“Little care for travellers.”

Ivey Spencer Leadership Centre
Ranked #6 of 41 Hotels in London
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Having had to call the hotel multiple times to arrange my stay (as no toll free number is provided for long distance callers), booking well in advance, speaking to staff both by phone and email to request a first floor room due to chronic back issues, I was told at check in that I was in a 4th floor room, that it was a short walk, and that this was actually a 1st floor room given the slanted build of the property. This was an outright lie, I was made to take an elevator to the 4th floor, then walk the length of a winding football field while dragging my luggage as the concierge staff made no offer to assist me with it. Further more I attended the hotel for a wedding, and was advised by the bride the next day that I was to have been greeted with a welcome package but was not. I was made to ask for it again the next day. At the wedding reception, I spent much of the night speaking to other attendees who complained of long walks for seniors to their rooms, and room over run with flies. All of this reflected the standard of service and general lack of care from staff. My room's showerhead was antiquated and sent an uncomfortable pressure of water such that takjng a shower was unpleasant. My sense is that customer care is poor at this property. attentiveness to visitors is lacking and staff are dismissive when concerns are raised.Staff dismissed my concern and made me feel as thought my back issues and health were unimportant.

Room Tip: I would love to provide one but having called to make a special request and followed it up with an e...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jillawoina
DerekG273, General Manager at Ivey Spencer Leadership Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2013

Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

I am truly sorry that we did not provide you with the service level that you deserve. We failed to perform as we should prior to your arrival and during your stay. I am not sure why you were not provided with a toll free number for reservations, this is not our practice and you should have been offered this number. I regret that you were made to feel that your health is of no concern to us. We do care and I apologize for the long walk and the lack of assistance offered with your luggage. From start to finish we failed to live up to our promise of excellent service, and for this I do apologize.

We will be reviewing your feedback with the appropriate departments (welcome bag, room requests, luggage assistance with our front desk and shower pressure with our housekeeping department) and will work toward correcting these issues in the future.

I do hope you enjoyed the wedding you attended while here and again I apologize for your experience.

___________________________________________________________________________

There are newer reviews for Ivey Spencer Leadership Centre

Reviewed 14 November 2013

We have held our annual retreat at Spencer Hall for several years now and it just keeps getting better!! We stay in the south wing where our meeting is located.
- The guest rooms are well appointed, very comfortable and quiet.
- The meeting room is spacious and sunny with windows on two sides. Everybody has a table to themselves and a very comfortable chair with excellent lighting.
- The food is wonderful!!!! Plenty of choice is suit everyone's dietary requirements and very attentive servers. The first day that we were there Ester greeted me with a hug!!!
I have stayed in a lot of hotels around the world and it doesn't get much better than this!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Rooms in the South Wing are larger than the original rooms in the North Wing.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
DerekG273, General Manager at Ivey Spencer Leadership Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2013

I am happy to hear that you have enjoyed your stays with us! We love to see our return guests and catch up on what has happened in their lives between visits. I am pleased that you feel at home here, that is what we strive for every day.

We look forward to seeing you during your next year retreat (if not before!) and thank you for your loyalty.

Reviewed 14 November 2013

Our group "Wealthy Women Leaders with Pat Mussieux" met here for a two day retreat last week. The staff person who checked me in was very helpful when I needed to find a store to replace some items I'd forgotten to pack. From the moment I checked in, the staff took amazing care of me and our group.

Ellen, Ester, Max and Evan were fantastic servers in the dining room, allowing me to order BLTs off-menu when I wasn't feeling up to eating at some meals. They were friendly, helpful and professional.

I loved my room - I slept well and the bathroom was huge. LOVED it! What a great home away from home and I'm looking forward to our next two day retreat in January.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We appreciate you taking the time to let us know of your experience here at Spencer.

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that our staff made you feel welcome and comfortable.

We too are looking forward to your visit in January and thank you for your loyalty.

Reviewed 12 November 2013

My family and I have stayed at the Ivey Spencer Leadership Centre four times over the past couple of years when we visit Western. We are never disappointed. It is conveniently located in London to everything. The free and ample parking is a relief upon arrival. The Check in is always speedy and efficient and the front desk concierge always professional and friendly. In the foyer, you are greeted by oranges, apples and lemon water. This is a lovely and hospitable touch for travelers arriving. The rooms are VERY clean and super comfortable. The mattress and pillows are perfect - not too hard, not too soft. We have always stayed for breakfast and dinner each stay and recommend the food, which is fresh and delicious. I highly recommend the Ivey Spencer Leadership Centre to business travelers as well as travelers on personal adventures. You won`t be disappointed.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Norffej
DerekG273, General Manager at Ivey Spencer Leadership Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2013

I am pleased to hear that you and your family have enjoyed your multiple stays with us! We think of our guests as family and I am happy that you feel comfortable here and have been able to enjoy many of the elements of our property.

We look forward to hosting you during your next trip to London.

Reviewed 8 November 2013

I absolutley LOVE it here! I have probably stayed here over 40 times over the past year since I have had to travel to London for work purposes. The staff are fantastic, the rooms are super clean and the food is amazing. I should also mention that the beds are really comfortable too and I had some of the best sleeps ever.

In my most recent visit here, I took the time to just relax, and enjoy the surroundings. I love the rich history that the Ivey Spencer has and if you are lucky you will also see all the deer that like to hang out around the building. I also took the time to visit their spa that is not located on the grounds but a short drive down the street. The spa is called the Tetherwood Spa and it is delightful. If you are looking for a place to relax and unwind then I would definitley go there, I highly reccomend it.

In regards to the food, I have tried everything on their menu and I have not been dissapointed. My favourite dish is the Thai Stir Fry, but anything that you get is going to be good. I also tried their breakfast buffet for the first time and it was one of the best I have had at a hotel. They have lots of healthy options and tons of fruit available. One thing I did notice that was a key feature is that most/all of the hot food (eggs, sausage, homefries) were gluten and dairy free! (It is nice to know that they can accomodate food allergies and sensitivities.)

Overall, I highly recommend this place to anyone who is looking for a nice getaway for work or pleasure.

Thanks again to everyone at the Spencer Ivey for making my stay here so enjoyable!!!

2  Thank Shannon V
DerekG273, General Manager at Ivey Spencer Leadership Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2013

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stays with us.

I appreciate your repeat visits and I am happy to hear that you have enjoyed our property as well as the area and businesses around it. I am glad you feel at home here and we value your business.

We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed 2 November 2013

Since I was travelling alone I felt the staff were very concerned for my safety and comfort which I truly appreciated. I was given a lovely room at the end of the first floor in the newer addition which looked onto the trees and fields that surround the centre. The history of this place holds my fascination and that is why this was my second trip. The staff could not have been more helpful and caring.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
DerekG273, General Manager at Ivey Spencer Leadership Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2013

We strive to make our guests feel safe and comfortable when they stay with us, and I am pleased that we were successful during both of your stays. We appreciate your business and look forward to a future visit.

Reviewed 1 November 2013

Stayed by myself from Oct 18-19 for a local hockey tourney. Check-in was quick and easy. Hallways/elevators/etc were all clean. Room was clean and tidy. Bathroom was excellent. The ipod dock was a great bonus. Logging into the hotel wifi was easy and quick. Room came with a fridge which was key. Walking to the rooms, it feels exactly like a university dorm.

My only complaint was the walking distance between parking lot and rooms. I had a room in the north east wing. The check-in desk was down a hill and on the south end of the building. So had to check-in, drive back up to the north lot, then walk back into the north east wing. Not a huge deal but annoying. It does make me appreciate the motels with parking right outside the room.

I had a package that included a buffet breakfast. Not great, not terrible, but convenient to just walk to the restaurant. Much better than any continental breakfast offered in other hotels.

Room Tip: Try to get a room close to the parking lots if possible
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo

I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay with us. The building is definitely expansive and a north wing guestroom (Heritage Room) is a bit of a walk. Our south wing guestrooms (Ivey Rooms) may be a better option for you upon your next trip to Spencer - they are located directly to the left of our front desk and do not require a return trip to the car to move to the upper lot.

We look forward to hosting you during your next trip to London.