“Had a great experience, good value...will be our choice in London from now on.”

Ivey Spencer Leadership Centre
Ranked #5 of 41 Hotels in London
Reviewed 25 July 2013

My husband and I recently stayed for 1 night at about $100 including tax and breakfast for 2...a very good value. The room was clean, we didn't use the wireless internet so can't comment on it. We watched TV and had many channels to choose from (only mentioning this b/c i noted another reviewer said there weren't many). Bed very comfortable and hall quiet...great night's sleep. Bath towels fluffy, thick, clean and soft. We loved the location...just outside downtown, so quiet, but easy to find...and it made for great running in the morning, with the University across the street and other paths nearby. Breakfast was especially good...i.e. steel cut oats with carmelized bananas..yum! Nice fresh seasonal fruit...and I liked that each type of berry or melon was separate, so you could make a mixture or have a whole bowl of one fruit. The fitness room was terrific. Staff friendly and helpful. Coffee and tea and some fresh fruit were available at check in and early in the morning, before we went to breakfast. This is a beautiful old manor, with additions to make it into a conference center...lovely to explore. I also enjoyed the flowers and gardens. Overall, a great experience and we will be back!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
DerekG273, General Manager at Ivey Spencer Leadership Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2013

Thank you for your feedback during your recent stay at Spencer.

We greatly value our return guests and I am so happy to hear that you will stay with us again upon your next visit to London.

I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience and look forwarding to seeing you again soon.

Derek Grimaldi

Write a ReviewReviews (1,283)

Reviewed 25 July 2013

Arrived late due to traffic and wanted to relax. Took 20 minutes to find the room. The desk clerk gave incomplete directions. Our particular room was in a second floor walkup (no elevator in this section) which made it quite difficult for luggage. I believe that the hotel was formerly a college dorm. I have been to other hotels much smaller where the gave me a map. I had to go back to my car for something but they locked the doors 5 minutes early in my wing and I had to walk all the way around the hotel to get back in which was no easy task. Room was clean and nicely furnished. Hot breakfast buffet was included and was very good.

Room Tip: If you're assigned a room 200-212, ask for a different room.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I am truly sorry that we did not meet all of your expectations during your recent stay with us.

Consistency and execution are key components of our delivery promise and in this case we failed to live up to that promise. Based on your feedback we will now offer maps to all of our guests staying in the Heritage Wing of our property and also offer personal assistance if required. We also are in the planning stages of installing an elevator in the Heritage Wing - so thankfully once that is complete our Heritage Wing guests will no longer have to travel up the stairs with luggage.

Again, I am sorry there were elements of your stay that were not up to our usual high standards and I hope that you will stay with us again if your plans take you to London.

Reviewed 22 July 2013

we went for a personal getaway, we were pleased with our checkin, room , and grounds. there was a wedding going on and when we went for dinner we were placed in the private dining room. we thought this might be a problem since we were the only ones there and our server had to work both us and the wedding , well no problem he was attentive , friendly , the food was very good, and at the end he asked why we were there being polite and we said it was to celebrate my husbands birthday and our anniversary, he said we should have told him earlier so he could do something special but we said we were just fine.. to our surprise later we received a call in the room asking if it was ok for someone to come up and they brought a bottle of wine, some cheese and crackers and fruit., our stay here was very good ps the bed linen is super soft and lux

1  Thank rosrog

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We appreciate you taking the time to let us know of your experience here at Spencer.

I am glad that you enjoyed your dinner and your stay with us and I am happy that we were able to help make you and your husband getaway enjoyable!

We look forward to hosting you during your next trip to London.

Reviewed 21 July 2013

The photos of this place are beautiful, and the grounds are beautiful. We arrived and front desk was awesome. Wedding going on in the front of the hotel and he made sure the noise would not bother us. We had a beautiful room on the corner of the building. The view from both sides was gorgeous. The big problem withnthis hotel is there was nothing to do. When we arrived it was approximately 41C. So outdoor activity was not a great idea. There was supposed to be a restaurant a d games room according to the property listing on the net and because there was a wedding that was being used for a private party. The fitness room was good. Even the television had minimal channels. No movies to watch either. Not even pay per view. Our sink in the bathroom leaked. The room was small but nice. Very clean. Biggest issue was no restaurant to use on friday night. Was looking forward to using the patio and games room to have a relaxing evening. Had to go out to do that. Overall just ok. Wish we would have known the amenities were not available. No discount for that either.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

We have reviewed your feedback as a team and are looking at our processes to ensure these inconsistencies do not repeat themselves. We should definitely have an area for dinner and relaxing even with a private event occurring - so we will try to remedy this for the future.

