“Phenomenal” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 41 Hotels in London
Windsor, Canada
“Phenomenal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2012

Prior to elaboration, we think relevant to mention that the reason for our travel to London was to attend to serious medical appointments for one of us. The reason we share this pint size bit of personal information will become clearer as this review continues. Briefly, however, the medical appointments yielded discouraging results and combined with the travel, after which, we were desperately needing a hotel attuned to the importance of quiet, cleanliness, friendliness and rejuvenation. The dates of the medical appointments unfortunately coincided with a children’s hockey tournament taking place in London. The initial hotel in which we were booked was noisy with children playing hockey with mini-sticks in the hallways, against room doors and some even using the elevator as a “goalie net”. The staff at the hotel seemed unable, if not unwilling, to recall that not of all of its guests were in the hockey tournament contingent and indeed some of its guests might actually appreciate not having to wade through seas of unattended children immersed in their hotel based hockey matches colliding into room doors in their exuberance. We left the initial hotel - hockey arena. With the majority of hotels booked for the weekend, there was one hotel to which we could turn and that we thought might keep a hold onto their “aspiration of provid[ing] an exceptional level of service that will make for an unforgettable experience”-- Hotel Metro.

Just a walk thru the doors of Hotel Metro signaled we were entering an phenomenal space with the promise of a relaxing hotel experience. Though the hour was late or early as it were, 2:00 in the morning to be exact, upon entry into the hotel we were warmly greeted by staff. Without request, personnel graciously moved from behind the reception desk and hurried to help us with our luggage as if we were being greeted by long time friends who were delighted for us to be there. We were invited to relax on the comfortable seats neighbouring the reception desk. With each passing minute, kind interaction, offer of warm beverage and efficient method of checking in we knew for certain that we had booked into a grand hotel.

Our hotel room itself was impressively large and had gorgeous space made for bathing accompanied by a collection of Aveda products. Decision had to be made: collapse on the Vera Wang bed or luxuriate in the shower or tub. Among the amenities and also in our room was a large flat screen television as well an intriguing coffee table book, stylish contemporary cabinetry, gourmet coffee (in lobby and in room), blackout blinds, rainfall shower, thick and soft towels, free wi-fi and remarkable cleanliness, that should set the exceptional standard of clean for all hotels. Friendly, kind and polite staff and the amenities all combined gave rise to the spirit of relaxation we had sought from our hotel stay.

Though we were not in London for sight seeing, notably the hotel is perfectly located for going to the Covent Garden Market/London Farmers’ Market that sits across the road and we noticed many interesting sounding restaurants in the immediate vicinity. There is also a restaurant attached to the hotel, which we were unable to try but we imagine that the service and food would have been spectacular given its connection to the hotel.

Quite simply, if elegant, spacious and spotless surroundings with attentive and caring staff are factors in your selection of hotels, we highly recommend Hotel Metro. During our stay we were treated as valued, welcomed patrons whose needs were thoughtfully anticipated. Kind and friendly staff strive to ensure that hotel will provide an atmosphere that values you, as their customer, and an environment that makes possible a quiet, relaxing, rejuvenating and luxuriating hotel stay. Our only disappointment was that that we were unable to change our departure date. We look forward to a return trip to the Hotel Metro to be among friendly, welcoming staff--and to relax. Thank you Hotel Metro.

Room Tip: We have no idea what the other rooms are like but ours was phenomenal and given it was the last room...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank Lara D
Zul K, General Manager at Hotel Metro, responded to this review, 25 September 2015
We truly appreciate your taking the time to leave us a review. We take great pride in providing a great experience to our treasured guests.

Thanks and safe travels from the entire team at Metro!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
London, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2012

I will begin by commenting on the staff. They are absolutely the best part of this hotel experience. I called the day I wanted to stay and they reserved me a room, even without my credit card on hand. They answered all of my questions honestly and to my satisfaction. I went with 3 other friends for a night out, and this room definitely did the job.

The pros: Very friendly and accomodating staff, cool modern decor, nice bedding and towels, clean interior.

The cons: Very loud air conditioner, our room faced a conference room (so no window to the outside), inconvenient and expensive parking, and you have to order your ice up since there are no machines on the floors.

I paid $99 using a deal voucher found online, would probably not pay more. But overall a good experience.

Room Tip: Ask for one with an outdoor view, if possible.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends

canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2012

My first experience at staying in a "boutique" hotel was in Birmingham England this past fall. When I entered into the Metro on Friday March 9th, it was like I had just been magically sent back to England! The ambience was outstanding! The front desk was awesome all weekend long. This is not some cookie cutter chain! It is what it is and it is AWESOME! I was able to chat with one of the partners on Saturday morning while waiting for a friend to show me around. Very friendly and very informative chap! Folks, this place aims to please and if you have any concerns, they will do their very best to keep you happy! Just ask! The Covent Market is right across the street! Brilliant location! The market is a down sized version of Granville Market in Vancouver. The people here in London were so friendly all weekend long! I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank 10sAce52

Edmonton, Alberta
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2012

Definition: boutique hotel (n) a small luxury hotel offering premium services, often located in a fashionable location.

