“Daddy, can we stay here for two weeks?”

Best Western Plus Lamplighter Inn & Conference Centre
Ranked #3 of 41 Hotels in London
Toronto, Ontario
“Daddy, can we stay here for two weeks?”
Reviewed 22 September 2008

The first time I visited London, Ontario was in February 2007. I was wondering what I should do during the four hour trip on Via Rail from Toronto. I helped myself to several complimentary newspapers from the Panorama Lodge at Union Station. It so happened that an 87 year old lady sat next to me. We shared many conversations and an elegantly served breakfast of ham and eggs, fresh fruits, cereals, juice, coffee and warm croissants. This rail ride has now become a pleasant memory. My new companion had traveled to many places around the world and is still active in our Toronto community. “I like to swim, and I asked my husband to build an indoor swimming pool at home, so I could enjoy swimming all year around”. I was amazed at the amount of energy this lady had. It is true what people say that it is not the actual age of a person, it is how the person feels about themselves that counts. I have seen people in their teens that are already old.
The story about the swimming pool reminded me of the previous week that I spent in Antigua, and my suntan reminded of the warm turquoise water. London’s snowbanks, after the snowstorm, reminded me of the outstanding Antiguan white-sand beaches. Yes, it was only a week ago that I was there and I already miss the Caribbean warmth.

The concierge at the “Best Western Lamplighter” gave me the key for my room, and after rolling my suitcase throughout corridors I finally found my room on the third floor. First, as usual, I checked the bathroom. Okay, it was clean and roomy, with plenty of towels. Second, I opened the curtains to look at the view from my window. Wow, I had a feeling of De ja vue. From the balcony I could see turquoise water and palm trees! The hotel’ courtyard has a large swimming pool, jacuzzi and a waterslide under a huge glass ceiling. Then, I looked up. The snowpile on the huge glass ceiling was a good reminder of yesterday’s snowstorm.

Within a few minutes I was in that pool swimming and reliving my Antiguan “dejavue”. During my meetings at the conference in London, the thought of the palm trees and the turquoise water in the hotel swimming pool was in constantly on my mind. Each morning and evening I soaked in the pool.

There were other interesting experiences such as watching the roof tops from the second floor of the travel equipment store, Novack’s, from a Russian military submarine periscope. Other highlights of my trip were a beer tasting tour at Labbatt Brewery, The Eldon House, The Banting house, where insulin was invented, and The Children’s Museum.

Before my second trip to London, I contacted the London Tourist Office to inquire if there was anything that might be of interest to my two kids. They suggested that we visit The Children’s Museum , Storybook Gardens, and take a tour on London’s double decker bus. I had arranged our second trip to London in August of 2008. Making our drive was not too hard on the kids,and break the four hours trip into halves, we made reservation for the old Steam train ride from Waterloo to St. Jacobs. Our son Jonathan was so excited to be on a real, old steam train. All three passenger cars were nicely restored. This time, seated next to us was an old, big, stuffed Teddy bear, that could possibly have been 87 years old too. Although the majority of the passengers were other families with kids, I noticed that there were many young , newly wed couples as well as several seniors.

After a half hour ride, we spent the next couple of hours in the downtown section of St. Jacob, visiting museums, galleries and many giftshops on the main street of the town.. The market was our next stop. We spent two short hours at the market looking at handcrafts, watching the Mennonites and their wagons, taking the kids on pony rides and tasting Polish kielbasa.

The last minutes of driving to London were extremely difficult for us. Our daughter no longer had any patience to sit in the car and we were anxiously searching for the “Lamplighter” sign. After we located the hotel and found our room, my wife opened the curtains and I heard the same “Wow” that I exclaimed last February when I was last here. In few minutes the entire family was soaking and jumping in the pool under the palm trees. Our son, Jonathan, was not yet tall enough to enjoy the waterslide at the pool. But, my wife and I became teenagers again and slid down the waterslide a couple of times.

When we came back to our room to change for dinner, Jonathan exclaimed.
“Daddy, can we stay here for a week, or for a couple of weeks?
After dinner, Jonathan was in a tremendous hurry for us to change to our swim suits so that we could go back to play in the swimming pool. That Saturday evening the hotel’s swimming pool was packed with families with kids. Perhaps they are also repeat guests of this hotel, just like me!

