All reviewslots of funcampingcampersseasonalspring
Reviewed 4 September 2012

I stayed there this Labour Day weekend. I was told there was sewers where I was Staying and there wasn't. They told me they have a guy that will come and pump it out for $10 but when I asked again on Saturday (I arrived @ 9p.m.) & they told me on Fridays & Tuesdays so I had to pack up my 34 foot toyhauler and bring it to pumpout station outback! Nobody told us about the slide not working when we registered. Camp sites are small unlike Campers Cove, Jellystone, & Leisure Lake. People around our site paid different prices but they are all the same size. They said NO TENTS w/trailer are allowed but I guess rules are different for selective few! My friends came to stay weekend in a tent on different siite 1/2 the size of ours for $150 also. They have a handicap child in a wheelchair and nothing is ACESSIBLE for him. Only 1 building in middle of park with 3 bathrooms and 3 small showers. We talked to the owner (SAM) and it seemed like he didn't care about sewers, handicaps, and customers. We we left all he said was have a good day in a cocky voice. I Have a wife, children 16, 12, 6, and 3 month old and I would NEVER return there and advise u to do the same. There are other campgrounds around that we have stayed and would return!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Don A
Reviewed 4 September 2012

Friends of ours recommended that we try Sturgeon Woods since we had never been. So we decided to book a weekend in August. Upon registration we realized that it was "Halloween" at Sturgeon Woods. We really didn't know what to expect since we had never experienced Halloween while camping. It turned out to be one of the best camping weekends this summer.
There were many things for the kids to do and they even gave out free hot dogs to all kids from their snack bar. Our kids went trick or treating from camper to camper and got a lot of candy. We also enjoyed the band at night.
The facilities were very clean. The staff was helpful. Our campsite was average size with a cement pad, we did not have a lot of shade but this was okay with us because we were near all of the activities.
We booked again for Thanksgiving. We highly recommend this campground.

Room Tip: Sites by the recreation hall have cement pads
Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank laylamom1
Reviewed 30 July 2012

We went for a family get away to Sturgeon Woods a few weeks ago and we had a very enjoyable time. Our children participated in most of the planned activities and enjoyed the pools and waterslide. The washrooms and showers were very clean.
They are located very close to Point Pelee Park so we spent a full day there as well.
We will be going back to Sturgeon Woods, we had a very nice time.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Dave B
Reviewed 3 July 2012

We visited Sturgeon Woods on the July 1st Canada Day weekend 2012. We were able to secure a site only 2 weeks before the long weekend. Friends of ours got their site only 3 days before. Initially our friends were told they were sold out but then after they mentioned that we had a site, they were given a site. I felt it odd that they were sold out yet just on our little street there were 3 empty sites the whole weekend. The showers are awesome with lots of hot water and tons of pressure. Very clean washrooms. There is a gravelly beach within walking distance of the campground and there were some activities for small children organized. There is a gorgeous sandy beach in Leamington just 5 or 6 minutes drive away.

Though there is a quiet time advertised, on this particular weekend they didn't seem too strict about it and that was ok. The one thing that stood out that we didn't like was that the camp sites are very small. You can barely fit your trailer and vehicle and because of that the firepits are too close to both.

They have wireless but charge $5 a day. That seemed a bit odd as well as most nicer/better campgrounds just provide wireless at no extra cost. The waterslide is fairly small and the extra charge to use it and the splash pad seemed a bit excessive but then we didn't have any small children.

Overall we really enjoyed our stay and were thrilled to have even been able to get a site that close to the long weekend. Would be return to that particular campground? Probably not.

Room Tip: You don't get to choose your camp site ahead of time and so are stuck with whatever they give you. Most sites are very small, particularly the ones with hydro and water.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Sherilee D
Reviewed 2 July 2012

oh boy, where do I begin? No confirmation number or site number upon booking, leading me to think that perhaps this is some sort of twisted scam. When I asked "do you have tent sites" the reply was "oh yes, we have an entire tent section" upon arrival staff were very rude not to mention disorganized. We were shown to our site (which cost us $175 for 3 nights) we were the ONLY people tenting! there were a whole 8 sites reserved for tent camping and they were only a few steps away from the seasonal trailers. There was maybe 1 tree for every 3 trailers. The worst part of this is, is that our first impression was sooooo bad that we didn't even stay 1 night, we got a last minute site at Wheatly Provincial Park (whic only cost us $111 for 3 nights) where the staff were overly nice, including the park rangers and the police working for the long weekend! Anyway of course a Provincial Park is going to be nicer than a family run facility, but how dare they charge more! and a lot more! Sturgeon Woods refused to give us a refund because they had to "turn numerous people away" my friend and I returned to the facility on sun just to see if this was true and of course nobody was there, I even went as far as to get out of the car and walk around the "camp sites" to see if there was any evidence that anyone has stayed there and of course there wasnt. All in all I'm going to make it a personal mission of mine to make sure nobody spends a penny on this poorly run, disorganized, gross facility. Oh and those happy kids in the pictures on the website must be happy because there leaving.......

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends