“Okay place - bad customer service”

Best Western Plus Lamplighter Inn & Conference Centre
Ranked #2 of 41 Hotels in London
Reviewed 21 November 2011

Stayed here for a business trip (4 days), first observation - no business centre! Its a conference centre and they don't have a business centre?! The rooms are adequate, but the place is a maze to get around. Free parking (bonus!) The restaurant food is a hit or miss. Apparently they have a great breakfast for 4.99. My only complaint came the 3rd day, when a bunch of kids checked into the hotel, and had to put up with running in the halls, loud parents drinking and eating in the hall. Phoned the front desk and they explained that 10 hockey teams were staying there - in other words, suck it up. I would have liked to have moved but the place was booked solid. I didn't appreciate being stuck with all this noise as I did have to leave the hotel to get some work done. Never again, can't recommend this place either. That was poor planning and response to a legitimate complaint.

Room Tip: stay some where else.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank capistrano99
fanofhotel, Public Relations Manager at Best Western Plus Lamplighter Inn & Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 9 December 2011

Dear Capistrano99,

Thank you for visiting our Hotel and for taking the time to write a review.

Let me begin by apologizing for your unpleasant stay; we always strive to ensure all of our guests are able to enjoy the Hotel but it is clear by your review we did not deliver for you.

I am glad to hear that you were pleased with the complimentary parking. Travelling can be a costly venture and it's always nice to save money wherever possible. As for your comments regarding the Business Centre I will be sure to forward them along to the owner. We do have a computer with internet and printing capabilities in our lobby available to our guests free of charge, but perhaps we should look at placing it in a more private space.

I am also very sorry that you found the other groups in the Hotel so disruptive. Throughout hockey season the Hotel can be very busy with different groups in town for tournaments. We do hire security for the evenings and our staff makes every effort to control them but unfortunately it is not always possible. I also am very dissapointed that when you notified the Front Desk staff you were not met with any type of solution. The Hotel was busy however, there is always something that can be done, whether it's to offer a meeting room complimentary for you to work or some other level of retribution.

Again, my sincere apologies. I will be following up with the Front Desk and Customer Service team to ensure we are handling guest concerns appropriately and also working dilligently to monitor and control loud and disruptive Hotel guests.

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review and I do hope that you are able to visit the Hotel again so that we may show you we are a Hotel that can please all of our guests.

Reviewed 17 November 2011

Stayed here while in London at the hospital and the hotel and staff were excellent. From quick and efficient check-in to a clean and comforatble room this hotel had everything perfect. Will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
fanofhotel, Manager at Best Western Plus Lamplighter Inn & Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 9 December 2011

Dear Ravs27,

Thank you for your recent stay and for taking the time to post a review.

Your comments are certainly very flattering and I look forward to sending them onto the rest of the staff.

Since you were here for a Hospital stay, I hope you were able to take advantage of our Complimentary Hospital shuttle as well as our discounted Hospital rates for patients and staff.

I am glad to hear you intend to return; hopefully it will be for pleasure this time. Thank you again for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Regards,

Reviewed 6 November 2011

We just finished our stay at this hotel and it was such a disappointing experience. We arrived a little earlier than normal check-in and were able to go to our rooms...so far, so good. Since our girls (ages 4 & 6) wanted to swim, we changed into our suits right away and headed for the pool...only to find out it was closed since there was a wedding going on. It was closed for @two hours. I wish the person checking us in had informed us of this since it was a real inconvenience and the kids were very disappointed. We decided to go out for an early dinner and come back to use the pool after. When we got back, the hotel had been taken over by a large group (maybe a hockey tournament?) and they were everywhere. We tried to use the pool but the older kids had taken over and the pool was too full & rowdy for our smaller kids to even use and the hot-tub was over-full, way beyond capacity. When we left the pool area (about 10 minutes after getting there), we tried to take the elevator to the second floor since I also had an elderly Aunt with me. Unfortunately there were kids playing hockey in the hallways and in front of the elevator, even though it was very close to the lobby. They didn't move even when my Aunt (who is 90) tried to get to the elevator. Horrible!!! We finally got to our room and we couldn't even use our balcony since it was overlooking the packed pool and there were people everywhere across from us (looking directly into our room) sitting on chairs drinking. We basically closed our blinds and turned the air conditioner on high to drown out the noise (pool is open until 11 pm) and tried to get some sleep. Not a great experience. I understand that hotels need to rent to larger groups but I think we should be forewarned that this is going to happen and the hotel will be full of people. I was so disappointed. I didn't call to complain since there really didn't seem to be any point. On the up-side, when I got up in the morning, the pool area was deserted and looked absolutely beautiful. I think if this hotel had not been so full, it might have been a different experience. It's really too bad. If you plan to go to this hotel, make sure that you ask if (a) there are any weddings planned; and (b) if there are any large groups staying due to local tournaments. I don't think we will be returning.

