“Joanne and Alex, Canadians”
Review of Seacliffe Inn

Seacliffe Inn
Ranked #2 of 8 Leamington B&B and Inns
Reviewed 15 July 2014

My friend and I stayed at the Seacliff July 9th to July 12th 2014. We came in on a charity run with the Ontario Realtors Care run and decided to spend a few days exploring. The Inn was excellent. Very clean. The staff was friendly and very helpful. The outside patio and the lounge were great and if you like a night of wonderful entertainment and very friendly people its the place to go. The view from our third floor room was beautiful. We had a full view of the harbour and lake and we could watch the ferry and small craft coming and going. Beautiful board walk and lots of close by restaurants, shopping, what ever you desire. No elevator so be fit. We did Pelee Island and Pelee point each day and at night enjoyed the company of the locals on the patio. Friday night they had a live band and they were awesome. I went to the spa and had a very relaxing pedi and manicure. I highly recommend this Inn and can not wait to go back again. Cheers to Clair, Lauren, Jamie and all the staff at the Seacliffe Inn. Thank you for a wonderful stay.

Room Tip: Our room on the top floor facing the harbour was wonderful. Fireplace. Fridge, Big comfy bed. Good w...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Joanne B

Reviewed 7 July 2014

The hotel was nice and the staff was very friendly and helpful. Enjoyed the patio in the late afternoon. However, there was music on the patio and our room was right above it. Fortunately, the music was pretty good, but it went until 11:45 at night. Enjoyed our stay and convenience.

Room Tip: stayed in 205 - honeymoon suite, very nice room, but over the patio, so on a Friday night, the music...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
2  Thank Lilly A
Reviewed 16 June 2014

We stayed at the Seacliffe Inn in the beginning of June for two nights, and we found the rooms and the service to be excellent. The rooms were as good quality, if not better, than most big name chain hotels due to a large seating area and a fireplace, even though we booked a standard queen room. There was a couch in the room that was big enough and comfy enough to have a third person in the room. Bathroom was pristine, and that is an important thing for me. Staff was super-friendly and left a care package at our door when we asked that it not be cleaned.

The only reason this hotel did not get 5/5 for me is because the "continental breakfast" was the saddest thing I had ever seen. Their restaurant does not serve breakfast, and they suggest in their booklet that if you want a breakfast to go to the restaurant across the road, and I can see why. It consisted of fruit cups, granola bars, and packaged oatmeal. Not a muffin or bagel in sight, and it wasn't even out on the 2nd morning.

All in all it was good, but I suggest to not rely on their breakfast.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Victoria M
Reviewed 31 May 2014

I choose this hotel because it is only five minutes to the Point Pelee. The inn is very charming and pretty. It is a couple of minute walk to the water. There is a patio with the bar and great look to the water. We arrived after 8pm, and we had to go to the bar in the downtown to check in.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DublinKG
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We spend four days at this conveniently located small hotel in Leamington. The location of this place is great. You are south of the downtown area, close to the main road to Kingsville, the marina, some local parks, and just a short drive to Point Pelee National Park. The staff was very friendly and helpful, not only during check in, but any time when we asked a question. Rooms are reasonable in size, clean and have the basic amenities you can expect from any hotel. We were disappointed in the limited selection of TV channels. We are happy that the entire hotel is non-smoking.

With only 22 rooms this is a very quiet place, except when upstairs guests (we stayed on the 2nd floor) go to the shower or bathroom. It is very noisy. Guess the builder forgot to install any insulation to dampen the sounds coming from above. This was the one drawback for us.

Overall this was a nice place to stay and a good location if you want to explore the Leamington area.

Room Tip: Stay on the third floor.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank CGH67
Reviewed 25 May 2014

We stayed for two nights wanting good access to Point Pelee for birds.  Seacliff Inn  is a clunky execution of a 'seaside' inn.  Downsides: 1) Creaky/noisy if on first or second floors - this is an old building and it shows when people start to walk around.  We were just about asleep in our second floor room when the group above us arrived and it sounded like the room would collapse as we heard every move.  If you are on the third floor this might be avoided.   2) stairs-only to second and third floors make for a tedious haul of heavy luggage (there was no staff to help..more on this).  Also if you don't find the 'main' stairwell, you end up in a really very steep long set of stairs which has a door opening at the top with no room to stand on the top stair!  Quite dangerous with kids or older folks.  3) Very small staff on duty.  It appears that there are either one or two people in the whole building as staff during the day and at night barely that.  We checked in late (at 9:45pm after calling ahead) and saw signs instructing us to go to the bar downstairs.  There we were 'checked in' by the bartender who is apparently assigned to this double duty at night.  He was nice, but very young and not very knowledgeable (did not know where the breakfast was).  The bar/restaurant was populated that evening (Victoria Day) by a raucous group of what appeared to be locals. The next evening the place was completely empty...so much so that I waited there for a good five minutes without seeing even the bartender.