• Liked — Swimming Pool, Jacuzzi, waterslide. Room is clean. great views from room.
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank KiMAGIC

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
Toronto
Reviewed 28 August 2008

Very clean hotel. Above average for Best Western chain. It is a large conference centre with many rooms and an absolutely terrific pool area. All rooms are very clean (I've stayed in a few) with no noise in the hall. Check in is easy. Room service a little slow for breakfast but hotel is still terrific for business travel.

• Stayed March 2008, travelled on business
toronto, ontario, canada
Reviewed 13 July 2008

went for a night stay from toronto with 2 kids ages 5 & 10 - we stayed in one of the king suites - only complaint was it was a little small for the 4 of us especially since the kids needed the couch to sleep - i wish they made pull-outs more comfortable and the room after the bed opened was really tight to move - but the service was great and we went for the pool and it did not dissapoint us !! Great Pool - clean and warm with lots of towels when needed - also there is a water slide which was lots of fun - close to everything in london and we would stay again but would want a renovated room that has more room but for 1 night stay its great !!

• Disliked — room was small compared to newer " suites types of hotels"
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
Kitchener,ON
Reviewed 29 March 2008

Have stayed here a few times. Always a great experience. This was the first time I stayed since they upgraded the tv's. All flat panel, nice touch.
Rooms are always exceptionally clean and very well laid out.
You won't be disappointed staying here, the services are great and the restuarant "Smitty's" is a landmark!

• Liked — location, services
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled on business
Toronto
Reviewed 17 November 2007

We showed up for our wedding night at the last minute (Sunday night). They gave us a good deal on a king bed with a whirlpool in the suite. The property is a paradise with a wonderful pool area. The next morning we invited our wedding party for breakfast at the restaurant. Good breakfast!

• Liked — The price/value
  • Disliked — The coffee machine
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled as a couple
Lasalle
Reviewed 12 September 2007

My family and I reserved a family suite the beginning of September to enjoy a weekend away from home. As we arrived, we realized that hotel must be very popular because we could barely find parking space. We arrived at the frontdesk only to be greeted by a nice looking young woman whom I felt truly enjoyed her job. She checked us in and had one of the porters help us with our luggage and show us to our room. While walking through the hotel I really noticed a warm and friendly atmosphere and I swear...every hotel staff that I seen that day had a smile on their faces. The interesting thing was that all of the staff whom I seen looked as if they were under 25 yesrs of age. Now in past experiences I have noticed that the younger staff arent as pleasant as older more mature individuals...I guess that I was wrong. The customer services was amazing. I would definately definately stay within this hotel again and I will recommend this hotel chain to others. Not only the service was great, but the rooms were very clean and modern looking and sometimes the rates are a little higher then perhaps some other hotel in london, but it is truly worth the extra money.

• Stayed September 2007, travelled with family
1 Thank Soccermom19275
Chicago
Reviewed 8 September 2007

Stopped over for the night on a drive from Chicago to Toronto. We didn't have a reservation but were able to get a room easily, even though it was after 9 p.m. The room was pricier than I expected for a Best Western, even with the CAA/AAA rate, but when we got to the room we were pleasantly surprised.

The decor is definitely an upgrade from your standard Best Western--sleek, modern dark woods, flat-screen TV, big fluffy duvets and three big comfortable pillows on each bed, a little as if someone had picked up the furnishings from a Westin and put them down in a Best Western room. The bathroom had a tub and a separate shower stall (good water pressure), with the sink outside the toilet/shower area (good if you're sharing the room with someone).

Our room was on the second floor of the rear building and had a balcony. It was spotlessly clean and quite quiet. There is free wi-fi but the network was so sluggish as to be unusable.

The staff was pleasant and helped us find a place to eat despite the late hour. The hotel is conveniently located if you're passing through town--it's not far from the highway but is located on a road that has a lot of malls and restaurants.

All in all, a very pleasant experience, though perhaps a bit expensive for what you're getting.

• Liked — Decor, clean rooms
  • Disliked — Price
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple