“Don't Be Fooled by the Name”

Ivey Spencer Leadership Centre
Ranked #4 of 41 Hotels in London
Louisville, Kentucky
“Don't Be Fooled by the Name”
Reviewed 9 July 2013

Guided, as we so often are, by TripAdvisor, we were looking for a nice hotel--not a "leadership centre"--to break up a long drive between the Bible Belt and Ottawa, the Canadian national capital, on the occasion of the July 1 celebration of Canada Day. Always seeking quality properties other than chains, our eyes were drawn to the positive descriptions of this place called, strangely, the "Leadership Centre." We found precious little to detract us, and the price was right, and so we reserved a room there twice, coming and going. We could not have been more pleased! Our first night hosts, Steve and Julie, were even more obliging than hospitable, and every facet of our two rooms was on a par with any hotel we had ever occupied. Yes, there were ample facilities for lectures and workshops, but the hotel went far beyond expectations, and the breakfast--food as well as surroundings--served coming by Judy and going by Sue, was not to have been missed. The daytime hosts, Alex coming and Agna going, were more than happy to meet our every need, and if our travels ever again take us through that part of the world, there is no other place we would consider. Next visit we will leave time to explore the beautiful, expansive grounds.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GordonSmith1025
DerekG273, General Manager at Ivey Spencer Leadership Centre, responded to this review, 10 July 2013
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We appreciate you taking the time to let us know of your experience here at Spencer.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and that our title of "Leadership Centre" didn't dissuade you from staying with us. We value our business guests as well as our leisure guests and are always trying to improve our services/product to make all of our guests feel comfortable and at home when staying with us.

We look forward to hosting you during your next trip to London.

Derek Grimaldi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Toronto
Reviewed 8 July 2013

This is a very nice place -- HUGE, and with sprawling, nicely maintained grounds. My wife and I stayed here recently for an overnight anniversary celebration. The room was lovely and clean, with all the amenities you would hope for and a comfortable bed. The staff were very friendly, especially our waitress at dinner, Ester, who went to the trouble of printing out directions to (the wonderful) Sunfest music festival, where we spent the evening. The food at dinner was very tasty. The room and restaurant prices were quite reasonable and good value. I was a bit disappointed with the complimentary breakfast. The coffee wasn't that great, I had to ask for cream, and the waitress got my order totally wrong. But, overall, we really enjoyed our stay and would definitely return when in London.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JohnLS
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I am truly sorry that you breakfast experiencedid not meet your expectations during your recent stay with us.

Consistency and execution are key components of our delivery promise and in this case we failed to live up to that promise. We have reviewed your feedback as a team and are looking at our processes to ensure these inconsistencies do not repeat themselves.

I am pleased that you did enjoy most elements of your stay and thank you for giving us another chance to make your stay perfect (upon your next trip to London!).

Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed 4 July 2013

I recently stayed and enjoyed the facilities immensely. The food was excellent and although the rooms are small, they are well laid out, and the bathrooms are excellent. Where I have issues is that a deposit was taken on my debit card and two weeks later it has not been returned. I have called several times to request a conversation with a manager and each time I was told this was standard. I have issue with the fact that the transaction receipt shows a VISA return, not a debit return. I feel they have processed in error. I have no issue waiting but feel my concerns were not being addressed.

Dear valued client,

Thank you for sharing your experience. I apologize for the delay in straightening out this accounting matter. I have spoken personally with our Controller and our Front Desk Manager and I have been assured that the matter is being looked after and that it is in the process of being rectified.

I am sorry that this issue had a negative impact on your otherwise positive experience and I hope that you will stay with us again if/when you visit the London area.

Thank you.

Niagara-on-the-Lake, Canada
Reviewed 23 June 2013

Pleasantly surprised. I stayed here for some meetings I had in the meeting portion of the centre. The food was very good and the meeting facilities above par. I didn't know this place existed but glad I do now.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
DerekG273, General Manager at Ivey Spencer Leadership Centre, responded to this review, 25 June 2013
Thank you for your feedback regarding our property and services.

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and meeting experience here at Spencer. We are a well kept secret in London - this is something we are trying to change!

We look forward to hosting you again soon.

Kamloops
Reviewed 23 June 2013

Attend a conference being held at Western University. The organizers secured a block of rooms at this hotel. Pleasantly surprised as I was told I would be staying in the university residences. This is a full service hotel and conference centre located on beautiful grounds. The room was large with lots of storage. The bed was extremely comfortable. There was a large flat screen tv, large desk with free wifi and coffee maker. The bathroom was spacious and supplied with all the toiletries required. Everything was clean and in good condition. It was very quiet and as a result I had a great sleep. There is a large restaurant and lounge downstairs that served a full hot buffet breakfast. Lots of parking available with easy access to the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room on the third floor so you have two windows and a view of the grounds
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business

I am glad you enjoyed your stay and experience with us while attending your conference. It sounds like you were able to enjoy our peaceful surroundings while also getting work done.

Thank you for your feedback.

Toronto
Reviewed 22 June 2013

Stayed there at the last minute during a business trip to London. Would definitely stay there again if my business was not downtown.
The negatives are few, and mostly a matter of preference, and the only real one is the location, being a 10 minute drive from downtown, and nothing within walking distance. Their reservations desk was "too" helpful - I didn't need to hear about the room amenities in such flourishing detail, I just needed to book it and get in there. I also don't like the dispenser style bathroom supplies. Last but not least, some brighter lighting in the room would be nice - and this applies to all hotels, which are often a bit dim for someone trying to get real work done. So, as you can see, I'm getting pretty picky just to find some negatives.
The good - getting work done! I normally wince when the internet service is wireless - the service here is AWESOME! Even at 10pm, when most other hotels wireless has been reduced to unusable, I was getting 18Mb/s down AND up! Good desk - no glass top to mess up the mouse. A large power bar right on the desk! A little upper shelf to put my stuff! A decent chair that actually goes high enough so that you aren't looking up at your laptop!
The room was comfy, maybe a bit small for a couple, good pillows (and they even make mention in the hotel info that they have different varieties on hand - great - I hate pillows that look big and thick, but when you lay on them are barely an inch high with ballooning sides around your head). Fridge in the room that's meant for GUEST use - no emptying half the minibar to put stuff in there. Breakfast was reasonably priced - $12 for all the typical hot and cold stuff. And of course not having to pay $20 parking downtown offsets the price to make it in-line with any of the downtown hotels.

Room Tip: "Garden View" didn't really mean anything in the room that I had (1130), but the large...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business

It sounds that overall you enjoyed your stay. We will definitely discuss your recommendations with the appropriate staff to better serve you upon your next stay with us.

We look forward to hosting you during your next trip to London.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 22 June 2013

I was recently in London for a wedding and based on the location of the wedding and reception, Ivy Spencer was the best option. Nice location, a short drive to the downtown. Check in was easy, our room was a bit of a hike from the main area, its actually a pretty big place. There were some conferences going on, however, the building was almost empty. Very quiet. The room was smaller than i would have liked, but had all the amenities one expects in a hotel room. Room service is available and our stay included a breakfast, which we missed.

Highly recommended, however, if you like a bigger room ask about upgrades.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple

I am glad you enjoyed your stay and perhaps if you do stay with us again you would enjoy our larger Ivey guestrooms - they offer a little more space than our Heritage rooms.

I hope you enjoyed the wedding you attended, and we look forward to welcoming you back to Spencer if you are again in the London area!