“Pleasant stay, but....”

Ranked #4 of 41 Hotels in London
Ottawa, Canada
“Pleasant stay, but....”
Reviewed 20 May 2013

Stayed over on business for 1 night in mid-April.

Wonderful setting and very helpful staff, but located a long way from anywhere, which is both good and bad. OK if one is focused entirely on meetings or studying, then its the perfect location with all of the necessary facilities.

My room was clean and comfortable, but functional.
As another reviewer mentioned - yes, it did remind me of an up-market university dorm, only much nicer and quieter.
The meeting facilities were very good.

My biggest criticism is twofold: firstly the restaurant closes at 20h00 (8 o'clock) and secondly there is no room service or bar food options (except for peanuts and chips). This means that if you arrive after 8 o'clock in the evening - you are out of luck for getting anything to eat - although it is apparently possible to order in pizza. On the other hand, the selection of beer was good as was the breakfast.

1 Thank Blue_Quill
DerekG273, General Manager at Ivey Spencer Leadership Centre, responded to this review, 21 May 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience here at Spencer.

It is through comments such as yours that we are able to evaluate our services and enhance the guest experience. We will review our restaurants hours of operation and our room service menu availability to hopefully be better able to meet our guests needs.

We look forward to hosting you during your next trip to London!

Derek Grimaldi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Seaforth, Canada
Reviewed 17 May 2013

On April 17th & 18 we had the priviledge of staying at this superb accommodation for the second time. This is without a doubt Londons # 1 Customer service Hotel. The Staff truly care about you, at Check in, dining and your room service. During our stay we required emergency services during the night. There was an incredible response within minutes. The rooms are well kept and attended to. The bed mattresses are very comfortable and the room layout accomodates your needs very well.
A special thank you to the Day & Night staff during our stay, you have won our loyalty and business.

Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us.

We want our guests to feel at home when they stay with us and our fantastic staff are our biggest asset. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and we appreciate your kind words and loyalty.

We appreciate you taking the time to let us know of your experience here at Spencer and look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 10 May 2013

I was surprised to know the reception desk knew my name and background as soon as I walked in the door (39 others checked in the same day) even though they had access to our profiles. To take the time to read and remember: AWESOME!

Rooms remind me of university dorms only of course much nicer: subdued, practical almost spartan with only the necessary items like a nice working desk. However, I was there to study and the objectives were more than met.

It is nice to come back after 3 years to find same friendly staff including the head chef Dee who made many creative and classic meals throughout our days there.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
DerekG273, General Manager at Ivey Spencer Leadership Centre, responded to this review, 13 May 2013
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We appreciate you taking the time to let us know of your experience here at Spencer.

We pride ourselves on our amazing staff - and it sounds like they succeeded in supplying you with excellent service during your stay.

We look forward to hosting you during your next trip to London.

Toronto
Reviewed 10 May 2013

Stayed at the Ivey Spencer Centre for a business trip to London. The property has a historic mansion feel to it. Rooms are a bit outdated, but I see it as historical charm. After checked in, I noticed that the A/C was not functioning. Guest service quickly attended to the issue and offered me a different room. Although it was a hassle to switch room, the staff was very apologetic and helpful in helping with the transfer. They even sent a snack tray up to the room with a card apologizing for the inconvenience. I wouldn't say it's the best room I've stayed in, but the service was impeccable. Would definitely recommend it!

Interesting fact: Ivey Spencer Centre uses some of it's facilities for their MBA classes. You might run into a group of MBA students hanging out in the lobby area, which reminded me of my college years.

Thank you for your feedback during your recent stay at Spencer.

I am sorry for your issues with the air conditioning in your room, I apologize for the inconvenience of having to move rooms. But I am glad our staff were able to make your stay a little more enjoyable with their hospitality and I hope you will be able to stay with us again in the future.

Sudbury, Canada
Reviewed 30 April 2013

We needed a place to stay in London that was close to Western University. Lo and behold and thanks to Tripadvisor (as usual) we found the Ivey Spencer Leadership Center. The room was small but comfortable and in good shape. The historic grounds were beautiful. The staff members were friendly and helpful. We had a very tasty lunch at Ashers. We would definitely go back.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Michael D
DerekG273, General Manager at Ivey Spencer Leadership Centre, responded to this review, 1 May 2013
Thank you for your feedback during your recent stay at Spencer.

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and were able to enjoy a meal in our restaurant.

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience and hope to see you again soon!

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 30 April 2013

We booked a room through a discount travel website and were skeptical at first until we read the reviews. We were aware that it was north of downtown, but soon realized that it is really not that far. The reviews also led us to believe that the rooms would be small. We called directly to inquire about a bigger room/upgrade and wanted a tub and was given a complimentary one. However, I'm not exactly sure as there are only 2 room types on the site.

Since we were only staying overnight and had planned to see various attractions, I wasn't able to take advantage of their fitness facilities. It is definitely modern and bigger than most. There is also a gathering/lounge area on the 3rd floor and it offers complimentary tea and coffee and they are not cheap about it.

There is a nice mix of old and new (renovations), which is apparent all over. We were given a room on the ground floor. Wife always prefers a nice soft towel, and they did not disappoint. No industrial wash smell, stiff from too much linen towels here. Rest of the room was great. I hate to complain, but the only issue we had was during the morning rush as the hot water could have been hotter, but it wasn't unbearable.

We weren't able to try out the lounge as they were boasting an extensive vodka menu. There was an anniversary party and we opted to skip drinks and go out for dinner and got back too late as well. We did decide and have their breakfast buffet and it is good value for what you get.

We are definitely intrigued with what other properties Dolce offers and like the concept. I would consider this as well when it comes to business for a retreat and would come back for personal reasons as well.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback during your recent stay at Spencer. I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us.

If your plans bring you to London this summer (July and August 2013) I hope you will return to stay with us - as we have a special offer that breakfast is included in your stay. I hope you can come back to Spencer and enjoy breakfast on us!

We look forward to being of service to you in the near future.

Owen Sound, Canada
Reviewed 18 April 2013

Stayed one night and would definitely come back. Service was great and the food that my wife and I had couldn't have been better. (Pork Tenderloin) Location was perfect as my wife had a doctors appointment at a hospital that was within a five minute drive. Went through Hotwire and wasn't sure at first but it turned out great. The service was the best part of this hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
DerekG273, General Manager at Ivey Spencer Leadership Centre, responded to this review, 22 April 2013
Thank you for your feedback during your recent stay at Spencer.

I am pleased to hear that you and your wife enjoyed your experience with us. We certainly do have a convenient location to University Hospital, excellent food and our staff definitely do make the difference!

We look forward to being of service to you again in the near future.