Best Western Plus Lamplighter Inn & Conference Centre
Ranked #3 of 41 Hotels in London
Cambridge, Canada
“cold pool”
Reviewed 17 February 2014

rooms were good, restaurant also good but the pool was way too cold! The hot tub was in turn filled with small children with no room to squeeze in. This was a big disappointment for me, my kids are under 5 so not aloud in the hot tub nor would I allow them so our night was not great, they spent about 10 mins in the pool then they were freezing, end of holiday for us, we just packed up and came home, we might try it again but I will call to check pool temp. The hotel should revisit the rule about so many young kids in the hot tub. Also games room was very limited to older children, stools would help shorter kids play air hockey at least.

Room Tip: the laundry machines make a good amount of noise, ask to be away from them
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank tina g
fanofhotel, Manager at Best Western Plus Lamplighter Inn & Conference Centre, responded to this review, 24 February 2014
Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay with us on TripAdvisor. We are so sorry that your holiday was cut short due to the temperature in the pool. Unfortunately these severe temperatures we have been experiencing this winter are making it very difficult to maintain our usual balmy temperature due to the area of the atrium and the fact that the ceiling is made of glass, and as a result the heat is being drawn from the pool. We have been making every effort to maintain a comfortable temperature in the pool and atrium, and are finding that it is just not possible on these unseasonably cold days. We can assure you that as soon as temperatures return to seasonal, our temperatures will be back to normal. Thank you for your suggestion to put a stool in the games room, I will certainly pass that along. We do hope you will try us again and encourage you to call in advance to check on the temperature. I am confident that you and your family will have a great time if you decide to give us another chance!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
Walterboro, South Carolina
Reviewed 16 February 2014

We spent this weekend at London and stayed at Best Western.
The restaurant was terrible,food took more than one hour and finally when came was awful. We all got sick the same night.
The room was reasonable size and the shower was really small.
It was nice and clean.
The kids enjoyed the pool
I am not sure if we would book again..Price per night around 170 cad, it is expensive compared of what we got...

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank sunnyrm17
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at our hotel. I am very sorry that your experience at our restaurant was unsatisfactory, and that you felt overall that our value left something to be desired. I will be sure to pass your comments along to our chef and restaurant manager so that these issues of wait time and quality of food will not happen again. Your experience is not consistent with the high standards of service and quality that we hold ourselves to, and we appreciate your comments as they help us to maintain and even improve our standards. I am happy to hear that you found your room to be clean and that your kids enjoyed the pool. We hope you will give us another chance to show you why we are the hotel of choice in London for a family getaway!
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 16 February 2014

This Hotel is very beautiful, for a 3 star. The atrium is gorgeous. The restaurant is excellent. It is conveniently located in the city. I would suggest mid week getaways if you want to avoid the sports teams and children, the weekend gets very busy.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
fanofhotel, Manager at Best Western Plus Lamplighter Inn & Conference Centre, responded to this review, 21 February 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review! We are delighted that you chose the Lamplighter Inn to take your mini romantic getaway, and very happy that you enjoyed your time at our property! You are correct that we are a popular choice for sports teams and families with children given our amenities including our tropical atrium, award winning swimming pool and waterslide, and we advise people who are looking for a quiet weekend getaway to call the hotel directly to book, and if possible reserve a weekend when we do not have sports teams in house. Thank you again for this great review, and we hope to welcome you back for another romantic getaway!
Simcoe, Canada
Reviewed 16 February 2014

My wife and I were having a wonderful stay at the Best Western PLUS Lamplighter Inn & Conference Centre in London, Ontario. The staff when registering us on check in registered us for one night staff, instead of two nights. so when we returned on Friday we had to go to the front desk and fix that up. The staff in the restaurant were very friendly and the dinner and breakfast were very good and worth the value. Breakfast is wonderful you cannot find a better price. Saturday 12:30 am we had to call down to the front desk to complain about the young men and women slamming doors, running up and down the halls, and being very disrespectful.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your experience in Shelly’s Tap & Grill – we agree that our breakfast is the best around! I am glad that the front desk was able to extend your stay for the second night, and apologize for the confusion there. We appreciate that you called down to the front desk to notify us of the noise in the hallways. I hope that the disturbance was addressed in a timely manner and you were able to enjoy a restful sleep. Thank you once more for your review of our hotel and we hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again!
kincardine, Canada
Reviewed 14 February 2014

I have two kids. we came into town to watch a show and spend the night. The room was pleasent and the food was nice. I was quite disappointed in the pool, it was really cold on both days. The dates i stayed there i was placed beside a kids hockey team. i will be sure to ask next time if there is a team there becasue the noise was unbelievable. running and slamming room doors from 9 to 1:45 am. I made 3 calls to the front desk within that time frame and nothing was resolved. I had two little kids who couldnt sleep. truthfully it was the worst rest i have ever had in a hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

I would like to begin by thanking you for taking the time to write this review of our hotel. We are happy to hear that you found your guest room to be pleasant and that you enjoyed the food in Shelly’s Tap & Grill. I am disappointed to hear that your stay was disturbed by teams staying in the hotel as well as the temperature of the pool. With regard to the cold pool, we have been monitoring the temperature in the atrium and pool closely. With the unseasonably low temperatures we have been experiencing this winter, keeping a constant warm temperature in the atrium is extremely difficult given its size and glass roof. We are very sorry that were unable to enjoy the pool due to the cold, and I can assure you that we have been doing all we can to maintain a comfortable temperature, and continue to do so as we ride out the winter.
Concerning the sports teams we had in house, we do our best to advise guests who are not with the sports groups when there is a tournament at the time of booking, however it is not possible to communicate this all guests since many people choose to book their reservations online. We go to great lengths to maintain order in the hotel on these weekends, including enlisting the help a uniformed police officer to monitor the hallways. We thank you for notifying us of the excessive noise outside of your room throughout the night and I apologize that it was not resolved. We are typically able to address these issues immediately upon being notified, and I will ensure that our managers are made aware that this did not happen in your case so that it does not happen again. We sincerely hope you will give us another try, and we recommend calling the hotel directly to make your reservation. If it is possible for you to book a weekend when we do not have sports teams in house we can assure you that you will have an enjoyable and relaxing experience at our property.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 11 February 2014

I have used the Lamplighter for several years whenever I am in London. The staff make this great facility even better than it is and it is a great facility. The rooms are modern, clean and have all the comforts of a much more expensive property. The only quibble is that the exercise room needs a serious update. The food and service in the restaurant and lounge add to the overall value and experience.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank McSmith978
fanofhotel, Manager at Best Western Plus Lamplighter Inn & Conference Centre, responded to this review, 20 February 2014
Thank you very much for this review of the Lamplighter Inn, and for being such a loyal guest! We are thrilled that you choose to return to our hotel when you are in town. I will definitely pass along your kind words about our staff, they will be happy to hear that all of their hard work is appreciated. I will also pass along your comment regarding our fitness room – we appreciate all comments from our guests, even constructive ones! Thank you once again for taking the time to write this review and we hope to welcome you back soon!
Sarnia, Canada
Reviewed 8 February 2014

Phil the hospital shuttle driver was great! He kept me entertained with stories on my daily visits to University Hospital while my daughter was a patient for 13 days. The staff at the front desk were wonderful too and accommodated my requests to extend my stay until my daughter was discharged from the hospital.

Room Tip: Beds were extremely hard fridge froze milk Hot Tub was awesome at the end of the day
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Thank you so much for taking the time to post this review on TripAdvisor! We are so happy that we were able to accommodate your extended stay, and I will be sure to pass along your kind words to Phil, he will be thrilled! We wish you and your daughter all the best!