“Location” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 41 Hotels in London
Vaughan, Canada
“Location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2013

My son is at school in London and I had to take my son to University hospital, the location was perfect, breakfast was great, room very clean. I found a little on cool side, my son and I both got sore throats that did develop into a cold. Not much lighting in the room. They do need to have larger signs outside of hotel I missed entrance the first time. They should have bigger sign. Because my stay was short I did not use fitness centre. I found a little on the expensive side but because of the location I would stay again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
DerekG273, General Manager at Ivey Spencer Leadership Centre, responded to this review, 7 October 2013

We are in the process of acquiring a new sign to be at our gate on Windermere Road. Unfortunately, our sign was accidentally knocked down and we do have temporary signage on the road until our sign could be remade. We apologize for the inconvenience this caused you.

I look forward to seeing you again and welcoming you back to Spencer.

Derek Grimaldi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2013

The hotel, on the whole, great. Breakfast was particularly good, with lots of cold and hot food, well presented at a buffet table.

Dinner at DK was a bit of a disappointment, Menu said New York strip, but it was really two slices of overdone beef, and far too much on the plate. My wife had salmon and it was also overdone.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
DerekG273, General Manager at Ivey Spencer Leadership Centre, responded to this review, 1 October 2013
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us.

I am happy to hear that you did enjoy some elements of your trip - and I apologize for the meal you had that you did not enjoy. I am reviewing your comments with our culinary team to ensure this does not happen again.

I would like to thank you for staying with us this Homecoming Weekend and I hope you will choose to stay with us again next year.

Buckhorn, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2013

I booked this hotel for a business trip because at the time it was rated #1 on this site so I had expectations that it would be a nice place to stay.

First the positives:
The grounds to the hotel were lovely.
The breakfast buffet was also very good and had a pretty big selection.
Service at the front desk was friendly.
In the lobby they keep two pitchers of flavored waters that are hit and miss, but a nice touch.

The negatives:
The beds are hard as a rock. A springy rock. If you like sleeping on cheap mattresses - this is the place for you!
The hallways in the newer wing were tired, dated, and dimly lit. Low ceilings and fluorescent lighting really didn't fit with my expectations.
There are excessive amounts of doors leading to rooms - okay - maybe just one extra set. But when you are hauling luggage, every door counts and these ones didn't have the automatic open buttons to assist (this also may be problematic for anyone with mobility issues).
At one point the door to a laundry area was open and that looked just horrifying. I am not sure if it was for guests or housekeeping but either way, it was like a second floor basement.
The rooms were small. I guess I am used to staying in hotels where there are two double/queen beds or one king and lots of floor space but these rooms were cramped. When you enter, the ceiling is quite low (though it opens up). There isn't enough room for two nightstands even, rather a desk serves as the second nightstand. Okay for one small person but if I was larger/taller, I imagine it would have felt uncomfortable. The bathroom was also cramped with the door essentially swinging open into the toilet.

All of this however was forgivable and would have just resulted in a "meh" experience. Not bad but not amazing.

However, housekeeping more than nailed the coffin closed on this place! It was the hair. Dark hair. Someone's hair was everywhere. And though it wasn't screaming infidelities, it was grossing me right out. First it was on the bathroom counter. It was dark and short. My hair is light and long. This hair was not mine. Housekeeping clearly had not wiped down the counter, and if they did they really half-[--] it. I was tired though and I thought, one hair, whatever. I wiped it into the garbage, washed my paranoid hands thoroughly, and then left my belongings in a different area so that housekeeping would hopefully clean the counter. Sadly, this was not the end of the hair. The next night, while re-arranging my pillows I noticed that the backs of them were covered in black fluff and stray hairs. Not one, but many. So many hairs. I threw all the pillows on the ground and kept the one that was least hairy. I believe the problem here likely came from their dryers. I feel like it was a result of static cling and a poor laundry system, or at least I hoped as that would mean the hairs were at a minimum laundered. My coworker who was also staying in the hotel had the same problem, finding stray hairs all over her bathroom as well. In the shower, on the counter. Hair, hair, everywhere.

The one thing I really expect from a hotel is that my room is clean. Not just a quick wipe down like I do when I clean my house, but the kind of clean that removes the grime of strangers who came before so that guests can sleep peacefully as if it is their own home. I really don't think that is asking a lot, but these days it seems so hard to find a place where the housekeepers actually care enough to properly clean the rooms.

