“Great place for kids”

Ranked #3 of 41 Hotels in London
Barrie, Canada
“Great place for kids”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2012

We stayed because we were in London for a karate tournament. The pool and slide were great for the kids. The indoor balcony in our room was great. My husband and I sat out after the kids went to sleep.

Room Tip: Get a room that overlooks the pool with a balcony. The pool is open until 11 I think so if you don...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
fanofhotel, Public Relations Manager at Best Western Plus Lamplighter Inn & Conference Centre, responded to this review, 12 January 2012
Dear Pet37,

Thank you for your comments and your visit to our Hotel; I hope the tournament went well!

The Atrium area is a favourite for our guest's, and I am glad to hear you were able to enjoy the balcony after the little ones were in bed.

Thanks again and hopefully will see you again in the not so distant future!

BEST WESTERN PLUS Lamplighter Inn and Conference Centre

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2012

Stayed here for 1 night with a couple of kids. Our room had an indoor balcony which overlooked the pool and waterslide area. Very neat. The waterpark was great. Wsnt huge, had just one slide, but was created in a mountain type setting and was lots of fun (even for me!).

Rooms were ordinary hotel rooms, clean, nice, comfy bed. Hd everything we needed. Would have been good for a longer stay too.

Lovation is good but is about a 5 or 10 minute drive from thedowntown core.

• Stayed February 2011
fanofhotel, Manager at Best Western Plus Lamplighter Inn & Conference Centre, responded to this review, 12 January 2012
Dear acanadagal,

Thank you for your comments and your family's visit to our Hotel. The pool and waterslide are a favourite for most of our guest's, especially the little one's. Thanks again and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Windsor, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2012

I made reservations in Sept of 2011 for Dec.30th & requested 2 rooms next to the pool next to each other as I brought my 2 youngest & 3 grandkids with us. I was told no problem. I called the day before our arrival & again was told no problem, we will see you tomorrow. We arrived early the next day & stopped by the hotel to let them know we were here & would be back later. Again I was told no problem on the rooms. When we come back we are booked into 2 rooms seperated by a corridor leading to the 'mountain' at the top of the pool, another room, the staircase going to the 2nd floor & then our other room. When I complained to the front desk I was told that was all that was available & to take it or leave it. Nothing else was avialble. At least 2 wedding parties were booked into the hotel during our stay & the partying in the hallways until at least 3am was annoying & loud. Someone brought their dog & it was barking off and on all night as well. I filled out the Customer Review form in the room but never did receive a reply or even the points on my Best Western Rewards card. We've stayed at several Best Western this past year that were all much better then this location. Very disappointed. While we did enjoy the pool & hot tub we will NOT be back due to poor customer service.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Tazman444
Dear Tazman444,

Thank you for choosing the Lamplighter and for taking the time to write a review.

First off, let me start by apologizing for your unpleasant stay. I can understand how frustrating it may be when you anticipate your trip will go one way only to have it go in a completely different direction.

Our Hotel is made up of 16 different room types spread out over 3 wings. Therefore, it can be difficult to place rooms side by side while still accommodating the room type required. At no time should you have been told "no problem" and I am very sorry that it was communicated to you on more than one occasion. We make every effort to accommodate requests but unfortunately it's not always possible. On an evening when our Occupancy is so high, it can be difficult to shift rooms around, however you should have never been told it was for sure. I have followed up with our Guest Services Manager and he is reviewing this procedure with all of our Guest Service Agents so that no other guest feels mislead.

Our General Manager did receive your comment card and sent out a letter and voucher to your address on January 4th, 2012. If you have not received it, please call the hotel directly at 519-681-7151 and we will resend it out.

My apologies again for your poor experience; I really hope your family was still able to enjoy the amenities despite the issues with your room location. Thank you again for visiting our property and I hope we receive the opportunity to welcome you back again.

London, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2012

Have stayed here many times and will continue to. Pool is very nice and a great place to spend your time. Fantastic place for birthday parties too. Lighthouse water slide is great! Clean hotel with friendly staff. Restaurant isn't what it used to be, but still decent. It's close by to many other good eateries though.

Room Tip: Poolside lower floor room.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
Dear Peter20274,

Thank you for visiting our Hotel and for taking the time to complete a review.

I am very glad to hear that you enjoy staying with us and that continue to visit us. You're correct; we are a very popular Hotel for birthday parties and our guests love our waterslide. As for your comments regarding Shelly's, we have changed quite dramatically from our previous time as a Smitty's. Most of our guests appreciate the change but I understand if it is not to your liking.

Again thank you for your comments and for your continuous visits to our Hotel. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Bowmanville, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2011

Check-in was average. The lady at the desk was not overly friendly or welcoming. We found our room and we were disappointed that it smelled strongly of cigarette smoke. The pool area was beautiful and the kids really enjoyed that. The restaurant (Shellys) was horrible. Slow service and very pricey for bad food. Do NOT recommend it. WE paid $100 for 4 dinners and none of the 4 of us enjoyed our meal.

Room Tip: If i was to go here again, I would get a poolside room. They overlook the pool area and are soundpro...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
fanofhotel, Manager at Best Western Plus Lamplighter Inn & Conference Centre, responded to this review, 11 January 2012
Dear Mickeychickcanada,

Thank you for your recent stay at our property and for taking the time to write a review.

I am glad to hear you and your family enjoyed the pool area but am sorry to read that the rest of your stay was not as pleasant.

To address your comments regarding your check-in experience, I have brought this to the attention of our Guest Services Manager and they are addressing the importance of being pleasant and welcoming to all of our guests. It is the first impression of the Hotel and can set the tone for the remainder of your stay therefore it is very important that the agent is friendly and that our guests leave the desk feeling welcomed.

I have also spoken with our Restaurant Manager regarding your experience in Shelly's as the slow service you received is unacceptable. I am very sorry that out of the 4 of you, no one was able to enjoy their meal and have brought this to the attention of our Executive Chef so he may address food and service quality in the restaurant. I can assure you we do our best to provide excellent service as well as value to our customer and I apologize that you found the cost to be more than what you felt the meal deserved.

Thank you for your comments and again my apologies that your stay was not more enjoyable. I appreciate you taking the time to notify us of these issues so we may address them and continue to be a Hotel that works to deliver in all areas.

My only hope is that we may be given that chance to welcome you back and that we are able to provide you with the excellent stay that the majority of our guests experience.

Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2011

I was surprised to discover that this "top-rated" and well established hotel and conference centre is so lacking in cleanliness. I attended meetings in a large meeting room (Chelsea 1) for 2 days. The table cloths were filthy - they appeared to be felt or velour so probably not easy to launder - I wonder if they were ever washed.... When my colleague and I lifted the heavy (and stained) drapes to look for an electric outlet for our laptops we found cutlery, heavy dust and chunks of debris along the wall - suggesting their vacuuming is only cursory if done at all.
On the flip side - the food was good (though I couldn't help but wonder about sanitation in the kitchen). I was most impressed with their system of setting up the entire buffet table before wheeling it into the meeting room. This minimizes disruption to the meeting, and makes for an impressive presentation of the food.
Another plus - there is ample seating and quiet spots in the public areas of the conference centre for phone calls, including the seating area around the pool. I had several phone meetings during those 2 days and was able to find a good spot every time.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
Dear Elycee,

Thank you for visiting our Conference Centre and for taking the time to write a review.

First off let me apologize for the issues you encountered in your meeting room throughout your Conference. While I find your comments highly dissapointing, I appreciate you taking the time to write a review as it has given us the chance to address them directly. Our General Manager is currently working with our Banquets team to consider possibly replacing the felt table cloths used. I can assure you they are laundered regularly, however their material does give the impression that they may not be. Our Conference Services manager has also reviewed the cleaning processes of Banquet space with all of our Porters and Conference staff to ensure they are performing a thorough clean of all rooms once meetings are complete.

I am glad to hear you enjoyed the food and found the service of the food in your meeting room to be efficient. I can assure you cleanliness is something we take very seriously and what you experienced is not the norm.

Again, thank you for your comments; without them we would not have been able to address these concerns so specifically. I really hope we have the chance to welcome you back so we may present ourselves as the clean and professional Conference Centre we are.

BEST WESTERN PLUS Lamplighter Inn
Burlington, Ontario
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2011

This hotel is a great place to stay with children.

We were there for a hockey tournament. The water park is a lot of fun for the kids -- especially for siblings who have to come along to the tournament -- it makes it feel like a mini vacation. There is also an arcade. So lots of things to keep the kids busy and ensure they arent disturbing other guests.

The rooms are clean and the beds are comfortable.

It books fast though so try to get in as early as possible

• Stayed September 2011
Dear burlingtonrunningmom,

Thanks for your visit to our Hotel and for taking the time to complete a review.

I am glad you enjoyed your stay and that you found the extra amenities we have available to be fun for your whole family. We host many hockey teams and other sports groups throughout the year and do our best to ensure we have enough to keep everyone entertained.

You are wise to suggest booking early as we do book up quickly on busy tournament weekends. Hopefully we will get a chance to welcome your group back next year!

Thanks again for taking the time and we look forward to seeing you again.

BEST WESTERN PLUS Lamplighter Inn