“Western's Secret Gem”

Ranked #4 of 41 Hotels in London
Sudbury, Canada
“Western's Secret Gem”
Reviewed 30 April 2013

We needed a place to stay in London that was close to Western University. Lo and behold and thanks to Tripadvisor (as usual) we found the Ivey Spencer Leadership Center. The room was small but comfortable and in good shape. The historic grounds were beautiful. The staff members were friendly and helpful. We had a very tasty lunch at Ashers. We would definitely go back.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Michael D
DerekG273, General Manager at Ivey Spencer Leadership Centre, responded to this review, 1 May 2013
Thank you for your feedback during your recent stay at Spencer.

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and were able to enjoy a meal in our restaurant.

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience and hope to see you again soon!

Derek Grimaldi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 30 April 2013

We booked a room through a discount travel website and were skeptical at first until we read the reviews. We were aware that it was north of downtown, but soon realized that it is really not that far. The reviews also led us to believe that the rooms would be small. We called directly to inquire about a bigger room/upgrade and wanted a tub and was given a complimentary one. However, I'm not exactly sure as there are only 2 room types on the site.

Since we were only staying overnight and had planned to see various attractions, I wasn't able to take advantage of their fitness facilities. It is definitely modern and bigger than most. There is also a gathering/lounge area on the 3rd floor and it offers complimentary tea and coffee and they are not cheap about it.

There is a nice mix of old and new (renovations), which is apparent all over. We were given a room on the ground floor. Wife always prefers a nice soft towel, and they did not disappoint. No industrial wash smell, stiff from too much linen towels here. Rest of the room was great. I hate to complain, but the only issue we had was during the morning rush as the hot water could have been hotter, but it wasn't unbearable.

We weren't able to try out the lounge as they were boasting an extensive vodka menu. There was an anniversary party and we opted to skip drinks and go out for dinner and got back too late as well. We did decide and have their breakfast buffet and it is good value for what you get.

We are definitely intrigued with what other properties Dolce offers and like the concept. I would consider this as well when it comes to business for a retreat and would come back for personal reasons as well.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback during your recent stay at Spencer. I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us.

If your plans bring you to London this summer (July and August 2013) I hope you will return to stay with us - as we have a special offer that breakfast is included in your stay. I hope you can come back to Spencer and enjoy breakfast on us!

We look forward to being of service to you in the near future.

Owen Sound, Canada
Reviewed 18 April 2013

Stayed one night and would definitely come back. Service was great and the food that my wife and I had couldn't have been better. (Pork Tenderloin) Location was perfect as my wife had a doctors appointment at a hospital that was within a five minute drive. Went through Hotwire and wasn't sure at first but it turned out great. The service was the best part of this hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
DerekG273, General Manager at Ivey Spencer Leadership Centre, responded to this review, 22 April 2013
Thank you for your feedback during your recent stay at Spencer.

I am pleased to hear that you and your wife enjoyed your experience with us. We certainly do have a convenient location to University Hospital, excellent food and our staff definitely do make the difference!

We look forward to being of service to you again in the near future.

toronto, ON
Reviewed 7 April 2013

Although the rooms have a bit of a dorm feel, they are comfortable, clean and tastefully decorated. I stayed in an executive room (not heritage) on the ground floor- it had a very nice modern bathroom with a tub, comfortable bed, a desk, fridge, & flat-screen tv. The rooms are a bit small (I think the heritage rooms are even smaller- and don't have a tub), but it is well worth it for the price you are paying. I ate dinner at the restaurant which was tasty and well-priced, breakfast was included b/c it was the "spring escape" special- which was also good- lots of selection. The best thing about the hotel is the service- everyone- receptionist, desk staff, waiters, etc. were all super helpful and nice. Would definitely stay here again. It is located in the north end of London- close to Masonville mall and Western university campus (hospital, etc.)

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
DerekG273, General Manager at Ivey Spencer Leadership Centre, responded to this review, 8 April 2013
Thank you for your feedback during your recent stay at Spencer.

I believe that our associates make all of the difference for our guests and it would appear that they did make your stay more enjoyable and memorable. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay.

We look forward to being of service to you in the near future, and thank you for staying with us.

Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 2 April 2013

We had hoped for a more central location, when looking for accomodation, but once the cab drove through the gates of ISLC we felt relieved. What splendid surroundings, like stepping into a book...or movie that takes place at a college. Room smallish but adequate, bathroom thankfully newly renovated. The general interior could do with a refurbishment, but the "wear and tear" of it rather adds to the atmosphere. Ample breakfast buffet, genuinely nice service from staff over all. To be reccommended!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank ErikKristensen1964
DerekG273, General Manager at Ivey Spencer Leadership Centre, responded to this review, 3 April 2013
Thank you for your feedback during your recent stay at Spencer.

I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and appreciated the little differences that make Spencer special! We do have some renovations planned for the near future - so we will definitely be making the facility more spectacular.

We look forward to being of service to you in the near future.

Kitchener, Canada
Reviewed 1 April 2013

I have stayed at the Ivey Spencer now for 2 weeks going on 3 for work. I did not know what to expect at first, but it went beyond my expectations. The grounds itself are beautiful and I have spent many hours walking around the property and heritage wings and I still dont think I have seen the whole place! There are also alot of deer around the property and I even had deer right outside of my bedroom window last week, which I thought was pretty awesome.
The bedrooms are small, but the bed itself is extremley comfortable and you have all the amenities that one would need for a stay. I also loved the washrooms. Tip: The Heritage rooms have a nice glass shower where the newley renovated South Wing has clean and spacious bath tubs.
In regards to the food, I would rate it almost a 5 star. Considering how many nights I have stayed here, I still look forward to ordering off of the dinner menu! My favourite dish has been the thai stiry fry with rice noodles ( soo yummy!).
I also really enjoy the staff here, they are all very upbeat and energetic which is refreshing. I especially would like to thank Julie for all of her help. It is comforting too, knowing that there is someone at the reception desk 24/7.
Overall, I would highly recommend the Ivey Spencer Leadership Centre. It has felt like a second home for the past few weeks and actually has made the experience of being away from home alot better for me! Thanks to all the staff here for making my stay so enjoyable!

Room Tip: Heritage Rooms have a spacious, modern glass shower where the South Side Rooms have a large bathtub.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Shannon V
DerekG273, General Manager at Ivey Spencer Leadership Centre, responded to this review, 5 April 2013
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We enjoyed having you here - and I was pleased to hear that you enjoyed the many amenities we have to offer.

We really do try to make Spencer a "home away from home" and the staff really do make our facility special.

Again, we thank you for staying with us - and look forward to hosting you during your next trip to London - maybe a trip for pleasure this time!

Huntington Beach, California
Reviewed 24 March 2013

Stayed here for 6 nights during the 2013 World Figure Skating Championships in London. Staff did a wonderful job taking care of us and making sure we were comfortable. Fitness facility is great and is open 24 hours a day. Rooms are small but comfortable and quiet. Lounge has a full bar and decent menu; breakfast buffet was pretty good and stayed open late. Overall, I would recommend this property for a visit to London, particularly an extended stay for an event.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
DerekG273, General Manager at Ivey Spencer Leadership Centre, responded to this review, 26 March 2013
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We appreciate you taking the time to let us know of your experience here at Spencer.

We really enjoyed hosting people from all over the world while they were in London for the World Figure Skating Championships. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and that our facilities added to your experience.

We hope to see you during your next trip to London!