I hope you will give us another chance upon your next visit to London as we would welcome the opportunity to be at your service again.

Reviewed 20 July 2013

When I and my wife arrived last night, we observed a wedding taking place in an environment what reminded me of places I frequented in the summers when I was a teenager. Simple rooms, nothing fancy, simple building, rather small... and I was tempted to ask my wife: "What is it that made people rate this place as one of the highest rated hotels in London, Ontario?"
Nevertheless, we checked in, and got our room on the third floor. Our room is rather tiny, nothing to talk about at home... There is a fridge in the room, but nothing in it! We felt like drinking a glass of water... but no water in the room! Nothing! The fridge is empty. Had to go out of the room, and find the water at the end of the hallway, just cups and a water filling bottle, you know that 20 liter bottle that's upside down, and you can choose from room temperature and ice cold. I felt I had to wash the glasses too, they were not disposable ones.
I managed to kill a couple of bugs in our room on the wall.
Well, considering that the room costs almost $200, I had to compare it to one of the nicer hotels we stayed in recently, so I mentioned it to my wife: "This is $200, the Trump Toronto is $600 a night, what's the difference? Is the Trump Hotel 3 times better? Looking at the size of the room with absolutely no extras here and looking at the Trump room... well, the Trump room is about 1,000 square feet, this one is about 250 to 300 square feet. So the Trump Hotel room is about 3 times the size of this (or larger), so is it worth $200? I think NOT! I think this room should have cost about $120 at the best."
Coffee in the morning is self-serve, again, I washed the cup, not disposable. I opted to drive to a Tim Horton's rather, at least they serve you with everything in it. Whew! What a relief! LOL!
The property itself is nice, lovely grounds, but, like I said, this "hotel" rather reminds me or a motel-rated place that we were taken to on class trips when I was a teenager. Much too simple.
I truly hope the breakfast will be decent.
This is not a hotel I want to return to. Maybe I can use their conference facilities for my companies, the conference rooms look to be more impressive from what I could see through the locked glass doors.
This hotel certainly appeared much more welcoming and more luxurious than what it really is. Don't get me wrong, it is not truly bad at all, but it's simply as simple as it can get. If you book a $40 motel, that would be about the same as this, except here you pay close to $200 -- probably you are paying for their ground maintenance, there must be several dozens of nicely maintained acres of lawn, it is nice... but we didn't pay to look at the grounds...
The quality of the bed is super simple, every time my wife moved in her sleep, I woke up. I feel lucky that I am not overly tired after having woken about 20 times during the night.
I wish I checked this "hotel" out more carefully, it's certainly not worth its price, nor anything to talk about.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I am truly sorry that we did not meet your expectations during your recent stay with us.

I apologize that we didn't live up to our online reputation during your stay. We do try to make each guests stay with us enjoyable and special and I am sorry that you and your wife did not enjoy our facility.

I do hope that you will try us out for one of your conferences. We adhere to the conference centre concept - that streamlines the booking process as well as keeps the job of the planner as simple as possible.

Again, we value your feedback and look forward to serving you again in the future.

Reviewed 17 July 2013

Went their for a recent car club event. The pictures online look nicer than the Hotel which needs upgrading to overall look and feel. Service was 4 star, look and feel was 3 star. Need King size beds.
Breakfast selection and quality was so so. Grounds were nice. Numerous spacious meeting rooms and a nice Gym. Room was quiet and comfortable. Would have enjoyed a pool or Jacuzzi. Room was satisfactory - on the level of a Ramada Inn. Convenient location near shopping and restaurants. Easy parking. Good for group events. Nice outdoor seating area with space heaters. Would recommend this hotel overall, but don't expect Marriott or Hyatt quality vacation amenities.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
DerekG273, General Manager at Ivey Spencer Leadership Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

We will be undergoing some renovations to our property over the next while to create a more seamless flow from historic areas to more modern areas. I believe it will improve the over all look and feel of our centre and create a more attractive and comfortable environment for our guests.

I hope if you are in the London area again - that you will stay with us and view our transformation.

Reviewed 15 July 2013

Great location near the university. Nice room in very quiet location with large grounds. Okay buffet breakfast included. Some difficulty making the reservation but glad I persisted as it was in an ideal location for us.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank PatE57
DerekG273, General Manager at Ivey Spencer Leadership Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2013

Thank you for letting us know of the difficulties you faced during the reservation making process - we will be reviewing our procedures with our reservations department to try to ensure these issues do not happen again.

I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to hosting you again.