“getaway”

Ranked #5 of 41 Hotels in London
ont can
“getaway”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2013

we went for a personal getaway, we were pleased with our checkin, room , and grounds. there was a wedding going on and when we went for dinner we were placed in the private dining room. we thought this might be a problem since we were the only ones there and our server had to work both us and the wedding , well no problem he was attentive , friendly , the food was very good, and at the end he asked why we were there being polite and we said it was to celebrate my husbands birthday and our anniversary, he said we should have told him earlier so he could do something special but we said we were just fine.. to our surprise later we received a call in the room asking if it was ok for someone to come up and they brought a bottle of wine, some cheese and crackers and fruit., our stay here was very good ps the bed linen is super soft and lux

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rosrog
DerekG273, General Manager at Ivey Spencer Leadership Centre, responded to this review, 7 August 2013
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We appreciate you taking the time to let us know of your experience here at Spencer.

I am glad that you enjoyed your dinner and your stay with us and I am happy that we were able to help make you and your husband getaway enjoyable!

Derek Grimaldi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2013 via mobile

The photos of this place are beautiful, and the grounds are beautiful. We arrived and front desk was awesome. Wedding going on in the front of the hotel and he made sure the noise would not bother us. We had a beautiful room on the corner of the building. The view from both sides was gorgeous. The big problem withnthis hotel is there was nothing to do. When we arrived it was approximately 41C. So outdoor activity was not a great idea. There was supposed to be a restaurant a d games room according to the property listing on the net and because there was a wedding that was being used for a private party. The fitness room was good. Even the television had minimal channels. No movies to watch either. Not even pay per view. Our sink in the bathroom leaked. The room was small but nice. Very clean. Biggest issue was no restaurant to use on friday night. Was looking forward to using the patio and games room to have a relaxing evening. Had to go out to do that. Overall just ok. Wish we would have known the amenities were not available. No discount for that either.

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I am truly sorry that we did not meet all of your expectations during your recent stay with us.

We have reviewed your feedback as a team and are looking at our processes to ensure these inconsistencies do not repeat themselves. We should definitely have an area for dinner and relaxing even with a private event occurring - so we will try to remedy this for the future.

I hope you will give us another chance upon your next visit to London as we would welcome the opportunity to be at your service again.

London, Ontario
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2013

When I and my wife arrived last night, we observed a wedding taking place in an environment what reminded me of places I frequented in the summers when I was a teenager. Simple rooms, nothing fancy, simple building, rather small... and I was tempted to ask my wife: "What is it that made people rate this place as one of the highest rated hotels in London, Ontario?"
Nevertheless, we checked in, and got our room on the third floor. Our room is rather tiny, nothing to talk about at home... There is a fridge in the room, but nothing in it! We felt like drinking a glass of water... but no water in the room! Nothing! The fridge is empty. Had to go out of the room, and find the water at the end of the hallway, just cups and a water filling bottle, you know that 20 liter bottle that's upside down, and you can choose from room temperature and ice cold. I felt I had to wash the glasses too, they were not disposable ones.
I managed to kill a couple of bugs in our room on the wall.
Well, considering that the room costs almost $200, I had to compare it to one of the nicer hotels we stayed in recently, so I mentioned it to my wife: "This is $200, the Trump Toronto is $600 a night, what's the difference? Is the Trump Hotel 3 times better? Looking at the size of the room with absolutely no extras here and looking at the Trump room... well, the Trump room is about 1,000 square feet, this one is about 250 to 300 square feet. So the Trump Hotel room is about 3 times the size of this (or larger), so is it worth $200? I think NOT! I think this room should have cost about $120 at the best."
Coffee in the morning is self-serve, again, I washed the cup, not disposable. I opted to drive to a Tim Horton's rather, at least they serve you with everything in it. Whew! What a relief! LOL!
The property itself is nice, lovely grounds, but, like I said, this "hotel" rather reminds me or a motel-rated place that we were taken to on class trips when I was a teenager. Much too simple.
I truly hope the breakfast will be decent.
This is not a hotel I want to return to. Maybe I can use their conference facilities for my companies, the conference rooms look to be more impressive from what I could see through the locked glass doors.
This hotel certainly appeared much more welcoming and more luxurious than what it really is. Don't get me wrong, it is not truly bad at all, but it's simply as simple as it can get. If you book a $40 motel, that would be about the same as this, except here you pay close to $200 -- probably you are paying for their ground maintenance, there must be several dozens of nicely maintained acres of lawn, it is nice... but we didn't pay to look at the grounds...
The quality of the bed is super simple, every time my wife moved in her sleep, I woke up. I feel lucky that I am not overly tired after having woken about 20 times during the night.
I wish I checked this "hotel" out more carefully, it's certainly not worth its price, nor anything to talk about.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I am truly sorry that we did not meet your expectations during your recent stay with us.

