“This hotel worked perfectly for my needs.”

General Wolfe Hotel
Ranked #29 of 37 Hotels in Kingston
OnondagaHill
“This hotel worked perfectly for my needs.”
Reviewed 23 June 2014

I stayed here for one night to visit friends that have a cottage on the Island but had a full house, so therefore I thought I'd stay in Kingston for the evening, but then it dawned on me, hey try the General Wolfe Inn. I asked for a smaller room as it was only I staying there. The room indeed was small, enough for a night stand & bed. Then off of the bedroom was a bathroom that provided plenty of room with a sink/vanity, toilet, and tub/shower. There is a restaurant on the premises, and I had a fantastic breakfast (omelette with a toasted bagel & cream cheese and a pepsi). It was a great meal and reasonable. Elizabeth who was working the dininghall was a pleasure to speak with and very kind. I will gladly stay here again, perhaps not the same room though because of the loud rooftop Air-conditioning unit. You can walk to the Ferry terminal across the street and one block over. Thedre is a Post Office, Bakery, small restaurant, small market right there in town. Otherwise if you are looking for other restaurants/chains, etc. you will not find it here, go over to Kingston for many restaurant choices. Or have a bite to eat at the General Wolfe Inn.
The Pros: Plenty of hot water, towels. Parking directly across the street! You may park in the back of the hotel also.
The Cons: Closet door(s) were propped up against closet, not even in track. Either get it fixed, just don't leave it like that. Other guest in room across from mine were loud/talking when returning at 1am in hallway. This is not the General Wolfe's problem, just an inconsiderate guest. My room faced the rooftop and an air-conditioning unit on the roof top would click off, then every so many minutes click on, etc. The cycle of this air-conditioning unit (if you are a light sleeper like me) was extremely annoying!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank OnondagaHill

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Albany, New York
Reviewed 1 April 2014

Ask for the waterfront room! Great view of the lake and ferry. It is more like a motel, a very small place. Perfect for writing or for anyone who feels like being left alone from all the trouble. Very quite. If you bring your bike you can do a lot of nice riding there.

Room Tip: Try to ask for the waterfront ones and see if you can get it for the lower price. Ask on the phone...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Antonio F
st. clet quebec
Reviewed 3 October 2013

My husband and I were going to Kingston for 1 night. I found this hotel in the guidebook, on first glance we thought OH NO, we ended up loving it and staying an extra night!! Going over to Kingston on the (free) ferry to enjoy the city and coming back to the quiet was wonderful. Elizabeth was very kind to put up with all my husbands questions LOL. I would recommend this place to anyone looking for some place off the beaten track.

Room Tip: room 1 great view but ferry line up in the morning a bit loud.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cindystephane
Kingston, Canada
Reviewed 3 August 2013

This restaurant is supposed to be fine dining?? In one word, no. I had the seafood platter. I asked if the lobster was pre-frozen. I was told it was. So, then why would it have a market price...lol!! Horrible frozen lobster tail, a couple of chewy, frozen scallops, one crab leg and a cold piece of horrid fish. Cold, undercooked potatoes and frozen brussels sprouts. I will give it a one because, yes, the view from the window is lovely. End of story. Do NOT eat here.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
7 Thank Margaret J

Travellers are raving about these Kingston hotels

Rockville, Maryland
Reviewed 2 August 2013

Never again.

Poor food and complaints dealt with by the owner with just a shrug of the shoulders saying "That's the way it is". Basil Fawlty would be at home here. The bar is devoid of any atmosphere whatsoever and the whole experience is seriously overpriced (even if you were to pay half of what we did). Please do yourself favor and go somewhere else. The setting may be great but the content leaves everything to be desired.

No, no, no, no, no. It is awful.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else. Horrible buzzing noise from the AC in our room.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank P B
Mostafa I, Owner at General Wolfe Hotel, responded to this review, 4 August 2013
Sorry that you misread the pakg deal, sorry that you expected to get a king sizre room&gourmet dinner for 150$, WHEN ALL PEOPLE ARROUND YOU WERE RAVING ABOUT THEIR DINNERS AND YOU HAVE HAD NO COMPLAINTS TILL THE BILL WAS PRESENTED. OUR WEBSITE PRESENTS ALL OPTIONS AND LISTS ALL PRICES. Our business hours can not be changed at such short notice. thank you for your comments, maybe a little more information in advance would have resolved the situation.
North Java, New York
Reviewed 17 July 2013

We spent two nights at the General Wolfe during the second week in July. First of all, we were very surprised how much the island reminded us of home. We come from a small town in WNY, known for having more cows than people and also windmills. We enjoyed seeing them on the island. The island is a bit busier than I expected, due to the travelers on and off the auto-ferry to Kingston. Our first night there, we walked about the town enjoying the sights. We ended up back at the bar of the General Wolfe and met a great bartender/host by the name of Greg and his wife. They were so wonderful to talk to and gave us a bit of the background of the town and the premises. We then met the owner of the hotel who was quite the character and most enjoyable. We had many laughs and he was just a super guy. We met his wife that evening in the formal dining room (where the food was OUT OF THIS WORLD!) and she was just as nice! We had a room that faced the street so we could sit up there and watch the comings and goings of the town. I would recommend this stay to anyone who wants a somewhat quiet visit, but you also meet some very nice people.
Donna & Brian

Room Tip: We enjoyed staying in the higher floor as we were able to watch the ferry and the people traveling...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Donna K
Brockville, Canada
Reviewed 5 July 2013

Our group booked three rooms at the General Wolfe Hotel (#2, #3, #10). I was a bit intimidated by some of the poor reviews, but we were pleasantly surprised. It was not busy. Our rooms had waterfront views, which were ideal. Best view on the island! The staff were incredibly friendly from reservations over the phone to check in and check out. The rooms have recently been updated, (including the bathroom), and look great. Our room (#10) had a patio on the street, which was amazing. We brought folding lawn chairs and watched the sunset (and rise) from the patio. It was great to be on "Island Time", we are looking forward to returning next year. As an added bonus, we had breakfast at the Restaurant, and it was delicious.

Room Tip: Make sure you book a waterfront view!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends