“The Gold Standard in B&B's”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Rosemount B&B Inn

Rosemount B&B Inn
Ranked #3 of 22 Kingston B&B and Inns
Cambridge, Canada
“The Gold Standard in B&B's”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2007

We stay at the Rosemount Inn about 4 times a year and have been doing so since 1999. It is the best place to stay in Kingston - and we have stayed at 5 different B&B's in the area.
Where do I begin? The rooms are quite cozy and comfortable. We ended up buying a new mattress at home, since what we had wasn't up to the Rosemount standard. What we like is the peaceful sleep you get - including an afternoon nap. It helps that it is located on a quiet street.
The living room is a good place to meet fellow guests. Tea and goodies are laid on at 4:00.
Breakfasts are generous and we always waddle away from the table quite full. There are two breakfast sittings and all of the guests sit together. Here, too, is a great place to meet people and share experiences and information on the sights of Kingston. They pay attention to food allergies and dislikes, which they ask you about at check-in.
The spa is a welcome treat. We always make sure to have a massage, back exfoliation and facial. They are extremely good at what they do.
Katie - the resident golden retriever - is a doll. The guests just love to pet her her and give her tummy rubs. Of course, she soaks this up gratefully.
I can't go without saying a few things about Kingston. The Rosemount Inn has the greatest location. It is walking distance from most of the sights you'd wan't to see here. Holly is great at letting you know about events, restaurants and places to see. We always run out of time before running out of things to do.

• Liked — Mattress, spa, Katie, location, breakfast
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple
5 Thank DrSQL

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2007

Well we finally did it. We took a chance and went to a Bed and Breakfast. After staying at the Rosemount for 2 nights, I am afraid that we started at the top and are going to be dissapointed with other B & B's that we are planning to use.
The property is very Victorian, loads of real antiques to actually sit and use, not props.. The owner was great in helping us contact a great restaurant for supper and all the sites we should see.

The highlight of the two days was "Breakfast". It was prepared by a real Chef, not a short order cook, and was superb. Dinners are being planned for the future.

I have never done a review before, and have travelled all over the world, but thought this little piece of paradise should get the nod from me. Will return, if for no other reason, the food. Thanks.

Bob Parent

• Liked — Rooms and food
  • Disliked — Parking
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple
3 Thank sandmanOxfordMills
Ottawa, Ontario
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2007

We first went to the Rosemount Inn for our girls first get-away weekend in Kingston in July 2006. We loved it so much that this started a tradition and we returned again July 6-8 this year. We were not disappointed - it is a faboulous place. Classy with the feel of a private home. Holly the owner and Katie (the most friendly, well-behaved and smart golden retriever we have ever met) were friendly and accommodating. Holly's knowledge of things to do in Kingston makes the stay in this beautiful city (and the original capital of Canada) much more enjoyable.

We are planning to go back again next year. Whoever said it was bad obviously has no taste. It is absolutely wonderful from the comfortable rooms to the common areas where one can relax with coffee in the morning while reading the supplied newspapers and have tea and cookies in the afternoon with Holly and other guests. A lovely porch safe from the elements and a beautiful garden to walk around and relax in.

Keep it up Holly - it is a great place to stay. Thankyou.

Janet, Jane and Lize

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with friends
4 Thank PHANTOMCAT
kingston
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2007

