“Pool is not worth the nasty staff...”

Best Western Plus Lamplighter Inn & Conference Centre
Ranked #3 of 41 Hotels in London
London
“Pool is not worth the nasty staff...”
Reviewed 30 July 2006

We chose this hotel for the pool and the location. We booked the honeymoon suite that is almost 300$ all taxes included. The room is average nothing special and the same size as any other room. Except a jacuzzi and king size bed. We arrived the day before and held the room with our visa this was for a anniversary for my husband and I and my birthday, so the room was for us and our friends were all meeting us in the atrium for 8pm until our limo arrived to take us out on the town.. As you can imagine we were making sure all our arrangements were working out according to plan and the last thing we needed to worry about was our accommodations. (that we thought was taken care of) well my visa could not hold the amount of the whole room since we had other expenses for the evening planed with limos reservations at other events. They were not going to allow us to even check in our room and with hair appointments at 5pm and people set to arrive at 8pm this was very stressful at the last minute and not to mention embarrassing in front of all the other people at the front desk, plus for 300$ a night we hoped to at least enjoy the pool and work out room before we went to our appointments. After they were finished embarrassing us at the front desk the manager realized that my visa is valid and also that is is illegal not to except cash as a mode of payment for any business. The pool was fun (for the short time we got to use it) but when we returned just the 2 of of us to enjoy the jacuzzi after our night out and it would not empty and we could not use it, which was the main reason of getting the 300$ a night room and not a regular room for our anniversary, the fridge had also melted our personalized 50$ ice-cream birthday cake. All of this is not the fault of one person and especially not the staff, and I am not the type of person to complain about things out of mine and other peoples control, but the banging on our room door at 11am on the dot ( I know check out is 11 but we thought that since we were in the suite and paid so much for out room and it was a special occasion and I do stay in plenty of nice hotels and always book the suite that they would of late us stay for a late check out I also have to point out that I have never been denied a late check out EVER and I have also asked other people their thought on this and they agree) the angry man who banged on our door was so rude he was loud and when we were obviously half awake and asked if we had time to pack up he yelled "nope" and left. I felt like a teenager running around packing my stuff with no time to have a shower or brush our teeth or enjoy anything left in the room.(when we went down to the front desk as fast as we could to check out and pay for our accommodations we asked for the name of the man who banged on our door and in our opinion was unnecessarily rude and mean no one knew his name but after I became a little upset and even scared that they don't know who in their hotel did that they finally gave me the name James one of the many managers. I just guess I took for granted the nice and pleasant staff at other hotels and I can honestly say I have never been treated like this before. I guess I also thought the staff would care that it was a special evening for us and we thought they would at least try to make our stay a little more memorable. I also have to point out that after reading other reviews on this helpful site that there is some other guest that had the same experience with the same nasty staff.

• Liked — The pool
  • Disliked — the staff
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay at another hotel
  • Stayed July 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7 Thank Leeannaluvsdon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
alliston,ontario
Reviewed 9 July 2006

5 Min. off the 401 Highway a tropical paradise awaits. The major feature of this hotel is a large covered central atrium,and palm trees lining a large swimming pool, complete with water slide for young and old alike. The pool and gardens are beautifully maintained and the gazebo bar comes with an amiable host. The hotel and rooms are clean and well kept and the area has many restaurants and a shopping mall. I and my 12 year old son were in London the 1st week of July to visit my daughter who is a student at the nearby University of Western Ontario and thoroughly enjoyed our mid-week 2 day stay at this excellent hotel.

3 Thank rc1272
Windsor, Canada
Reviewed 4 August 2005

This is one of my favourite hotels! The waterslide is fun and the pool is warm. However I agree with a previous review about letting little kids into the hot tub. While I was in it a kid came running and jumping into it. We had a wonderful location for our hotel room. we were right behind the waterslide entrance so I could go up the waterslide as many times as I wanted and my mom could sit out on the patio. It was very busy while we were here because of a soccer tournament so there was long line ups for the slide and the pool was busy. But in the past when we have stayed here we had the best time of our lives. To bad it costed us $160 a night to stay there but I guess thats the price you pay for a great hotel!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2005
6 Thank bmwx5rocks
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 7 April 2005

The front staff is very rude and not helpful at all, expecially the Front Manager. Didn't want to accommadate us and gave our room away. Their policy states. First come, first serve. So what is the point is reserving a special room/location. I only stay there because of the pool and sleep and my kids enyoy the pool.

• Stayed April 2004
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Toronto
Reviewed 3 March 2005

I often use this site before booking a hotel. Usually it only adds anxiety to me as I read the complaints of many of the posts. What I have found is that usually only people that have a bad experience will take the time to write about a hotel - because of that, it appears that a hotel might be of less quality than it actually is. I can say that because I have read some negative reviews about this hotel. I have stayed here, and it is a great hotel - my 7 year old son had a blast. We had an amazing king suite. It is close to all ammenities. I am going back again this week end. So when you are reading the negative reviews of this hotel, just remember - there are always a lot more people that will take the time to complain about something - than to rave about it. Stay here -- it is a beautiful hotel.

9 Thank Darrin1974
Elmira, ON
Reviewed 29 December 2004

My third experience of the Lampliter Inn was in keeping with the first two times - the hotel was noisy (hockey tournament in town), the pool was cold and the hot tub was overwhelmed by kids. Also, couldn't sleep well as the static electricity in my blankets was so great that I couldn't turn over without getting an electrical snap. Weird, huh?

• Stayed December 2004
5 Thank George G
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 7 December 2004

This hotel is great, lovely pool but front desk staff is rude, unfriendly and impolite. Especially Rob who is supposed to be the assistant manager!!! The housekeeping staff is wonderful. Nice hotel but don't expect a welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member