“A Quiet Gem”

Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Petawawa, Canada
“A Quiet Gem”
Reviewed 24 July 2013

Fantastic Indian Cusine and a great quiet atmosphere. I ordered the Mulligatawny Soup and beef Dhansak. The soup was tasty, but it was the naan and dhansak that was truly enjoyable. The only thing I have to say is that I would have liked the dhansak a little spicier ( a personal choice). I talked with my waiter and he was very helpful and said any dish could be made spicier on request. Athough it took a little bit of coaxing the staff were quite helpful and honestly trying to do there best to meet the needs of the customer. Hence the BYOB if you so choose, or cooking/ obtaining alternative foods for kids. All that is required is but to ask.

• Visited July 2013

Canada
“Great food and possibly one of the only BYOB places in Kingston”
Reviewed 21 July 2013

One of the things I really object to when eating out is being held to ransom with the drinks bill. Drinking wine and paying a 2-300% premium over the same bottle I just bought at the LCBO often leaves a bitter taste. With that said it is very refreshing to have a restaurant in Kingston that takes some lessons from places in Montreal where the food does the talking and you can bring your own wine (without paying outrageous corkage fees too, Saber's corkage is $0 !!!)

Now, onto the food. I love Indian food and this place cooks up a storm. Everything I've tried here on multiple visits has been excellent. Samosas were fresh and tasty, naans were moist and delicious and the various curries were all fantastically spiced and "just right". The chef here is experienced and really knows what he's doing in the kitchen too. Most likely you will meet the colourful character during the evening as, also being the owner, he comes out for a little chat with the clientelle to ensure all is well. Try the onion bhajis as they are amazing and the soups are also great and I'm not even a soup guy. My wife is a vegetarian and has never wanted for choice, her favourite is the mushroom bhaji. For me, I have a hard time choosing between the chicken jalfrezi, rogan josh or lamb dupiaza. All extremely well done with just the right spice. I have tried the vindaloo here which is also hot, but not so hot you can't taste the dish.

Service is also very good indeed. Ask your waiter anything and you may well first get some dry wit followed by sage advice. Definitely a character too.

Thoroughly recommended.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank carranj
“Best Korma in Ontario”
Reviewed 6 June 2013

We look forward to our Curry treat from Sabers every week or two. Always delicious Korma and the best authentic naan bread, always freshly made. Sauces are made when ordered which makes a huge difference in the flavor. When you crave curry, think Saber's Taste of India. Our favorite place!!

• Visited June 2013
Kingston, Canada
“Disappointing service but good food!”
Reviewed 25 May 2013

Disappointing service but good food! We did throw a party for about 40 friends a couple of month ago. Food was good. Service disappointing both by the owner Saber and server. We will not go again without thinking twice. We will not recommend to anyone. The worst is to do with coffee, which was of such poor quality and taste it takes away all the good feelings we had about this place. The owner did not care to listen to suggestions for improvement. He had the nerves to direct the guests to go to Tim Hortons "if you want good coffee or tea". We will not go again without thinking twice.

• Visited March 2013
“Saber's Taste of India”
Reviewed 20 March 2013

Best Indian food in town. Let Saber choose the menu for you. We always do and are never disappointed, and have learned to try several new Indian dishes that we had never tried before.

Love that we can bring our own wine, and they never charge an uncorking fee.

Joe is the best, very friendly, always smiling and Saber always makes time to come and talk to us.

• Visited March 2013