“Rude and ignorant”

Ranked #30 of 37 Hotels in Kingston
Canada
“Rude and ignorant”
Reviewed 15 June 2008

We made reservations in April for 2 rooms for the price of 75$ a room.When we arrived the manager told us that the man wasn,t vacating his room so we said ok give us another room and he said yes but we would have to pay more.He was rude and ignorant.They didn,t even have a place to check in.The rooms were very nice but very dirty it looked like they were starting to sweep the floor in the bathroom and forgot to pick up the dirt.We went to the restaurant for breakfast and I could have cooked a better breakfast.Especially if i wanted it cold.Well all i have to say is that if you have a choice Don,t stay there,because i now i will never ever.

Stayed June 2008
1 Thank KendallCanada

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
kingston
Reviewed 10 June 2008

I had planned my One-Year Anniversary with my Fiancee on Wolfe Island. The Island is a beautiful spot, and very quaint, we enjoyed cycling, exploring, and the fresh air - the only downside experienced there all day, was the rude experience and minimal expectations that met us at the General Wolfe Hotel. This ruined our anniversary. 'Checking-in' was alright, I guess... although I felt like the staf was 'doing us a favour' by taking the time to check us in... The rooms are isolated down dark & narrow hallways. To save money, it's apparent that the owner has instructed to the cleaning (??) staff to not change the sheets if they appear 'mostley clean' or 'hardley used', as well as 'Do Not Replace' the mini-shampoo or soaps if there is still some unused portions left from the previous occupants... We didn't want to spend alot of time in the lousy room with an extrordinary view of an old parking lot, so we tried to go eat in the restaurant on the level floor. The food was 'passable' and the wait was a long, long time, and they charge way too much for the 'Diner Quality' fare. In the morning, in a haste to get out of this establishment, I forgot to return the key to the 'front desk' (which is actually the mostly unattended 'bar'). I realized this once I reached the mainland and immediately called the hotel to inform them of my mistake and to apologize, and as I had to work that afternoon, I asked if I could return the keys that evening. Unfortunate for me, I got Mostafa, who is the owner, and he was not pleased to say the least. I apologized, and he yelled at me to get the key back right away threatening to charge me for another day! I asked him if it could wait a few hours and asked him if they did not have a 'back-up' key to get into the room, and he informed me that they did, but that didn't matter, and he wanted me to get immediately on the next ferry back & return the key to the hotel. I complied because I was worried that he was going to charge me for an extra day's stay, as he said he would if the key didn't come back immediately. Hopefully these reviews help the owner realize that with little effort he can really make a great business out of a place & location the has great potential, but just needs a little more of that 'human touch' and a concern about the guest and that they have a good experience when they stay there. I suppose I'm just hopeful that my much anticipated 1st Anniversary wasn't ruined in vain :(

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Food, Room, View, Staff, Expense
  • Stayed July 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank sleepygoat
Reviewed 7 July 2006

We recently stayed at the General Wolfe Hotel and had a lovely experience. The newly renovated dining room is very elegant and the view of the water and Kingston at night is so serene - a great vantage point from which to watch the Canada Day fireworks while sipping on one of their divine special coffees that they flambee for you at your table! Eliska's homemade soup was really tasty and the Tournedos simply melted in my mouth. The General Wolfe is not a typical place that you might find in the big cities but it isn't meant to be. It is a unique getaway spot that so many people hunt for to escape the harried city life. We found Mostafa and Eliska to be very charming and accomodating. No hotel these days will give you your money back when you arrive for your reservation so why should the General Wolfe be any different? I would say that it is a beautiful place with a lot of character and I would highly recommend you try it if you want a change from the Marriotts and Holiday Inns of the world!! Minor point: they should update their website to reflect the renovations in the dining room.

Stayed July 2006
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Guelph
Reviewed 28 June 2006

My wife and I had the opportunity to stay at the hotel and dine in the dining room this past weekend and here is our opinion of the place. First off after reading the terrible reviews my wife was horrified and was almost ready to cancel but we decided to keep an open mind and find out for ourselves. Here is what we found. Yes you check in at the bar but no it was not smokey at all. Our room was modestly furnished but very clean. Our room [#3] had a hair dryer and all the soaps and shampoos we needed. Bathtub was a jacuzzi albeit a small one. Bed was comfortable. Yes the water was across the parking lot but not 500 feet but more like 100-150 feet. Nice view though. The hotel was quiet at night so our sleep was not interrupted by any loud partys. We would stay there again and probably will. I would say that if you are looking for 5 star accomondations at these prices look elsewhere but for the money it was decent value.

