“Amazing location and service” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ivey Spencer Leadership Centre

Ivey Spencer Leadership Centre
Ranked #5 of 41 Hotels in London
Barrie, Canada
“Amazing location and service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2012

My mother, boyfriend and I stayed at this hotel the night before my convocation from UWO. Our stay was very enjoyable, relaxing and satisfying. We liked our rooms, were amazed at the customer service and thoroughly loved the food! We ate breakfast in our rooms and then came back at lunch and ate the buffet. The food was VERY delicious and well priced. The best parts, for us, were the high quality indredients they used in their dishes and the labeling of everything in the buffet and menu. Two people in our party have extreme sensitives to various types of foods. We didn't even have to ask the waiter which food was safe for us to eat because it was already labelled. For example, they use gluten free, dairy free, vegetarian, etc labels. Futhermore, the chefs tried to use local products and labeled all of the items that were local. We greatly appreciated this because we are from a local farming community.

Overall, in the beginning, we chose this hotel simply because of its closeness to UWO. However, we quickly discovered all of the amazing things and great service the hotel had to offer. We all agreed that we would definitely come back, always choose this hotel over all orthers in London, and promote it and its staff to family and friends. Enjoy your stay! We certainly did.

• Stayed June 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
, General Manager at Ivey Spencer Leadership Centre, responded to this review, 25 June 2012
Dear valued guest,

Our Food and Beverage team is dedicated to making every guest's meal enjoyable and satisfying - I am so glad that you and your party were able to enjoy our restaurant. We take food allergies/restrictions very seriously and try to make dining as easy and uncomplicated as possible.

We look forward to hosting you during your next trip to London.

Congratulations on your graduation!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2012

I stayed at the Centre for 5 days for an executive learning course and it was perfect. The hotel staff had everything running smoothly and made it easy to just concentrate on what I was there to do. The food was amazing and the grounds made getting out for some fresh air during breaks really easy. And having the gym was great after a day sitting in a classroom.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
DerekG273, General Manager at Ivey Spencer Leadership Centre, responded to this review, 7 June 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We appreciate you taking the time to let us know of your experience here at Spencer.

We try to offer a mix of business and pleasure and it sounds like you were able to take advantage of both sides of our service during your stay with us. It is a great stress reliever after a long day of classes to play basketball or volleyball on our outside courts, work out in the gym or take a bike ride on one of our rental bicycles.

We hope to see you on your next trip to Spencer.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2012

I was attending a weekend function at the University of Western Ontario and it was suggested that Ivey Spencer would be a good choice. It turned out to be an excellent choice. A nice, comfortable room (with a fridge!) was exactly what I was looking for. I used their shuttle to get to the University but walked back to the holel in the evening. I felt the price was right and it had everything I needed.

The hotel has several different accomodation areas and some seem to be focused on students in the MBA program (Richard Ivey school) but the area I was in was quite secluded.

BTW, I had a rented Chrysler product and the GPS listed the place as "Ivy Spensor"

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
DerekG273, General Manager at Ivey Spencer Leadership Centre, responded to this review, 5 June 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us.

We appreciate you taking the time to let us know of your experience here at Spencer. It is through comments such as yours that we are able to evaluate our services and enhance the guest experience. We recently added refrigerators to our guestrooms and now have two shuttles to provide more access to campus for our guests. I am glad that you enjoyed these amenities that Spencer offers.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2012

I booked this through hotwire.com and it was a surprise when Ivey Spencer came up. It was a little out of my way for a business trip stay (there are not a lot of amenities close to this location), however it is absolutely beautiful. The staff were very courteous and warm, and the room was clean, comfortable and spacious. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
DerekG273, General Manager at Ivey Spencer Leadership Centre, responded to this review, 28 May 2012
Dear valued guest,

We are pleased to hear that you had a pleasant stay with us and are glad you enjoyed the peaceful tranquility that our location offers.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2012

Beautiful setting, excellent service, clean and upscale room, great price and amazing breakfast buffet!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
DerekG273, General Manager at Ivey Spencer Leadership Centre, responded to this review, 14 May 2012

Derek Grimaldi
Windsor, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2012

Other reviews comparing the Ivey Spencer Leadership Centre with a university dorm room are very accurate. Walking long distances through mazes to get to your very small room are also accurate. Milling through student sprawled about and through many business men it again true to the experience. Groups of people standing in the hallway, talking, outside your room is very noisy and annoying. The bed was truly miserable and uncomfortable as were the pillows, although when I was leaving I saw at the desk that they did have a pillow choice you could request. I actually had to get up at 4 a.m. to take a walk because my back hurt so bad from the bed. I have never had to do this. I would guess it was the thin piece of foam on top of the cheap mattress, advertised as a pillow top bed, that got my back. My phone did not work nor did the internet. It was explained to me that it was a Mac problem. The room was so small that we had to sit down to let the other pass by.

My food was horrible. I ate at the first floor restaurant. The server was kind and attentive as were the staff at the front desk. The grounds are lovely.

I don't know what to say at this point. It has potential but maybe it should have a separate area for people who are not business school students or part of the conferences. Maybe an area with rooms that can accommodate 2 people with a bed that allows you to sleep through the night. It was the least romantic place I have ever stayed so get that idea out of your head if this is your plan. It is and is run like a business school.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
DerekG273, General Manager at Ivey Spencer Leadership Centre, responded to this review, 1 March 2012
Dear valued guest,

I am sorry to hear that there were aspects of your stay that did not meet your expectations. Our leadership team has reviewed at length your concerns and they are in the process of rectifying those issues to ensure they do not happen again.

This summer we will be installing new pillow top mattresses in our Heritage guestrooms, these mattresses were installed in our Ivey guestrooms a short while ago and we have received rave reviews from guests regarding their comfort. Our Ivey guestrooms are also closer to the front desk and more spacious.

We would welcome the opportunity to be of service to you again during your next visit to the London area, where we could provide you with the high level of service that you deserve.

Look forward to being of service to you soon.
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

I stayed two nights here for an event at Western, and had a wonderful visit! The staff were kind and welcoming, and allowed me to check in early (I arrived at 11 am), and upgraded me with no charge because my own room type wasn't ready. Everyone went out of their way to make sure their guests were having a great visit.

The rooms were comfortable (even had a ceiling heater in the bathroom), and I really enjoyed the free specialty coffee/teas available for free in the lobby. The meals were delicious, and I especially enjoyed the beautiful weekend buffet which was an excellent meal for a very reasonable price!

If you are an active person, this is a great place to stay. My trip was busy, so I couldn't explore the hiking/running trails around the big property, but if you are visiting in the summer I hear they are great. There are basketball courts as well. I used the gym, which is beautiful and has lots of equipment (aerobic equipment, free weights, bosu, medicine balls, squat rack etc) - on of the best hotel gyms I have used. The equipment is new, the room is spacious and well-ventilated, and there are windows so you don't feel like you are trapped inside when you are on the treadmill.

Great stay! Would definitely come back! Slightly far from airport, but not too bad (24$ cab ride). It is close to Western campus.

Room Tip: All rooms are one Queen bed only, so not as good if you are travelling with more than one.