“Real History” 5 of 5 bubbles

and up
Private Guided Tour to 1000 Islands and Kingston
Ranked #6 of 93 things to do in Kingston
More attraction details
Owner description: A rare and fine example in Canada of Italianate villa architecture, Bellevue was home to Sir John A. Macdonald, Canada's first prime minister. Today, the house is a national historic site, commemorating Macdonald's contribution to the development of Canada. Bel example rare au Canada de villa de style italianisant, Bellevue a été la demeure de sir John A. Macdonald, premier des premiers ministres du Canada. Aujourd'hui lieu historique national, elle commémore la contribution de Macdonald à l'essor du Canada.
Napanee, Canada
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Real History”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2013

I have been visiting these hallowed halls since I was a teenager and have brought my daughters here with pride. There is something about this house that brings the feeling of history to life and it was wonderful to see it come alive in my daughters eyes as well. Truly worth the visit.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank rpfxwhalen

Kitchener, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Any day, but Tuesdays or Wednesdays.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2013

Because that is when it is closed. Short background video on entering the Visitor's Centre. Friendly and informative staff. Well kept grounds and a beautiful example of housing of that time period. Good information about the life and times of Sir. John A. MacDonald.

Visited September 2013
3 Thank njoyurtrip
Waubaushene, ON
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 58 helpful votes
“a nice, hidden little find”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2013

While killing time one afternoon on a short trip in Kingston, I was walking around with my son. We had just left the corrections museum and were just walking down the street. I saw a Parks Canada sign for the Bellevue House and walked down the side street to check it out.

We went into the visitor centre where we were greated warmly by the Parks Canada staff. They told me a bit about the property, stating that Sir John A. MacDonad had once ived here with his family, and said that a video would be playing again n a few minutes. I paid the site fee (which was less that $4!) and looked around the centre with the baby while we waited for the video. When we went into watch the video, one of the girls wheeled the stroller off to the side in the hallway for me while we were in watching the video. The video was very informative, but unfortunately I couldn't sit through it as the baby decided 10 minutes was too long for him. LOL

Right after the movie my fiance texted me to let me know she was almost done in her course. I decided to leave to get her and return to the house as I knew she would like to see the homestead. We returned and this time parked in the sites own lot, which is free parking by the way.

e went and paid the fee for her and then headed to the actual house itself, which is just next to the centre. We started in the homes beautiful garden. It is a mixture of vegetables, herbs, and flowers. In behind the house there is a giant oak tree which is estimated to be 200 years old next year. We then went up to the home. We were again warmly greeted by the staff, decked out in their era attire. They gave us the basic info on the home and indicated that there were three items in the home that had belonged to the Prime Minister himself.

We then continued on throughout the home, reading all of the plaques and taking many pictures. t was all very interesting to see and read. As the heading of my review states, this was a very nice find. I had no idea it was there and I was very glad to stumble across this site. I would certainly recommend it. Historically and aesthetically interesting, free parking, and a very minimal site fee.

Visited August 2013
2 Thank Ontario_Craig
kingston on canada
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“True blue history”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2013

for anyone into canadas history this is a good place to visit, You will see the original stuff that sir john a had and his actual house he lived in with his wife and kids.The staff is dressed up in period costumes and there is a scavenger hunt for the kids.A good little museum.

Visited September 2012
1 Thank Petrina D
Ontario
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“A must!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2013

A must to see when visiting Kingtson! We visited the site many years ago; however, we were very interested and impressed by its history.

Visited September 2012