As for the fine dining both my wife and myself enjoyed our meals very much. Nice atmosphere with the piano, service was not bad, prices are as to be expected when eating at a nice restaurant. We would eat there again too.

On the whole we had a very nice time.

• Stayed June 2006
3 Thank gregg2717
Reviewed 12 April 2006

My wife and I had the opportunity to briefly visit the "General Wolfe Hotel/Dump". We planned a weekend getaway and unfortunately was fooled by the web site and "smooth talking" of Mustafa...the owner. I suspected he was not being truthful from the beginning and should have gone with my first impression. The other reviews I have read on this site basically say it all. It is a dump. I definitely would not eat there. We had the same smokey bar registration experience. We were disgusted. We did not stay. I told Mustafa about our concerns and told him we were leaving and requested to not pay. He refused. I even offered to pay half. He refused. So I left cash and left. I then went to the Brown's Bay Inn and had a wonderful time. They said regularly they receive customers like us who arrive after booking in at the General Wolfe and then deciding not to stay. Don't be fooled. Just don't stay there. One review I read gave it a 5 star review....my guess, it is a fictious review to help raise their rating on this site. Don't be fooled. Jarick

• Stayed September 2004
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Toronto
Reviewed 3 July 2005

We stayed at the General Wolfe Hotel this weekend July 2/05.
The previous reviews do not lie. We had booked before I read the reviews
and thereafter I called the hotel and spoke to the previously
mentioned Mostafa who assured me that the reviews were the work
of a vendictive person and not an accurate portrayal of the Hotel.
This is a blatant lie. When we arrived we found the paint peeling off the walls and the Hotel across the road from a parking lot -- only across this lot does one see any water. There is no reception. Only a horrible smoky bar that one has to go into in order to , perhaps , find anyone who is willing to check guests in. (The patrons of this bar must sit there and smoke all day long for the smell to be that bad. ) The rooms , although ours seemed to have been renovated, have absolutely no amenities --- no shampoo, insufficient soap, no lotions --- nothing.
The toilet paper was perhaps a left-over from a past communist country. Upon realizing that there was also no hair dryer, I tried calling downstairs only to discover that there was no way to call, nor did there appear to be any number left to call to. When I walked into the smoky bar with wet hair, someone, who I presume was the owner, arrived with perfectly, freshly coifed hair and rudely informed me that they do not have any hair dryers for lowely guest to borrow. She informed me that for my $130 I was not entitled to expect such luxuries. ( Funny, but the Brown Bay Inn is less expensive and provides these amenities, friendly staff, great service and much, much more.) She emphasized the dining room at which point I cancelled my dinner reservation -- the menu, from scanning it , is from the late 1970s -- and ate at the aformentioned Brown Bay Inn. Great food, wonderful location , and terrific staff.
I am a travel agent in Toronto and I caution my clients to be wary of the reviews that state only bad experiences --- this time the reviewers were not wrong and I would have been better off had I listened to those that came before me. It is very sad because the potential is there, and kindness, good service and some " class" , are not expensive. I know that, because it is the way in which I tend to my customers.

• Stayed July 2005
6 Thank TravelSensations
Reviewed 11 November 2004

After reading the other reviews, I felt I had to also write a review. Unfortunately my husband and I had a similar experience as the others. We were very disapointed with The General Wolfe Hotel. It was quite clear their web site does not reflect the true nature of the hotel. The first impression of the place was sheer horror. We thought we were going to a quaint hotel for a weekend get away, but this is truly a run down hotel that is just trying to survive. I am surprised the Wolfe Island Tourism would associate themselves with it and they should consider removing any recommendation for staying there. Wolfe Island is such a beautiful place, it is unfortunate our first impression was instilled by this run down hotel. My recommendation, do not stay here.
Jane