“Not enjoyable and will NOT be back”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Leamington
Sturgeon Woods Campground & Marina
Reviewed 14 August 2013

Just spent 4 days, 3 nights at this campground as part of a vacation with our grandchildren. A bad experience for all of us. Staff is miserable and grouchy - especially children program leaders and lifeguards who are rude as well. Internet advertising is not accurate - there is no splash pad - there is an indoor pool which is advertised as heated but it is NOT heated - it is freezing cold. Washrooms are in the same indoor building as the pool which is NOT opened 9 to 9 as advertised - it closes whenever at night (last night it was 8:40). Pricing is vague and changes depending on who you talk to (i.e. water slide bracelets which are 2.99, 5.00, 6.65) depending on who you talk to. It was very inconvenient to use washrooms while in the indoor pool - you need to run around the building to use them, even though you can see them from the pool there is a half-divider up so you can't get to them. A backhoe woke us up early as they had decided to level the roadway by dragging the bucket back and forth on the roads at 8 a.m. Just what someone on vacation wants to do - be woken up early. I could go on and on - but you get it.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank agm55
Tm444_33, General Manager at Sturgeon Woods Campground & Marina, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2013

Thank you for your feedback. We’re sorry your experience with us did not meet your expectations. We apologize for the early workers, we have been working on this. As far as the water bracelets go, it’s 2.95 on weekdays, 5.00 on weekends and that rate comes to 5.65 with tax. The reason for the price change on weekends is because of extended water slide hours. We would love to make this right with you, please call us at (519) 326-1156

Reviewed 7 July 2013

I understand that we can not control the weather, but when the site your give is under two inches of water and the sewer is backed up. And all they can say is to bad for you... Don't think I'll ever go back there. At other places I've been I always seen employes around asking if everything was good. Not once did I see any one, or felt welcomed.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Annie M
Reviewed 2 July 2013

We stayed at sturgeon woods this past holiday weekend and had a very nice time. Due to the poor weather we had concerns about going ahead with our camping trip. When we called the campground to express our concerns they were very accommodating and understanding (we called to potentially cancel on check in day), this really impressed us. Despite the rainy weather we decided to go ahead with our planned trip and we are very glad we did. Our site was a little wet when we arrived but this was understandable due to the amount of rain they had earlier in the day. We had a cement pad on our site and it helped. There were plenty of activities for the kids throughout the weekend and a band on Saturday. The staff was friendly and helpful. We were very happy with our stay and will be returning.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Evlyn p
Reviewed 17 April 2013

The RV park caters mainly to seasonal people but does offer daily sites. We stopped here on April 15th- their first day of opening. The price is high for an overnight (about $48 with tax) but they offer all the ammenties including wifi, laundry, (no cable).

The folks at the counter didn't really know if all the services were ready but took our money and sent us on our way. After parking our RV we found the sites level, with crushed stone. Hydro and water were supplied. We didn't need sewer because they said we could use the dump station.

We then found the washrooms and showers were closed and locked (the water hadn't been turned on). The laundry was closed and the dump station was inaccessible because there were 2 loads of gravel dumped in front of the dump station. The wifi was free but of such poor quality at the site we were assigned we couldn't connect (we tried 3 devices).

The next morning I complained how they charged full price but the above services were not available. They didn't feel compelled to give any refund and had an excuse for each item. I pressured them further and they finally gave me $10 back.

I think this is extremely poor customer service. They should have known what was and wasn't available when we checked in. And they certainly could have been more forthcoming with some kind of reduced rate.

For this reason I am blaming management- the owners, the people who I was likely dealing with. This park has a great location i.e. it is the closest to Point Pelee. In my book having the best location doesn't give you the right to take advantage of people.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Skootamattaken
Reviewed 15 April 2013

This is going to be my 7th or 8th Summer at Sturgeon Woods and I can honestly say it is what I look forward to most about the summer. I stay pretty well every weekend and days during the week, it is the cleanest, most well maintained, ACCESSIBLE campsite I have visited and I have visited them all in the area at least once, but I've always come back to Sturgeon Woods. I have cerebral palsy and have a hard time finding places that are accessible for me, Sturgeon Woods is top notch. It is not even just the accessibility but the people they employ, they are always more then willing to help you with anything you need, frequent campers are like family and fellow campers will help you too, and if your new they still will. I love spending my summers here with my friends and cannot wait to go back - I would recommend it to everyone!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Lucretia B
Reviewed 4 April 2013

this is our 5th year camping at sturgeon woods and we would not go anywhere else in the area. this place is extremely clean and well maintained. we have met some great friends at this campground and they feel the same way as we do. we know our kids are safe since it is a family atmosphere. everyone seems very friendly. i highly recommend sturgeon woods.

Room Tip: our favourite event is christmas in july.
Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank 166tomd
Reviewed 20 December 2012

We always enjoy ourselves when we go to this campground. We have been camping at sturgeon woods for many years. The family has fun and i find it very reasonable in price and clean. The pools and waterslide are great and have lifeguards. The indoor facility is a nice option in case it is raining.

Room Tip: book ahead for long weekends
Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family