“Very picturesque!”

Ranked #4 of 41 Hotels in London
Dalwallinu, Australia
“Very picturesque!”
Reviewed 14 February 2014

My husband attended a seminar there and I tagged along. The staff were wonderful, very pleasant and very helpful. We were there in winter and the grounds were beautiful, would love to return in summer months to see the contrast. The restaurant was very good, great food and great service. We arrived just prior to the restaurant closing, but they allowed us to order and then take our bags up to our room and freshen up and then come back and dinner was served. The room was great and the bed was nice and firm. Wifi internet access was great. I also used the in house laundry facilities, which were perfect, powder and drying sheets complimentary, perfect for the traveller. Would love to go back!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
DerekG273, General Manager at Ivey Spencer Leadership Centre, responded to this review, 20 February 2014
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us.

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and the guestroom, dining, laundry and grounds helped to make your experience here enjoyable. The grounds are beautiful in the spring/summer/fall - and we would love for you to come back and experience Spencer in nicer weather.

We look forward to seeing you again.

Derek Grimaldi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Port Burwell, Canada
Reviewed 14 February 2014

We booked the Valentines Day Special. Upon entering the room, we noticed there was no champagne or chocolate covered strawberries (included in the special). It took the restaurant almost two hours to bring it up and it was not even shown on our reservation that we had booked the Vday special. As a result we had to delay and reschedule our dinner plans. We weren't offered the chance to speak with the manager or any kind of resolution. On top of that, breakfast for two was included and they tried to charge us for delivery of room service. I told them what had happened the previous night and they agreed to take the $2.50 delivery charge off. All in all, it was definitely not worth the money. We will definitely never stay there again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Rachel K
DerekG273, General Manager at Ivey Spencer Leadership Centre, responded to this review, 21 February 2014
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I am truly sorry that we did not meet your expectations during your recent stay with us.

Our Valentine package was only to be available on February 14th and 15th - we have looked into your reservation and see that there was a glitch that allowed you to book earlier than those dates, and that was why we were not as prepared as we normally are. I apologize for this error.

Please feel free to reach out to me on your next visit to London as we would welcome the opportunity to be at your service again and make your next stay with us enjoyable.

Waterloo, Canada
Reviewed 7 February 2014

I booked this hotel because it is very close to the hospital.I was pleasantly surprised with our stay here. The rates are very good, the rooms are a bit on the small side, but more than adequate,the bathrooms have been updated.The only real complaint I have, was the mattress was quite hard and for me, quite uncomfortable.The coffee stations more than made up for that.. They have at least 3 different stations to enjoy complimentary coffee, tea, apples, bananas etc and in one spot have an entire table with sliced fruits, vegetable trays, candy, nuts, dried fruits, smoothies, squares and well stocked mini fridges with juices and pop, milk and starbucks coffee.. all complimentary..Im not sure if this was for a conference or they do this daily but we were invited to help ourselves...That was great and unexpected.They had the same set up for complimentary breakfast which was great as well. The best part was we received a complimentary shuttle to and from the hospital which on our snowy day was a huge benefit. The grounds look lovely but of course, everything was covered in snow, would be great in summer months..Overall great place to stay, friendly service and we would return

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
DerekG273, General Manager at Ivey Spencer Leadership Centre, responded to this review, 10 February 2014
Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay.

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed many features of our property. The grounds are definitely pretty to look at this time of year - but in the summer they are even better! We have on site sand volleyball, basketball and bicycles to use to explore the area.

Hopefully you will be able to come back in the warmer seasons to stay with us again.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 28 January 2014

I was really pleasantly surprised with my stay here and would definitely recommend it to colleagues and go back myself. I was there for one night on a work trip. The service was great, they went out of their way to make me feel comfortable and accommodate me.

I think this hotel is really well situated. It's on a beautiful and secluded property off the main road. I enjoyed the little extras, like complimentary coffee and tea in the main areas.

My room was a little cold and not the absolute cleanest, but overall this is excellent value/location, etc.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
DerekG273, General Manager at Ivey Spencer Leadership Centre, responded to this review, 30 January 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay with us.

