“Cheap and Nasty”

Ranked #28 of 37 Hotels in Kingston
Ottawa, Canada
“Cheap and Nasty”
Reviewed 8 February 2013

The worst experience I have ever had at a hotel. Stumbled in there hammered out of my skull at 4 in the morning and forgot room number. When I tried the room that I though I was staying in the key unlocked the door, however the deadbolt was set. I began cursing my friend who was passed out, however a sweet old lady replied that I had the wrong room. So I went the the front desk to find out what my actual room number was and the character at the desk (who was too busy playing world of Warcraft) wouldn't tell me my damn room number. His reply was "sorry its hotel policy". Even more pissed now I though I would try every room until i found the one that my things were in even if it meant opening more random doors.

Finally after finding my room and a terrible sleep on bed that felt like the forest floor, I awoke to a "continental breakfast" as they call it which included toast, cereal, and a slab of peanut butter. After the wonderful experience I will never go back.

Enjoy your stay...

Room Tip: Holiday Inn
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Vincent G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 23 January 2013

The location of the hotel is excellent, but the hotel is in desperate need of an update. The price was reasonable. We stayed on the main floor, which was fine, except that the sliding doors were broken, the televison was not hooked up properly and the bathroom appeared that it had not been properly cleaned after the last guest. On the postive side the staff were very nice and helpful. After we returned home, i emailed the hotel and notified them of the problems. The manager promptly responded, apologized profusely and suggested that if we returned to kingston to let them have the opportunity to make up to us for our poor experience. A month or two later we returned to kingston and decided to give the hotel another chance. We had absolutely no problem this time everything was fine and we would definitely return again, keeping in mind that the hotel is a little weathered and could use an update, we were pleased with our stay and the wonderful attitude of the management.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Waterloo, Canada
Reviewed 28 September 2012

The location is great for the price.
Very busy downtown location.
All the hotels close by were 2x times the price.
And if you want an 6 star then you will place $200. plus an night
We are very happy with this hotel and the room was clean and
had a view of the lake.
Eat downtown and visited a few places at night for a cold drink.
The breakfast was great, coffee, juice, toast and muffins.
Just like Cuba when you play for a 3 star and get a 3 star.

Room Tip: lake view rooms only
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank max010145
Qualicum Beach, Canada
Reviewed 13 September 2012

We stayed here for two nights while delivering my son to Queen's to begin his first year. The hotel is perfectly located on the water and downtown, and the staff were universally pleasant and helpful. However, the condition of the hotel is appalling. Everything is terribly worn, from carpets to wallpaper to bathtubs to... you get the idea. Even the doorknobs were worn out. And it smelled musty everywhere. The air conditioner did work, in spite of missing one knob and looking like it had been beaten with a baseball bat.

The prices were what you would expect of a high-class hotel in the downtown of a reasonably large city. This, however, is not a reasonably large city - it's a fairly small one. And this is not a high class hotel. It probably was about 30 years ago when the last maintenance was done on it, but not today.

Find another hotel. This one could only be recommended for the staff and location. The price and condition were completely at odds with each other.

Room Tip: Choose one in a different hotel.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank BJPGallagher
London
Reviewed 10 September 2012

Not one of my better experiences - the chamber maid with long black hair needs to tie it back when she cleans - her hair was everywhere - in the bath, on the sheets, on the carpet and on the towels - it was revolting. Breakfast was poor with watery coffee and only bread or sugary cereal on offer. Find somewhere else!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rachel W
Windsor, Canada
Reviewed 5 September 2012

My family of 5 stayed at this hotel for 4 nights. This was the only hotel that had 3 double beds in a single room. Yes, the hallway carpets are in need of replacement as they are badly stained. The lobby seemed nice and updated. The room was ok, beds were comfortable. Location is excellent. Continental breakfast was very basic, but did the job. Parking in Kingston is crazy. I asked the front desk clerk, Delaney for suggestions. She was very informative and offered ideas & options of nearby lots. During our stay, I mentioned to her that we were considering the 1000 island discovery cruise. She quickly found some coupons for us, which saved us some money. The hotel is average, but the staff (especially Delaney) was excellent.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank picky006_12
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 26 August 2012

We stayed at this hotel last night. The location is excellent. The hotel lobby was dark and smelled musky. The staff advised us that the parking garage was full, so we were on our own to find parking. The elevators were dark and shaky. The hallway on the 4th floor was dark and smelled musky, ceiling tiles were stained yellow from water leaks, the carpets were heavily stained. Our room was clean, but the wallpaper was peeling off the wall and the furniture was dated. We saw no evidence of recent renovations. The hotel is old, run down, and poorly managed. Way over-priced, we would not recommend this hotel.

Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple