“A big dissapointment”

Confederation Place Hotel
Ranked #27 of 37 Hotels in Kingston
Reviewed 27 June 2013

Booked this hotel on line as it sounded quite fine - on the water, great location and advertised as great views. We arrived and as soon as I saw the chap on the front desk in a grey white shirt and the dirty carpet, I knew it wasn't going to be a pretty picture. We got on the elevator and the mat looked like it hadn't been cleaned or vacuumed in months. The hallway leading to the room was dirty, the carpets stained, the walls chipped. We got into the room and would have left if I hadn't already paid too much for the room. I turned down the bed to see if there were any creepy crawlers; looked up and there was, I don't know what, some kinda bug on the wall. My partner killed it. We managed to stay the one night - didn't shower in the morning as the bathroom was too creepy. The only thing positive I can say is that the location was good though when you think of it, Kingston is a small place and any location in town is good...okay, maybe a half a mark!

Room Tip: Pick another hotel
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 18 June 2013

I've stayed at the Confederation Place initially as an accomodation while taking treatments at Kingston General Hospital. I've also stayed here as a personal choice at other times. Scott, the day manager, is super; he will help in any way he can. He has recommended restaurants, things to do etc. He is very knowledgable and so friendly!

Rooms are comfortable with plenty of pillows! I love that there is a window that will open if you are wanting fresh air. Views of the harbour and marina are excellent on the waterfront side of the hotel.

The location of the hotel is the best. It is at the foot of the downtown and the waterfront. Food eateries, the arena, Market Square are all within walking distance. Once you park the car in the underground parking (additional fee, boo!) you may not move the car until you check out.

The hotel offers a free breakfast including cereal, assorted bread items, yogurt, hard cooked eggs, fruit and muffins, with assorted beverages.

An update to the hotel would improve the rating for Confederation Place. The rooms are a little tired and could use some updating and freshening up!

Would I stay here again? Absolutely! The pros outweigh the cons so much.
As they say in real-estate, Location, Location, Location. There are other, newer hotels within blocks, but you pay through the nose . Confederation Place is still budget friendly for the traveller.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 June 2013

I sat down on the bed and a bug jumped on my arm. Need I say more? Well, I will: the garbage can hadn't been cleaned out, there were crumbs on the desk chair and the phone didn't work. I didn't even stay one night.

I must say, though. The clerk at the front desk was a lovely young man and made no attempt to convince me to stay. He should go and work at a better hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank WendyRG
Reviewed 6 June 2013

This hotel has so much potential, could have been much better! The views are gorgeous, and the location one of the best, esp for the 1000 Island Cruises. It's also very close to restaurants, the Market Square, etc ... room was quite nice, beds were fine, and mercifully, the linen clean,. However, furniture etc was dusty, needed a good dusting!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Minarette
Reviewed 2 June 2013

Confederation place hotel is located right on the waterfront. Our room was very spacious but the bathroom was small. I am in a wheelchair and upon request a toilet seat raiser with grab bars and a support bar attached to the bathtub were installed. The front entrance has steps but the side entrance through the garage has direct access to the elevators. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 May 2013

My wife and I spent one night at this property during the Victoria Day weekend. Our riverfront room on the 6th floor had a fabulous view over the marina and the boarding pier for Thousand Islands cruises. The room was a bit worn, but very clean and spacious and the beds were very comfortable. Linens and towels were impeccable. All in all, we really loved our stay.

The staff was also extremely friendly and helpful. The hotel has underground parking for an extra $15, but there is also a less expensive parking lot across the street. The only hitch was the included Continental breakfast, with its extremely limited selection.

Nevertheless, our overall experience was very good and we will sure return to this hotel next time we travel to Kingston.

Room Tip: Definitely ask for a riverfront room on a higher floor.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 May 2013

This hotel is right on the Harbour over-looking the tour and private boats. The lobby, garage and elevators are quite drab and dreary, but the rooms are quite nice with comfortable beds and marvelous views. I book it on hotels.ca. Wish I had made time for a tour of the 1000 Islands. I'll make another trip just for a tour.

Room Tip: ask for 5th floor with a water view
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple