“Half Thai/Cambodian: All Good”
Review of Siem Reap

Siem Reap
Ranked #117 of 435 Restaurants in Kingston
Cuisines: Cambodian, Thai
Reviewed 6 November 2013

Located in a strip mall along Princess Street well away from the Downtown core, this non-descript little restaurant does not stand out. If not recommended by our host at the Green Acres Inn (a short drive to the east), where we were staying while visiting Kingston in late October, my wife and I would not have decided to try it out for dinner.

Once inside, we started to wonder because the décor was extremely minimalist, the half a dozen tables and chairs plain, and there was only one other couple in the place. It was late in the evening, we'd had a long drive from Stowe, Vermont, so we decided to stay. The hostess approached cheerfully with menus, cutlery and two glasses of water. After a cursory greeting she left to answer the shrill ringing of the phone by the cash register. While we checked out the menu, she answered the phone several times, wrote down take-out orders, then walked them into the out-of-view kitchen.

Both of us settled on exotic chicken dishes. My wife chose a spicy Cambodian curried dish, while I picked a less spicy dish, the Thai Ginger chicken. Both were reasonably priced at just over $10 each. While we waited, a steady stream of walk-in customers came to pick up their take-outs. This was to us a sure sign that the food here was delicious.

In about 10 minutes our own meals were brought to the table. Both featured a heaping amount of rice and a very generous serving of chicken with green and red pepper strips. One bite confirmed our hotel hostesses' recommendation. The dishes tasted amazingly good. We dug in with gusto and quickly finished everything on our plates. Very satisfied, we paid our meager bill at the cash register. Out of curiosity, I asked about the name of the restaurant. The hostess smiled and told us that "Siem" was a Thai word she'd picked because her mother is from Thailand while "Riep" was Cambodian because that's where her dad's from. Cute.

So, if you ever find yourself in Kingston and want a restaurant that serves really tasty food, we heartily recommend this place.

1  Thank curtiejoe
There are newer reviews for Siem Reap

Reviewed 3 September 2013

I always love going to Siem Reap no matter what I choose I love it. #11 is my favourite though. Also the spring rolls, pad thai, spicy chicken and shrimp. I haven't had a meal I wasn't happy with yet!

1  Thank mfougere
Reviewed 2 September 2013

The food here is great. The spring rolls are especially yummy! We've ordered take out many times and have not been disappointed. I might agree that sometimes the meat portions are a little lacking but we continue to enjoy. It's a family run business and that comes through in the quality of the food. For me personally, I find the atmosphere a little lacking so we always choose to take out. This comment in no way impacts the quality of the food it's just a note for those who might be considering a nice night out and are looking to enjoy a drink with dinner...then this is probably not the place. If your looking for really good Thai/Cambodian food, this place is great!

Reviewed 22 July 2013

Either eat in or take out this freshly prepared Thai/Cambodian food. Flavours are good but there are too few veggies. Service is fast and friendly and while the decor is basic, it is clean. Their fresh rolls and Number 4 are my favourites.

Reviewed 6 June 2013

Watery sauce, meager amount of meat. The dish was very salty and lacking character. Not much atmosphere here.

2  Thank C_C-C-C_1295