“Surprisingly nice”

Ranked #3 of 41 Hotels in London
Chicago
“Surprisingly nice”
Reviewed 8 September 2007

Stopped over for the night on a drive from Chicago to Toronto. We didn't have a reservation but were able to get a room easily, even though it was after 9 p.m. The room was pricier than I expected for a Best Western, even with the CAA/AAA rate, but when we got to the room we were pleasantly surprised.

The decor is definitely an upgrade from your standard Best Western--sleek, modern dark woods, flat-screen TV, big fluffy duvets and three big comfortable pillows on each bed, a little as if someone had picked up the furnishings from a Westin and put them down in a Best Western room. The bathroom had a tub and a separate shower stall (good water pressure), with the sink outside the toilet/shower area (good if you're sharing the room with someone).

Our room was on the second floor of the rear building and had a balcony. It was spotlessly clean and quite quiet. There is free wi-fi but the network was so sluggish as to be unusable.

The staff was pleasant and helped us find a place to eat despite the late hour. The hotel is conveniently located if you're passing through town--it's not far from the highway but is located on a road that has a lot of malls and restaurants.

All in all, a very pleasant experience, though perhaps a bit expensive for what you're getting.

• Liked — Decor, clean rooms
  • Disliked — Price
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
LaSalle Ontario
Reviewed 20 August 2007

My daughter, granddaughter and I stayed at this hotel for 6 nights in mid July. My husband was going to London for heart surgery. As his surgery date was changed a few times, I had to notify the hotel each day about our arrival. They held our reservation and we were not charged for the 2 days we were not there. When we finally got there, the reservation desk added the needed days to our stay. We were given a beautiful room on the first floor with a very large balcony. Three other rooms patio doors opened to this balcony and the doors to the pool were about 30ft. away. My granddaughter loved it. She could go outside and run around, skip etc. and bothered no one. We were right there and could watch her at all times. My daughter and I also enjoyed this balcony late night and early morning. The staff was great, rooms very clean and pool always clean. They even have a shuttle service to the hospitals in London. Our room also had a fridge and microwave which came in real useful when you are staying for a length of time. I highly recommend this hotel. Another great point---- they have a hospital rate for families of London Hospital patients. My son visited us with his family and said he was booking for a vacation there even at the regular rate. This hotel has a lot of things to do with children and a restaurant on the premises. Tourist attractions are all close by. From LaSalle Ontario

• Liked — The large patio balcony off our room. Only 4 rooms have it though i think.
  • Disliked — There was nothing to dislike.
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with family
ontario
Reviewed 13 August 2007

I don't know what the other reviewers experienced who had negative remarks about this hotel but our family has never dealt with rude staff or dirty rooms. We go to this hotel a couple of times each year for a family get-away and it never disappoints! The atrium is gorgeous, the rooms are clean and the pool is beautiful. This hotel is located close to everything and is easy to access from the parking lot. I would recommend paying extra and staying on the poolside if you can, especially with kids.

Trust me, this hotel is worth the money. We have stayed at other chains (Delta hotels) in other cities that were terrible.

• Liked — the atrium/pool area
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled with family
1 Thank OntarioMomoftwo
Ottawa - Windsor
Reviewed 10 August 2007

A friend of mine had told me that the Best Western in London was very nice (as nice as a Sheraton or somthing at that level).

Not sure what the other hotels were charging the week I was there, but for $150/night I was a little surprised (thought it would be less expensive)

Room was pretty standard, but nice, large and clean. Hotel in general I found was in very good condition but found the staff to be a bit rude at times (maybe the heat?). Waterslide is pretty amazing for a Best Western (something you'd find at a big resort hotel).

I would return with the family.

Stayed August 2007
Canada
Reviewed 12 July 2007

Well I recently stayed at the Best Western Lamplighter Inn back in June with my wife and 2 sons. We were recommended by good friends of ours, but had no idea what to expect. We arrived at the hotel mid afternoon to checkin with the frontdesk. Apon arrival were greeted almost immediately by a lady whom was extreemely helpful.
I had explained that we were recommended to their hotel, and that it was our first time stopping at their location. The lady explained all of the ammeneties and gave directions to popular local tourist attractions. When we left the frontdesk, I must say that I was very impressed with the service that we had already recieved. We walked past the atrium area to get to our hotel room. The Atrium was beautiful, You really must see it to truly understand what everyone is talking about. Our hotel room was very nice, clean and welcoming. My family and I just had a wonderful time and we would definately visit back sometime soon. I give this hotel a 100 % because it's beautiful and I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Liked — The atrium area
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled with family
ontario
Reviewed 18 March 2007

We went here for a night during March Break. The room was nice but the belcony was dirty and sticky with cookies crushed all over from the previous occupants. The pool was freezing cold, at first I thought it was just me but everyone was complaining. There is supposed to be a 10 person limit on the hot tub but apparently the life guards can't count because there were easily 15 + people in there most of the time (just to warm up) The food at the restaurant there was also something to be desired. Never again !!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — pool area, temp and cleanliness
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled with family
6 Thank boy3andme
gurman20, Manager at Best Western Plus Lamplighter Inn & Conference Centre, responded to this review, 8 June 2007
I just wanted to update you that we have 172 rooms in the hotel and not 126. Rooma are renovated with wide screen TV and more

Alon
bay city michigan
Reviewed 22 January 2007

We were going to Toronto for a hockey tourney and wanted a hotel that my other 2 children would have a blast at before all the hockey set in, and it was my one sons birthday. i spent 2 days on line researching hotels and finally decided to stay at the best western, which was $30 more a night than the other hotels with a pool, but this one had the slide, which looked awesome! Well, the pool area is great at this hotel, the kids loved it, until we read the sign on the slide that told us the slide would not be open the entire time we were going to be there. We were there on a Wednesday, and during the week, the slide doesn't open until 4:00 p.m. So, we got in late, and they couldn't use it, and couldn't use it in the morning before check out either. My only complaint about this is that the slide's operating hours are not listed ANYWHERE on their website. if it were, i would not have stayed there. Other than that, we loved the hotel, it was clean, quiet, and our room was a very nice size for 5 people. was not at all dirty like some others have said. i would stay there again just to use the slide.

• Liked — large room, quiet
  • Disliked — slide not open during pool swimming hours
  • Stayed January 2007, travelled with family