“A terrific family breakfast”
Review of Ramekins

Ramekins
Ranked #80 of 435 Restaurants in Kingston
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Seafood, Canadian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 1 July 2014

A good breakfast for me is as follows - two fried eggs, sunny-side up, three strips of bacon [ belly of pork fried to a crisp], home fries, ketchup for the fries and two slices of white bread toasted; coffee and an iced water on the side. That should cost me about $7 - $8. Now, here's why the breakfast at Ramekins was exceptional and only a smidgin more expensive than a chain resto brekkie.

There was my wife and I, our two grown sons and their pal. Between the five of us we sampled the whole of the breakfast menu and we were, all of us, satisfied and well pleased with our choices. My 'good' breakfast was three fried eggs, three strips bacon, and what they call 'back' bacon which is otherwise known around Ontario as 'pea meal bacon' - two pieces of beautiful 3" x 1.5" extra-lean pork - and some hash browns with two slices of white toast. Now that I reflect on it I could have asked for fried tomato too!
But it was a wholly satisfying breakfast and since we arrived at the restaurant a little after 11 AM ( the place only opens at 11AM) I was starving and ready for a big meal. With the very excellent coffee my portion came to approximately $8 which I think is very reasonable for the quantity and quality of the breakfast dish.
The ambiance is old fashioned,painted-over brickwork and wood paneling - the only reason I feel unable to give the place 5 bullets is on account of the quality of the service - it was slow! I mean slow-ish really as the waitress was slow to take our orders and was hard to flag down for coffee refills. Or maybe I was just to hungry to wait the extra minutes! Otherwise I would go back again for a late breakfast any time but since we normally want to eat breakfast at 7AM we needs must go to the chain restos to deal with early morning hunger pangs. We recommend the place highly - so friendly and sparkling clean throughout. My wife tells me that the total came to approximately $62 for the 5 of us - not bad at all!

There are newer reviews for Ramekins

Reviewed 13 June 2014

First time visit while in the area. Nice lunch menu. Enjoyed the French onion soup and salad combo although I did find the soup to be a bit on the salty side. Husband had the hot corned beef and said it was good although it came toasted which wasn't to his liking. Really enjoyed the blueberry pie for dessert. Tasted like homemade! Would go back.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

We attended a small wedding reception at Ramekins, and the bride mentioned more than once that the owner/chef was very accommodating and helpful. We had amazing hot/cold appetizers, followed by a selection of 4 entree choices. The Salmon was out of this world --- such a treat to have it perfectly cooked. Hubby said the Chicken Kiev was tender and full of flavor, too. Both the soup and the salad were way above average, too!
The bride & groom said that Ramekins is famous for their "Sticky Toffee Pudding" and hubby now knows why. My tastbuds called for their Strawberry Cheesecake - oh my! It was the light, fluffy style, cut in a square and topped with strawberry sauce and it was terrific. We will return whenever possible!

Reviewed 15 May 2014

First time there and will go back. Food was fantastic, very well prepared and cooked. Reasonable price for a three course meal. Waitress were wonderful and very friendly. Water glasses are always filled.

Reviewed 15 May 2014

Last evening we went to Ramekins with friends and each of us of us had selections from the Specials of the day menu. Each selection priced the same at just under $20.00.

Everything was superb and proportions were very generous.

One of the starters was Caesar salad. Not just a few pieces of romaine with commercial dressing but about a generous cupful of nice crisp Romaine adorned with grated Parmesan cheese and bacon bits, almost a meal in itself.

Each of us had a different entré from the selections offered and all of us thoroughly enjoyed their selection. All the meals were attractively plated, the serving temperature was ideal and the assortment of vegetables were nicely cooked. All in all the meals could not have been any better, great job!

Included in the price for the meal was a desert selection of six different choices nicely presented and delicious.

The service was excellent and tables set with table clothes and cloth napkins.

Great value, great food, great atmosphere, a perfect experience.

To top everything off, the waiter who looked after us was engaging, courteous and efficient.

A totally great experience.