Room Tip: Many of the rooms overlook the atrium & the pool. This is a wonderful option as long as there ar...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
7  Thank lilac7272
fanofhotel, Manager at Best Western Plus Lamplighter Inn & Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2011

Dear Lilac,

Thank you for visiting our Hotel and for taking the time to write a review.

Let me begin by apologizing for your unsatisfactory experience; our goal is to ensure all of our guests are able to enjoy the Hotel and it is clear by your review we did not deliver for you.

I am glad to hear that we were able to accommodate your early arrival; whenever possible we try to meet special requests. I certainly apologize that you were not made aware of the pool closure; there is a sign posted on the Front Desk advising guests upon check-in but the agent who checked you in should have directed you to the information.

I am also very sorry that you found the other groups in the Hotel so disruptive. Throughout Hockey season the Hotel can be very busy with different groups in town for tournaments. We do hire security for the evenings and our staff makes every effort to control them but unfortunately it is not always possible. I do wish that you would have notified the staff as they would have immediately asked that the group stop playing hockey in the hallway as that is not permitted and asked that the other groups keep the noise level down. Perhaps we could have found a way to accommodate your family elsewhere in a less busy part of the Hotel. I will also be speaking with our reservations agents regarding notifying guests when there are large groups in house.

Again, my sincere apologies. I do hope that you are able to visit the Hotel again and that we are able to show you we are a Hotel that can please all of our guests.

BEST WESTERN PLUS Lamplighter Inn

Reviewed 26 October 2011

The Hotel is a nice place to stay, however our experience at the restaurant was not. We didn't even make it in the front door - we were ignored & when I informed the front desk of why we were not using their restaurant they sakd OK; Not how can I make it right etc. You know that blank look you get.....

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business

Dear Brian B,

Thank you for visiting our Hotel and also for taking the time to write a response. I am certainly dissapointed to hear that your stay was not satisfactory.

I am glad you found the Hotel nice, but I would like to take this opportunity to apologize for the service you did (or did not rather) receive in our on-site restaurant. I would also like to extend an apology for the lack of response you received when you addressed the complaint with the Front Desk. I can assure you it is certainly not our policy to ignore our guest's and I will be following up with the Front Desk with this information.

I will also be speaking with the Restaurant staff regarding your complaints as they most definitely dropped the ball. I understand that they may be busy, but they should never pass by waiting customers and disregard them.

Thank you for your comments; your review will allow me to identify specific areas we need to improve. I truly hope you will make your way back here and that we will have the opportunity to show you that all areas of our Hotel are wonderful.

BEST WESTERN PLUS Lamplighter Inn

Reviewed 4 October 2011

We stayed in a suite which had a large living area and bedroom but quite a small bathroom considering. The hotel was clean and very large with a fantastic pool area. It was a bit noisy at night due to the many wedding/conference rooms there. The taxi to the Grand Theatre downtown was approximately $15 and took 15-20min. Overall great value and experience.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank wherenext_10
fanofhotel, Manager at Best Western Plus Lamplighter Inn & Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2011

Dear wherenext_10,

Thank you for choosing our property and also for taking the time to complete a review.

I am glad to hear you enjoyed your experience and will be sure to forward along your comments regarding the cleanliness of the Hotel to our housekeeping staff; they work very hard and certainly deserve a pat on the back! I am also pleased you enjoyed your guest room layout and the pool area. The Atrium is certainly a highlight for our guests.

