“Wing Night Used To Be Much Better”

Oar House sports bar and grill
Ranked #564 of 1,100 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$5 - US$14
Cuisines: Bar
Dining options: After-hours, Outdoor Seating
Dining options: After-hours, Outdoor Seating
Reviewed 19 August 2014

This is a good sports bar on the corner of Oxford and Wonderland in London, ON. They have daily specials and on Fridays they have 'Free Food Friday' where they serve up all the roast beef on a bun you can eat between 4PM and 6PM.

We have been going there every Monday night for their wing special - 39 cents per wing (also available on Thursdays). When we first started to go there for wings, the wings were large and meaty, with plenty of sauce; and a basket of wings was a satisfying meal with a cold beer.

In the past few months, we have noticed that the wings have gotten smaller and smaller, while at the same time, it appears that they have cut way back on the sauces that they serve them in. I have gotten wings and instead of being wet and messy, as we are used to, there is barely a sign that sauce has seen them, and from time to time, they appear to have been sitting in the kitchen for quite some time. Certainly not the wings that drew us into the place in the beginning.

We go there because the Oar House is close, and we would like to think that the food will improve. The service is usually excellent and we keep going back because of that, but I would be lying if I said that changing venues is not a regular conversation topic around the table.

To sum it up - service - Excellent! Food - not so much...
Convenient location for us.

Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

Not some where I would take the family.
If you want cheap food and beer, moderately good looking servers and don't mind the smoke from the patio filled with smokers this place is alright. Good place to have good and drinks with the boys.

Reviewed 19 March 2014

Next door (and part of) McGinnis Restaurant. The same great food, including the Margherita pizza, in a wonderfully grungy sports bar atmosphere. Peanut shells everywhere and always busy. For serious conversation go next door to the less noisy McGinnis, but for fun hang out at the Oarhouse. Unfortunatley the Guiness here has also been "substituted" for an uninteresting stout.

1  Thank Bruce P
Reviewed 10 November 2013

Ordered crab dish that had little to no crab in it. Waitress brought us dirty plates for our food. Bathrooms dirty. Would never go back.

Reviewed 12 September 2013

I go London 4-5 times a year and visit the Oar House nearly every time - definitely my favorite London bar so far. The atmosphere is great, friendly staff, good beer, good food, free peanuts (throw your shells on the floor). A wide range of patrons attend from college students right up. It's not very close to the colleges though so college students are not the main clientele. This is more bar than restaurant so probably not a place to take younger kids. On the one occasion I took my wife and 11 year old daughter for a meal, we were asked to leave because they apparently don't serve minors after 9pm (we got there right at 9pm). I would like to test this policy earlier in the evening to see if younger children can eat there with their families but I don't recall ever seeing any.

1  Thank MarylandNed