When I booked a day at the Rosemount Inn and Spa, I was really excited. The lady on the phone and I spoke for awhile, and I booked a
full body spa treatment, full body waxing treatment and a facial. She
quotes me 3 hours and 200 dollars. Well... on the day of, it was mistake after mistake. First of all, the full body spa treatment was over in 20 minutes- a task that should take 85. I questioned this and
the esthetician informed me the services were recorded wrong. She began again (with the right exfoliation treatment) but cut 20 minutes
out. Then, while waxing, she ran out of wax strips and I had to wait there for half an hour.. lying on the bed doing nothing. Finally, she
suggested going on to the facial, and I agreed. The facial was dissapointing as well. There were 2 interruptions and I was way too cold under the blankets to enjoy it. This was probably due to the fact the spa was in the basement of the inn. The facial should have been 45 minutes long, but she cut it by 15 minutes. Even with all that, she still went over TWO hours. The entire time, I attempted to be understanding and kind. After all, she had only been working for 3
weeks. However, I had HAD it when I went upstairs and the charge came
out to almost FOUR HUNDRED dollars. Had they inititially told me this, I would never have booked there. The only consolation was I got
a free body moisturizing treatment after the waxing. I could not believe it. if this spa is any indication of the way the Inn is run, then I strongly recommend against going near the place!!

• Stayed July 2007, travelled solo
6 Thank shortie61
Toronto
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2007

We overnighted at the Rosemount, I am a fan of the Ontario Finest Inns having stayed at others. This inn in my opinion is by far the worst of the inns, and does not warrant it's designation as one of the top three country inns. I found the decor to be dated and not in keeping with the era to which the home belongs. Compared to other Inns and top end B & B's that we have stayed at we found the rooms to be lacking in decor. Further to this the inn was extremely overpriced and the value for money was not there. The breakfast was skimpy and lacking in choice and variety and the portions were small. It definetly was not a gourmet breakfast by the standards of Ontario's Finest Inns.

I think that the owner should rethink her business strategy and incorporate items that would warrant the price that she is charging.

• Liked — The owner recommended places to visit in town
  • Disliked — the breakfast and the price
7 Thank cakmph
Ottawa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2007

We stayed at the Rosemount B&B in May 2007. We found it to be a comfortable, relaxed, calm location with excellent breakfasts. General comments first, followed by a suggestion of "Top 5 things to do in Kingston".

The building itself is stone and very attractive. Bathrooms were updated, with lots of hot water and kept clean. The decor is Victorian-ish-- think antiques, old framed photos combined with cozy pillows and wooden furnishings. Location is within walking distance to everything you want to visit in Kingston. Would suit couples and singles, families with older children, great for girl’s weekend away. Atmosphere would not best suit a family with small children.

Suggested improvements:
Service was very efficient. could be a bit more warm/ friendly, especially at breakfast time when more staff could assist with the extra coffees and OJs that are invariably requested.

Top 5 things to do in Kingston:
1 EAT! Woodenheads on Ontario Street, Chien Noir and Casa Domenico are favourites for dinner; Chez Piggy patio and Pan Chancho offer great lunch options.
2 Princess street shopping, great shoes at “Heel Boy”, several nice spas
3 Walk along the water front, then up into the Queen's University Campus. Make sure you see Kingston City Hall-- the site of Canada's original Parliament when Canada was only Upper Canada (Ontario-- with Kingston as the nation's capital every other year) and Lower Canada (Quebec-- with Montreal as the capital every other year-- how Canadian!)
4 Take a boat cruise of the 1,000 islands
5 Visit Fort Henry

• Liked — Location, charm, comfort
  • Disliked — a bit pricey for Kingston
6 Thank oxon-ottawa
Toronto, Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2007

The Rosemount is simply the most fabulous and delightful B&B in Kingston. My husband and I have stayed at the Inn several times over the last 5 years. The Inn and the rooms are gorgeous (try to get one with a soaker/jacuzzi tub - one of our favourite rooms is The Loft - not the biggest, but certainly the most charming and the tub is to die for!). Holly, the Innkeeper, offers impeccable customer service; the afternoon "tea time" snacks and the breakfasts are beyond fabulous; and Kingston itself is a lovely "walkable" town. You simply can't go wrong.
We have never had a bad experience, whereas we have occasionally (when the Rosemount has been full) had to stay elsewhere and it has been hit and miss.
I should have written this review years ago, but better late than never.... :)

7 Thank CAA1