Where do i start? How about trying to find the place. Aw, maybe i should blame my GPS for making me drive around the block three times, before i figured out that the hotel is kind of in a back lane behind the market.
You know how first impressions matter? The first thing I noticed was the bar stool for the reception staff at the reception desk. It was.....dirty. Hmm... Bad omen?
Here is your room key, sir, Fourh floor.
Key envelope recycled - dogeared and ...... Dirty. Keys not programmed daily?
Up the elevator, down the hall to my room. Every corner is completely devoid of paint - chipped away one assumes by years of the housekeeping cart banging into the corners.
Into the room...yikes! That is THE loudest air conditioner unit  I have ever heard! Oh well, I just turn it off.
What's that? The toilet seat is up. Odd. Eeew...has that thing even been cleaned? I will spare to precise details of what make me ask that question....

The bed was poorly made. I made sure I checked to assure myself that the sheets were actually clean. They were, but they were simply poorly fitted sheets.

Now what's that racket?? Ahh the fridge. No sweat. I often unplug noisy fridges in hotel rooms.  Hey look there is a bottle of water in the fridge. The kind you can buy for 39 cents at the corner 7-11. I wonder if this is the "incidental" that they took my credit card for...

I ready myself for bed. Wash hands and face. What's this?? No face cloth or hand towels in the room. Three large bath towels. That is it. Seriously. No face cloth or hand towels.

Unpacking, shirts are wrinkled as usual. Where's the ironing board and iron? Hmm... Guess I'll be wearing a wrinkly short tomorrow.
 Hey it sure got cold in here quickly. Turn on the heat unit, but I can't hear the TV now...
Have to sleep with he unit off, and in the morning it's 62 F in the room...

Morning coffee is Starbucks in a ........ Paper cup?? With powdered whitener?
I wonder again what incidentals they had in mind when they took my credit card. It certainly wasn't for the mini bar in the noisy fridge...

Morning....I'll grab the newspaper from the door.....oh wait... Never mind. Maybe they assumed I'd just read the paper on my iPad.
Check out was uneventful. So uneventful the guy in the (dirty) shirt didn't bother to ask how I enjoyed my stay. Maybe thats a good thing...

Maybe it's me who has to redefine what I understand a boutique hotel to be.
Funky room and cool rainfall shower does not make a hotel a "boutique".

There was nothing - not a single thing that I could point to that I would consider even close to being premium or boutique quality. Hilton Garden Inns have better amenities, better towels, better beds, better linens, real coffee cups, more comfortable chairs, better heat and a/c units, and better cleanliness.

I would not recommend this hotel. At all. Ever.  Boutique indeed.

• Stayed March 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Goodchip
Chicago, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2012

This hotel is brilliant! I travel to various cities for work and I must say this hotel is my favorite hotel of all. The atmosphere is small and quaint; the room’s modern and fun. I felt comfortable and at home here. The staff is accommodating and friendly and the location is in the heart of downtown, you literally are steps away from fine dining, the John Labatt Centre, boutiques, and the covent market. If you are traveling to London, stay at the Hotel Metro, you will not regret it, instead you won’t want to leave!
- Danielle B.
Event Marketing and Sales Manager, Feld Entertainment

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business

Grosse Pointe, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2012

My daughter (15) and I (60) just returned from one of our best mother/daughter outings ever. The hotel and staff pleased both of us, even with our obvious generational gap! Modern and hip for my daughter and gracious and accommodating for me. We had in-room massages arranged by the hotel at 4:30 (ask for Dave). Walked across the street to La Casa Ristorante for a a luscious, stylish Italian meal later and returned to our slick and luxurious room to relax. Loved the location across the street from Covent Garden Market (quick and delicious ethnic food, charming kiosk-style businesses, an exterior ice skating rink) as well as excellent restaurants within a couple of blocks of the hotel. Will return as soon as possible! (PS: Loved London! Much to do and very manageable for a tourist.)

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank shipsley

Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2012

I stayed here with 3 of my girlfriends. We stayed in adjoining rooms on the third floor. The blinds were broken and there was a sticker that said "Bachelorette" On the window sill. Service was wonderful and the location was great. Parking is AWFUL especially at night and on the weekends due to all the nightclubs in the area. The parking garage in sort of convenient if you like turning the wrong way on a one way street to park. Of all the great reviews of this hotel I was highly disappointed. Probably won't stay here again.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends