the time of your visit. Your feedback is important to me and we'll work on making improvements. I hope you had a great time at the K-Rock and visiting Kingston. Please visit us again as we hope to provide a more positive experience.
Andrew Holmes, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
Ontario
Reviewed 4 February 2013

In the heart of downtown Kingston, a short walk from the waterfront, boutique stores and restaurants. The room was quiet - no noisy fans or heaters, and dark - no extra blinking lights from clocks, thermostats etc. We had a great view of the waterfront too. Free bottles of water and free wifi - yay! Beds were wonderfully comfortable. Parking is underneath the hotel and is included in the rate. Very, very convenient.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Four Points Hotel and Suites Kingston, responded to this review, 11 February 2013
oc3anz,
Thank you for your review and letting other viewers know of our wonderful hotel. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us, and I hope you'll visit us again. We enjoyed having you as our guest and hope to see you soon.
Saskatoon, Canada
Reviewed 28 January 2013

I booked a block of rooms in this hotel asit was the host hotel for our sports event while in Kingston.

When we checked our group into the hotel, no room keys were ready and we were told that everyone had to show ID to get their room key, then they didn't, then there was an issue with the room cost. ONe of our later check-in rooms had to produce his credit card, but we had sorted that part out when we checked in our main group of rooms. It was very confusing and not very smooth at all!

It is very close to evenything, the staff was very helpful, rooms were okay. Although the walls are very thin and you can hear "everything" in adjacent rooms.

The we checked out! The rate we were charged seemed to be different that what we were quoted. We paid the bill and I asked the sales person to contact me as I was staying a day later and could talk with them better at that point. She never talked to me because she had a meeting, I did get a phone call from the front desk saying they had the file and read to me a n email stating the regular rates etc. It was not the email I had saying how much a room was per night, however, this email was at my home and not handy for me to pull out.

Room Tip: My room was on the forth floor, which was fine. It faced a main street but there was no street noise...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Four Points Hotel and Suites Kingston, responded to this review, 5 February 2013
salleseguin,
Thank you for writing a review. We appreciate you and your group staying with us at Four Points Kingston. I apologize for your experience not being a satisfying one with us. We will review your comments as a team and improve upon them. Thank you for your feedback. We welcome you to visit us again as we hope to provide a more positive experience.
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 21 January 2013 via mobile

This hotel is trying to be Eco-friendly, but the result is a very dark room. There is no overhead light in the center of the room. The only light is from two small, dim bulbs by the bed and a lamp on the desk. In the winter, it gets dark quite early and the sun doesn't rise until late, so this is not very practical or nice for guests.

The location of the hotel is fine. Central, by the hub and reasonably close to the university.

Terrible tv reception, very grainy. Also the heating system which would come on from an overhead vent periodically was very loud.

I should think there are better spots to stay while in Kingston without these issues.

• Stayed January 2013
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Four Points Hotel and Suites Kingston, responded to this review, 29 January 2013
Andrea1014,
Thank you for your review. We're glad you chose to stay with us at Four Points Kingston. I appreciate your feedback about your experience with us. I apologize if you found your room too dark. We are Eco-friendly but certainly want our guests to feel comfortable and satisfied with their stay. Thank you again for your comments. We do hope you'll visit us again as we enjoyed having you as our guest.
Toronto
Reviewed 19 January 2013

Nice, clean hotel, which is located in the centre of charming Kingston. Friendly staff. Clean rooms. Good size pool and small but practical exercise room. Good value also. Check out one of the nice pubs in the immediate vicinity. My favourite is the Kingston Brewing Company--a minute walk from the hotel. Restaurant in hotel has tasty offerings at a reasonable price.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Four Points Hotel and Suites Kingston, responded to this review, 25 January 2013
PopeBiff,
Thank you for your review. We're glad to hear from you, and we're delighted to know that you enjoyed your visit with us. I'm glad you liked our clean and comfortable rooms as well as our friendly staff. It's great to hear that you enjoyed our surrounding area as well. I'm glad you had a good time. Please come and visit us again soon.
Picton, Canada
Reviewed 9 January 2013

Stayed overnight to enjoy downtown Kingston in the festive season. First time we have stayed at this hotel and will return as everything was satisfactory. Room was very spacious, modern and clean. Was very peaceful which was surprising as there were Christmas parties being held in the function rooms. Were actually woken up by very young children constantly banging their hotel room door but can't blame the hotel for that, only the inconsiderate parents. Checking in and out was very easy as was the parking in the heated, indoor car park. Will stay at this hotel again as the location is excellent.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Four Points Hotel and Suites Kingston, responded to this review, 18 January 2013
josypcat,
Thank you for writing a review and letting us know of your pleasant stay with us. We appreciate you choosing to stay with us while enjoying the Kingston downtown area. I'm glad you had a great time and hope you'll visit us again soon.
Toronto
Reviewed 16 December 2012

We have been monthly guests at the Four Points Sheraton for at least a year and less regular guests for years before that. We had always been happy with the service we received (as attested to by my prior reviews). The hotel itself was always ok but having spent so much time there over the years we always came back since our daughter felt it was 'homey.' We were there about a week after the management change. Our stay was fine; the room service was better than we'd ever had it although there were some items unavailable as they were changing over all their suppliers. But overall our stay was fine. A month later was a totally different experience. We ordered the same items from room service since they'd been so good the month before and really, they were terrible this time. But the most problematic was that the chlorine levels in the pool were so high that my daughter developed a nasty rash over the few days we were there and one of my nieces couldn't go back in the pool after about 20 minutes since she was reacting so badly. We always swim 5-10 times per visit and this was the first time we had ever had such an experience. Everyone coming into the pool area to check out the facilities commented on how strong the chlorine was. Both my daughter's swimsuit and my own were noticeably lighter in colour after the weekend. We asked the front desk staff while we there and also another staff who we bumped into in the hall -- one staff member commented that the former owners were pretty skimpy so maybe the chlorine levels were now just where they were supposed to have been all along (so good to hear!). I followed up when we got home since we were booking our December trip in but nobody was willing to really address my concerns. I was told that the maintenance person would call me back (I left a message); was told that nothing had changed etc. And finally, when booking another hotel through the Starwoods Preferred Guest Program, I mentioned our disappointment with this in passing and the agent I was talking with called the hotel for me. She got exactly the same response from whoever she spoke to there but suggested that someone from the hotel should follow up with me but again, no-one ever did. It's honestly mystifying to me why a hotel would be so unresponsive to one of its regular guests -- we order room services (at least 3 of our meals), stay for 2 nights monthly, and even had our daughter's birthday there one year. We've given up at this point and are glad to see that other people are having good experiences at the hotel but sad that ours turned out to be so disappointing.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Four Points Hotel and Suites Kingston, responded to this review, 27 December 2012
CordeliaToronto,
Thank you for writing a review and sharing your experience with us at Four Points. It is with great regret that your recent visit with us was an unpleasant one. I apologize for our maintenance issue with our pool. We have rectified the issue but certainly apologize for any inconveniences it may have caused you or your family members. I also apologize for not communicating with you directly. I would like to reach out to you and offer my personal apology. Your satisfaction is important to us. We love having you and your family as our guests and hope to continue serving you. Please feel free to contact me directly. I hope to hear from you soon. Thanks again.