The food options, it should be mentioned are rather limited in Leamington and no great help at Seacliff either.  Breakfast/snacks (as they call it) was a few kids style applesauce containers, oatmeal packets (they provide hot water) and a few energy bars.  No coffee..which you can make in your room.  The lady recommended Gaspard's multiple times to us, but I took one look and realized it was not for us.  It looks and feels like a small town midwestern dive.  We ended up going to   Lakeside Bakery and Cafe which was reasonable if again not up to big city standards.

We came home late the second evening with hungry kids who needed to rest in the room.  I saw on the book that they offer 'roomservice'.  But when I called down, they said they usually don't, which I frankly expected.  So I asked if I could come down and take it out.  She said sure and we ordered.  But when I went down to the restaurant, she brought out plates of food.  I realized that she intended us to carry the food up three flights of stairs (and the multiple fire doors all over the Inn).  One plate was very hot too.  I suggested two trips, but she insisted we could do it in one, balancing two salads on one arm.  About midway up, a salad dressing container spilled on her.  Finally, we made it up, and she said to 'not worry about the plates..cleaners will get it in the morning.'  The food (chicken fingers, pasta, and salads) was average and we had dirty plates in the room all night.  I didn't feel right about leaving empty, dirty plates in the hallway as I would in a larger place as I knew the staff would not be by to pick it up.  Still, I did appreciate her willingness to bring the food up (and offer to bring back the small salad dressing that had spilled).

Re: room, I would agree with others that the bathroom was  a bit subpar and also add that the carpets were looking old.  On the plus side the beds and sheets were nice and decor was a bit quaint B&B feel.  The fireplace is rather nice touch.  The view to the lake is nice out the window and the rooms are large.  Also Wifi was consistent and reliable and TV worked.

Overall I would say that Seacliff Inn may appear to offer some character and quality in Leamington, but I got a very different impression in person than from the cute photos beforehand.  We stayed a couple nights the week before in the Days Inn (used to be Howard Johnson), which was as you might expect.  But the staff and set up there were actually far more useful to us (reasonable breakfast, attentive staff, spa/pool, exercise room, and a table with updates/stuff for birders) and despite the average location, I might actually go back there when we return.  We paid $144 for Seacliff in May and did not feel it was a particularly great value.  If you are without kids and fit and can handle things on your own, (perhaps a romantic couple looking for cute decor, fireplace, view and privacy)  then perhaps Seacliff will appeal, but otherwise I would skip it.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank JTAKA
Reviewed 19 May 2014

The upside - it was very clean, had a great fireplace and was in an excellent location.
The downside - We had booked 3 nights but stayed only 2.
It took a while before anyone came to the front desk. My husband had to go searching for someone. The young girl was very pleasant and helpful when she did arrive.
Our room was very noisy. Anytime someone took a shower, we could hear it quite loudly. The huge air conditioning unit was outside our window, so that woke us up all night long with the compressor turning off and on.
There was no towel rack in the bathroom. There also was no grill over the ceiling fan - just a hole in the ceiling.
The worst thing was that they would not let us leave without paying for the 3rd night. The girl (a different one from day one) asked if I was sure that I didn't want to stay that night again because we'd have to pay for it anyway. She stated there is a 48 hr cancellation time limit. Even though this was a Friday, on the long weekend, in the midst of birding migration, she didn't think they would fill the room. The rest of the hotel was fully booked. I was not impressed.
We will not be staying there again.

Room Tip: There is no elevator, so beware of a room on the third floor. The view from there is quite nice howe...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Leamington
Best Western Plus Leamington Hotel & Conference Centre
Duck Pond Bed and Breakfast Cottage
Island View B & B
Island View B & B
#4 of 8 in Leamington

Been to Seacliffe Inn? Share your experiences!