I apologize that we didn't live up to our online reputation during your stay. We do try to make each guests stay with us enjoyable and special and I am sorry that you and your wife did not enjoy our facility.

I do hope that you will try us out for one of your conferences. We adhere to the conference centre concept - that streamlines the booking process as well as keeps the job of the planner as simple as possible.

Again, we value your feedback and look forward to serving you again in the future.

Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2013

Went their for a recent car club event. The pictures online look nicer than the Hotel which needs upgrading to overall look and feel. Service was 4 star, look and feel was 3 star. Need King size beds.
Breakfast selection and quality was so so. Grounds were nice. Numerous spacious meeting rooms and a nice Gym. Room was quiet and comfortable. Would have enjoyed a pool or Jacuzzi. Room was satisfactory - on the level of a Ramada Inn. Convenient location near shopping and restaurants. Easy parking. Good for group events. Nice outdoor seating area with space heaters. Would recommend this hotel overall, but don't expect Marriott or Hyatt quality vacation amenities.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
DerekG273, General Manager at Ivey Spencer Leadership Centre, responded to this review, 18 July 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

We will be undergoing some renovations to our property over the next while to create a more seamless flow from historic areas to more modern areas. I believe it will improve the over all look and feel of our centre and create a more attractive and comfortable environment for our guests.

I hope if you are in the London area again - that you will stay with us and view our transformation.

Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2013

Great location near the university. Nice room in very quiet location with large grounds. Okay buffet breakfast included. Some difficulty making the reservation but glad I persisted as it was in an ideal location for us.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank PatE57
DerekG273, General Manager at Ivey Spencer Leadership Centre, responded to this review, 16 July 2013

Thank you for letting us know of the difficulties you faced during the reservation making process - we will be reviewing our procedures with our reservations department to try to ensure these issues do not happen again.

I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to hosting you again.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2013

This is simply a lovely place to spend a few days. Situated in 30 acres, the view from my room was stunning. Price included free hot breakfast and free coffee all day. I like the fact that they provide 2%, Homo and cream and not the dreadful pods that are so common in other facilities. It is details like this that make so much difference to me. The room was ultra clean, I like the dispensers in the bathtub - so much better than all those little bottles. The linens had a vague silkiness to them that kept cool during the hot weather - very comfortable. Free laundry facilities are available (including washing detergents and softeners) ample free parking (don't you just hate having to pay extra to park a car - after all who checks in at a hotel without a car - not many). All the staff, especially Steve and Julie were attentive and friendly. I would have no hesitation in recommending this facility. Another good point - all the rooms have queen beds - which means that sports teams are unlikely to pick this hotel for their out of town tournaments.

Room Tip: I liked the corner units because they had two windows. third floor had good views
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Dear valued guest,

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that in particular Steve and Julie helped to enhance your experience.

Mississauga
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2013

I had stayed here a number of times on overnights for business, so when I was looking for somewhere to stay for longer-term due to a family member in the hospital (UH) for a lengthy stay, we chose the Ivey. While it doesn't have a "traditional" hotel feel to it, all of my stays here have been very pleasant. The rooms, while small, are very comfortable, clean and contemporary. The staff at the Ivey are outstanding; particularly Steven and Julie at the front desk, and Judy and Esther in the dining room. When my mother and I were staying there, we were only there for breakfast, as we spent our days at the hospital. Judy and Esther made sure we had a good breakfast, and sent us on our way with to-go cups of tea and lunch bags with fruit, snacks and water. Their thoughtfulness at such a difficult time was much appreciated. When I returned recently for business (after not having been there for five months), Steve greeted me by asking how my mother was doing and how my father's health was. I continue to have to travel to London for business, and don't expect to ever stay anywhere but the Ivey.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for your feedback regarding your many stays with us. We appreciate your repeat visits.

We definitely try to make our guests feel comfortable and at home while they are with us. I am pleased to hear that our facility and our staff helped you (and your mother) feel at ease while here.

All the best.