I apologize for the noise you experienced throughout your stay; it can be somewhat difficult to control when we have large events in house, however we do our absolute best to ensure our guests are not inconvenienced. I truly hope it didn't put too much of a damper on your stay.

Thank you again for choosing the Lamplighter and I hope you enjoyed the show at the Grand Theatre. We look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed 26 September 2011

We stayed here for a nephew's wheelchair hockey tournament in August. It is a huge hotel with an even bigger pool/greenhouse area with a retractable glass roof. On sunny days the roof is opened. The slide is a lot of fun but the teenagers manning the slide could use a lesson in guest services. They could barely get their noses out of the book they were reading. When they did it was to yell at a child for some minor infraction, like crossing the yellow line. I know it must be a boring job, but that is why you are paid, a little more social interaction would be nice, maybe a smile every now and then.

It is clean and the beds were by far the best bed I have slept in at a hotel. Even my young children commented on how comfortable the beds were. The weekend we were at this hotel, 3 weddings took place in the atrium. If we did not have a tournament to attend, that may have caused problems as they close the pool down for such events. However, the down time was very limited and they were very good at opening it right back up again. They have a koi pond that really amused my girls and the staff even allowed them to feed the fish once.
The attached restaurant was fine, great breakfasts but the dinners were just ok. The soup came out barely warm but it was tasty. I was afraid to send it back because it took so long to come out in the first place. I believe the waitstaff was experienced just had too many tables to take care of for a shift. As a nonsmoking hotel you had to walk through the smokers to enter the hotel. They all gathered at the entranced to get their smoke on really defeats the purpose of non-smoking. I wished I lived closer because it would make a great winter escape.

• Stayed: August 2011
1  Thank Ruth B
fanofhotel, Manager at Best Western Plus Lamplighter Inn & Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2011

Dear rbm444,

Thank you for your recent visit to our Hotel and for taking the time to write a review.

I am glad you enjoyed your visit and that you found the beds to be so comfortable. The Tempurpedic mattresses are a favourite among our guests! I am also glad that you enjoyed the pool area and koi ponds despite it being closed briefly for wedding ceremonies. We do host a lot of weddings here and oftentimes couples book the Atrium for their ceremony as well. We do our best to minimize the inconvenience to our guests and I am glad to hear you felt it was closed for a short period of time and then opened up promptly.

I am dissapointed to hear your comments regarding the lifeguards and their lack of enthusiasm. I will be sure to forward this review along to our head lifeguard so she may address it. I am glad to hear you enjoyed the Breakfast in Shelly's Tap and Grill but I will be speaking to the Restaurant Manager regarding the number of tables given to the servers during a busy dinner rush.

Thank you again for your comments; they help us to identify areas we need to improve upon. Hopefully we get the chance to welcome you back (despite the long drive)!

Reviewed 12 September 2011

We went to London for an overnight to see my nephew's daughter who has Leukemia. We stayed at this hotel. Very nice place. We were given a compassionate rate which was very nice of them. Fabulous pool. Great room. Very clean and we had a jacuzzi tub and a bathrobe/slippers/2 small chocolates left also for us. Also the next morning we had breakie at the restaurant at the hotel. Very good but abit slow on serving us. All in all a great weekend. We would definitely go back.

Room Tip: We asked for a non-smoking room and we booked fairly early. They were most helpful!! We did not want...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
fanofhotel, Manager at Best Western Plus Lamplighter Inn & Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2011

Dear Barrielovetotravel,

Thank you for completing a review and for your great feedback.

With our proximity to area hospitals, as well as our Complimentary hospital shuttle, we get the pleasure to host many people in town visiting patients, or even patients themselves. We like to think that we can provide a bit of a break from all of the worry and stress and I am hoping we were able to do that for you.

I am also glad to hear you enjoyed the extra amenities we provide, as well as your experience in the restaurant. I will be sure to forward along your comments.

Thank you again for your visit to our Hotel and all the best to your Nephew and his daughter. Hopefully next time you can visit with her by the pool rather than her hospital room.

Kristie