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that you would return when again visiting the London area. I do apologize for the temperature and cleanliness of your room - I will be following up with the appropriate departments to remedy this in the future.

Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to Spencer.

Toronto
Reviewed 26 January 2014

I booked a room here from expedia. I had 2 options and I chose the room that was slightly more expensive. I believe I was put in the cheaper room. Room 113. it was nice and clean but small and I'm thinking not that one I paid for. I went to call the front desk but the phone option for front desk didnt work. The walk to the front desk from where I was was pretty fair through a bit of a maze so I didnt bother. The facility was nice, obviously more for a business or working environment then a hotel vibe which is cool. The restaurant food was good but the environment wasn't that of a restaurant. The service there was good though. One other detail I understood but didnt like was that they lock the front doors on one end of the hotel after 11pm so you have to walk, or drive to the other end to get in and then walk all the way through the facility to get to your end again. painful especially on a cold night. I come and stay in London a few times a year and have stayed in a few other places but decided to try this one. I dont think this would be in my top choices going forward. I am giving this a 2 star based on the room error. Other then that, a pleasant place to stay if this is your cup of tea.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
DerekG273, General Manager at Ivey Spencer Leadership Centre, responded to this review, 27 January 2014

Consistency and execution are key components of our delivery promise and in this case we failed to live up to that promise. I will be following up with our front desk manager to see why this room issue occurred.

I apologize for the inconvenience this caused and I do hope you will try us again as we would welcome the opportunity to provide you with the service you expect and deserve.

Stratford Ontario Canada
Reviewed 21 January 2014

This property is ideal for those who require tests at local London hospitals. Only a minute from LHSC Unversity hospital and no more than 5 minutes from St. Josephs.It offers all the amenities of a large hotel and is situated on a large wooded property ready for long walks. The dining room is elegant yet modestly priced.
Special rates are offered for families of patients in hospitals. The rooms were beautifully decorated.
Why stay anywhere else?

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the heritage building you will not be disappointed
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We appreciate you taking the time to let us know of your experience here at Spencer.

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and our close proximity to LHSC University Campus made getting to your appointments convenient.

We look forward to hosting you during your next trip to London.

Wingham, Canada
Reviewed 20 January 2014

If I ever have to stay in another hotel in London, I will be sorely disappointed!

What an unexpected, yet wonderful place to stumble upon! Driving past the front gates of the Ivey Spencer Leadership Centre (in its out of the way location), one would never even surmise that this is a hotel and would likely keep driving. What an experience they are missing! If not for the trusty internet, we would have likely been two of those unfortunate souls!

I was looking for a romantic and cozy (but affordable) weekend getaway that would be a little different from the norm and this is what I found. Lucky me...lucky us!

We were greeted by Julie...a perky, warm, inviting girl at reception and were immediately made to feel welcome. She explained the perks (like 24 hour refreshments at the coffee bar) and that we should feel free to go exploring through this historical wonder....something we took her up on after we got settled.

Our room was gorgeous, clean and had that brand new feel! We were in the new wing of the hotel and there were a few different lectures/meeting going on, but these did not interfere with our stay in any way. What a great place to hold your business meeting, if that's what you're looking for!

Our exploration of the hotel was just what we thought it would be - a step back in time. There are pictures up throughout the old wing with descriptions of the hotel changes throughout the years...very interesting. It's just a beautiful place. I look forward to going back during a less frigid time of year so that we can explore the substantial grounds as well.

All of the staff were friendly and cordial, especially Julie (we really liked Julie). We ate there only once, at the breakfast buffet and it was great! Service was awesome and the food was hot and tasty with something for every palate! We didn't walk away hungry, that's for sure.

I have never had an experience like this at another North American hotel. Kudos to the staff and an extra shout out to Julie for the special touches that made our stay even better (if that was possible).

Can't wait to return!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that in particular Julie helped to make your stay with us memorable. It is great to hear such terrific feedback and it sounds like you enjoyed many different aspects of what we have to offer.

We look forward to hosting you during your next trip to London.