Ivey Spencer Leadership Centre
Hotel Metro(London)
  • Restaurant
  • Pool
1,308 results
All reviewsbusiness schoolexcellent facilitywestern universitybeautiful propertyconference facilitiesrooms are smallmeeting roomuniversity hospitalguest roomsbreakfast buffetexcellent staya great place to stayenjoyed my stayfresh fruitbusiness tripivywedding
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 28 February 2012

Other reviews comparing the Ivey Spencer Leadership Centre with a university dorm room are very accurate. Walking long distances through mazes to get to your very small room are also accurate. Milling through student sprawled about and through many business men it again true to the experience. Groups of people standing in the hallway, talking, outside your room is very noisy and annoying. The bed was truly miserable and uncomfortable as were the pillows, although when I was leaving I saw at the desk that they did have a pillow choice you could request. I actually had to get up at 4 a.m. to take a walk because my back hurt so bad from the bed. I have never had to do this. I would guess it was the thin piece of foam on top of the cheap mattress, advertised as a pillow top bed, that got my back. My phone did not work nor did the internet. It was explained to me that it was a Mac problem. The room was so small that we had to sit down to let the other pass by.

My food was horrible. I ate at the first floor restaurant. The server was kind and attentive as were the staff at the front desk. The grounds are lovely.

I don't know what to say at this point. It has potential but maybe it should have a separate area for people who are not business school students or part of the conferences. Maybe an area with rooms that can accommodate 2 people with a bed that allows you to sleep through the night. It was the least romantic place I have ever stayed so get that idea out of your head if this is your plan. It is and is run like a business school.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
DerekG273, General Manager at Ivey Spencer Leadership Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 1 March 2012

Dear valued guest,

I am sorry to hear that there were aspects of your stay that did not meet your expectations. Our leadership team has reviewed at length your concerns and they are in the process of rectifying those issues to ensure they do not happen again.

This summer we will be installing new pillow top mattresses in our Heritage guestrooms, these mattresses were installed in our Ivey guestrooms a short while ago and we have received rave reviews from guests regarding their comfort. Our Ivey guestrooms are also closer to the front desk and more spacious.

We would welcome the opportunity to be of service to you again during your next visit to the London area, where we could provide you with the high level of service that you deserve.

Look forward to being of service to you soon.

Reviewed 20 February 2012

I stayed two nights here for an event at Western, and had a wonderful visit! The staff were kind and welcoming, and allowed me to check in early (I arrived at 11 am), and upgraded me with no charge because my own room type wasn't ready. Everyone went out of their way to make sure their guests were having a great visit.

The rooms were comfortable (even had a ceiling heater in the bathroom), and I really enjoyed the free specialty coffee/teas available for free in the lobby. The meals were delicious, and I especially enjoyed the beautiful weekend buffet which was an excellent meal for a very reasonable price!

If you are an active person, this is a great place to stay. My trip was busy, so I couldn't explore the hiking/running trails around the big property, but if you are visiting in the summer I hear they are great. There are basketball courts as well. I used the gym, which is beautiful and has lots of equipment (aerobic equipment, free weights, bosu, medicine balls, squat rack etc) - on of the best hotel gyms I have used. The equipment is new, the room is spacious and well-ventilated, and there are windows so you don't feel like you are trapped inside when you are on the treadmill.

Great stay! Would definitely come back! Slightly far from airport, but not too bad (24$ cab ride). It is close to Western campus.

Room Tip: All rooms are one Queen bed only, so not as good if you are travelling with more than one.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business

Dear valued guest,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us.

We strive to make our guests feel comfortable and welcomed when they are at Spencer and I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We hope to see you again - perhaps your next stay with us will be in the summer time and you will be able to explore all of the great outdoor activities we offer. We even have bicycle rentals for those that wish to view the area that way!

We look forward to being of service to you in the near future.

Reviewed 13 February 2012

The room was fantastic, with all the amenities one could want. The bathroom was very luxurious as well, with a beautiful huge, glassed-in shower. The room service was fast, courteous, and delicious. The buffet on the Sunday morning was not to be missed. The best buffet I've ever had in a hotel anywhere. I would recommend this hotel to anyone interested in a 5 star stay without the 5 star price tag attached. Excellent!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo

Dear valued client,

Thank you for your feedback on your stay at Spencer. I am glad you enjoyed the many amenities we have to offer.

We are committed to providing exceptional service and look forward to seeing you on your next visit to London.

Reviewed 17 January 2012

I must say I booked the Ivey Spencer Leadership Centre on line because the pictures intrigued me and it did not dissapoint.
I had a great stay, the check in was fast, the rooms very cozy, the staff very helpful and knowlageable about the area. Love the specialty coffee machines in the lobby too.
I will be back.

Room Tip: Make sure you have warm clothes and boots, it really snowed the time we were there.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Bobby L

Dear valued guest,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at Spencer.

Since your stay with us we have put into place new procedures that will assist our guests in
getting to their guestrooms in a speedy manner. Increased signage and staff assistance will hopefully improve this aspect of checking in.

We are pleased to offer two distinct room types on property - our Heritage Guestrooms and our more spacious Ivey Guestrooms. Please feel free to contact me directly on your next visit to London as I would be pleased to offer a complimentary upgrade to one of our larger guestrooms that are located nearer to the front desk .

We look forward to being of service to you in the near future.

Reviewed 15 December 2011

I am a Western Alumni who was returning to London to visit some friends and reminisce about my university days. I chose this hotel because 1) the price is reasonable and 2) the proximity to the university. I do want to say that I have made similar concerns known to the hotel manager, and talked to him personally after my visit and have full confidence that the matters I detail below will be / have been dealt with.

The grounds and overall building is immaculate, a real treat to see. Check in was speedy and courteous. My first concern occurred when trying to get to my room. It is important to know that the hotel is just one component of this complex (it also houses most of the Ivey School of Business MBA classes currently). Consequently the walk to our room was a trek, not in distance per say, but difficult to follow. A courtesy walk from one of the service staff to your room would be a welcome improvement.

The rooms are clean well updated but not spacious by any means (the rooms used to be dorm rooms which are not designed for expansive living). The morning shower brought the next problem, a severely clogged drain. My girlfriend and I had to shower in 5 min intervals with a 15min wait time in between or else the whole bathroom would flood. Not a great start to a day.

Finally, upon checkout, when we informed the service staff of our problem with the shower they made no apology, and showed no concern over our situation. While I understand it is at checkout and no solution was available, empathy would have been sufficient.

Overall this is a good hotel that needs just a little polish.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple