“Needs updating but still very comfortable”

Confederation Place Hotel
Ranked #27 of 37 Hotels in Kingston
Cannington
“Needs updating but still very comfortable”
Reviewed 18 June 2013

I've stayed at the Confederation Place initially as an accomodation while taking treatments at Kingston General Hospital. I've also stayed here as a personal choice at other times. Scott, the day manager, is super; he will help in any way he can. He has recommended restaurants, things to do etc. He is very knowledgable and so friendly!

Rooms are comfortable with plenty of pillows! I love that there is a window that will open if you are wanting fresh air. Views of the harbour and marina are excellent on the waterfront side of the hotel.

The location of the hotel is the best. It is at the foot of the downtown and the waterfront. Food eateries, the arena, Market Square are all within walking distance. Once you park the car in the underground parking (additional fee, boo!) you may not move the car until you check out.

The hotel offers a free breakfast including cereal, assorted bread items, yogurt, hard cooked eggs, fruit and muffins, with assorted beverages.

An update to the hotel would improve the rating for Confederation Place. The rooms are a little tired and could use some updating and freshening up!

Would I stay here again? Absolutely! The pros outweigh the cons so much.
As they say in real-estate, Location, Location, Location. There are other, newer hotels within blocks, but you pay through the nose . Confederation Place is still budget friendly for the traveller.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Toronto, Ont.
Reviewed 11 June 2013

I sat down on the bed and a bug jumped on my arm. Need I say more? Well, I will: the garbage can hadn't been cleaned out, there were crumbs on the desk chair and the phone didn't work. I didn't even stay one night.

I must say, though. The clerk at the front desk was a lovely young man and made no attempt to convince me to stay. He should go and work at a better hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank WendyRG
India
Reviewed 6 June 2013

This hotel has so much potential, could have been much better! The views are gorgeous, and the location one of the best, esp for the 1000 Island Cruises. It's also very close to restaurants, the Market Square, etc ... room was quite nice, beds were fine, and mercifully, the linen clean,. However, furniture etc was dusty, needed a good dusting!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Minarette
Lasalle, Quebec, Canada
Reviewed 2 June 2013

Confederation place hotel is located right on the waterfront. Our room was very spacious but the bathroom was small. I am in a wheelchair and upon request a toilet seat raiser with grab bars and a support bar attached to the bathtub were installed. The front entrance has steps but the side entrance through the garage has direct access to the elevators. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 21 May 2013

My wife and I spent one night at this property during the Victoria Day weekend. Our riverfront room on the 6th floor had a fabulous view over the marina and the boarding pier for Thousand Islands cruises. The room was a bit worn, but very clean and spacious and the beds were very comfortable. Linens and towels were impeccable. All in all, we really loved our stay.

The staff was also extremely friendly and helpful. The hotel has underground parking for an extra $15, but there is also a less expensive parking lot across the street. The only hitch was the included Continental breakfast, with its extremely limited selection.

Nevertheless, our overall experience was very good and we will sure return to this hotel next time we travel to Kingston.

Room Tip: Definitely ask for a riverfront room on a higher floor.
Toronto
Reviewed 10 May 2013

This hotel is right on the Harbour over-looking the tour and private boats. The lobby, garage and elevators are quite drab and dreary, but the rooms are quite nice with comfortable beds and marvelous views. I book it on hotels.ca. Wish I had made time for a tour of the 1000 Islands. I'll make another trip just for a tour.

Room Tip: ask for 5th floor with a water view
Guelph, Canada
Reviewed 5 May 2013

Stayed here for 1 night in May 2013 for a wedding in town.

The lobby/resturant area is quite nice. Very clean and well maintained.

The room was fair. Wallpaper was coming off walls in spots and bathroom sink cracked, toilet bowl discoloured and in rough shape. We did get a good night's sleep and the bedding was nice and clean, room overall was clean but very institution-like with cement ceilings and metal doors joinging your room to the ones on either side. We got a good night sleep so that's the most important thing.

Had a nice sized flat panel TV, AC worked well and was quiet, fridge and microwave in room.

Wireless internet speed and connection was decent, better than most places we'vestayed lately. Free breakfast was very limited. Cold cereal, bread and (stale) muffins, might have been slices or oranges available. They told us to help ourselves to the muffins as they were throwing them out...that would explain the staleness. Not a deal breaker but if you're goign to feed guests offer fresh food.

Parked across the street as my truck wouldn't fit in the underground parking (max clearance of 6 feet) rate was $8 until 7am. We left at 930am on a SUnday and didnt have a ticket or anything for staying past 7am (which is quite early in my opinion).

I'd rate the lobby/restaurant area a 4 out of 5.
I'd rate the room at 2.5 out of 5 (for the price).

The hallways and other public areas would get a rating of 0 (ZERO). We were feeling pretty good about the hotel when we got into the elevator. When we got off on the fourth floor all sense of relief went out the window. The hallways in this hotel are disgusting! Dropped ceiling was stained everywhere and the carpets look like they belong at a crime scene. I can't describe the odours in the hallway in a way that would do them justice so I won't try but wow, what a collection of bad smells.

The ice machine/drink machine was located on floors 3 and 5. I was told to use 3 as the ones on 5 were often out of order. Went to 3 and got my ice, noticed someone had taken a hammer to the pop machine and made off with the change box then quickly made my way back to my room! lol

To summarize....lobby good, room ok...hallways and elevators are down right scary. I'd think I was in some kind of homeless shelter if I was to try and guess where I was just based on the hallways. Not to take away from the room as it was decent and no major complaints about the room itself. Hallways/elevators are beyond excusable.

Would not stay here again and actually looking to increase my hotel budget as we've been in a few stinkers lately. I need to stop being so cheap so I can submit some good reviews again!

Room Tip: Go to Holiday Inn or another nearby hotel and pay a few extra bucks.
1 Thank cdnmr