Some of the negatives with this place are hard to fix and wouldn't have stopped me from staying again with this hotel but the housekeeping was just not acceptable. Hair stands out, its a good indicator of how clean a place is and it begs the question, if they missed a visible hair, what invisible grime is still lurking?

Room Tip: Check in when housekeeping is still on site so that you can have them re-clean your room before you...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
DerekG273, General Manager at Ivey Spencer Leadership Centre, responded to this review, 26 September 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I am truly sorry that we did not meet your expectations during your recent stay with us.

Our promise to our customers is to provide exemplary service and in this case we failed to live up to that promise. We have reviewed your feedback as a team and are looking at your areas of concern to ensure these issues do not repeat themselves.

I hope you will stay with us if you again visit London, as we would welcome the opportunity to provide you with the service/product you expect and deserve.

Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2013

Currently staying at the Ivy and can't say enough about the wonderful staff here. On the 6th night of 14 nights, I ended up catching a nasty cold. I heard the housekeeping girls outside the door, I popped my head out to ask for a box of Kleenex. Not only did she give me a box of Kleenex she went out of her way and brought me a kettle, tea, honey, fruits and bottled water. Felt good to have someone take care of me when I was sick. Another great thing is that there is a (free) laundry room supplied with detergent and dryer sheets.
The Ivy is also very central to the University, shopping, food, the hospital...everything is within a 5 minute drive.
I will definitely be returning to the Ivy the next time we/I come back to London.

Room Tip: The north wing is older than the south wing. The north wing is also quieter than the south.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank HockeyMummy
DerekG273, General Manager at Ivey Spencer Leadership Centre, responded to this review, 11 September 2013
Thank you for your sharing your feedback regarding your current stay with us!

I am glad to hear that you are enjoying your stay (despite your cold) and that our staff have helped you feel more at home. I hope you are feeling better and that you are able to enjoy the rest of your stay with us and the nice summer weather we are still experiencing.

Waterloo, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2013

A-1 arrangements were done at the Ivey Spencer Hotel & Leadership Centre. Full marks for co-ordination and arrangements in helping to make our Foundations in Parish Nursing Education weekend such a success.
Personally, my stay was impressive. The hotel/leadership centre has charm with its own history and ambience, situated on a beautiful heritage property with well maintained gardens. The food was awesome with lots of variety and catered to special dietary needs. The rooms were bright and very, very clean. The staff were friendly, courteous, professional and very, very helpful. I feel the entire staff went out of their way to make our weekend memorable. All in all, an excellent experience.

Room Tip: Inform staff of your personal needs. Because of difficulty walking up & down stairs, I was given...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Anne Marie W
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We appreciate you taking the time to let us know of your experience here at Spencer.

We were happy that you choose us as the venue for your Foundations in Parish Nursing Education weekend and that it was a success and you enjoyed yourself!

If you are in the London area in the future I hope you will stay with us again.

Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2013

I was thrilled to discover a hotel right near the Western campus. I was helping my daughter move into a new house for her Third year at school and I wanted to stay close by. I found this on Trip Advisor and it was an excellent choice. The girl at the front desk was very pleasant and upgraded me to a larger room which was very nice of her. The room was comfortable, quiet and had a nice view out onto wide lawns. The bed was exceptionally comfortable. In the morning I had a lovely breakfast buffet with a wide choice of fresh fruit, cheese, cereals, meats and the usual selection of hot items. It was very, very good. I will most certainly stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Temptationgirl
DerekG273, General Manager at Ivey Spencer Leadership Centre, responded to this review, 3 September 2013

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and found our close proximity to Western convenient for settling in your daughter.

We look forward to hosting you during your next trip to London.

Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2013

I was curious to try this lodge as I am a graduate of the university nearby and I thought it would bring back some great memories. I was very pleasantly surprised as how great this hotel is. The room as modest but beautifully appointed. The grounds are amazing hiding the hotel away from the surrounding neighborhood. The staff are friendly and helpful. And the breakfast buffet was amazing. I was really impressed - well done guys.

Room Tip: Go for a room that faces away from the restaurant. There is usually an event going on and they can...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us.

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and our staff provided you with the service you deserve.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Spencer.