“A Special Place”

Ranked #7 of 41 Hotels in London
Hudson Valley, New York
“A Special Place”
Reviewed 13 February 2014

I have stayed at the Delta several times and I can say I have always had some very enjoyable moments. For starters, the elevator is a very exciting elevator since it is glass and you can enjoy the view during your ride. The rooms I have stayed in have been spacious, the beds comfy, linens soft, big comfy towels, and bathrooms clean clean clean. The exercise room is spacious and there is an old school basketball court if you have an itch to see if you can still score on the court. The pool and hot tub are set in a huge atrium like setting and can be quite wonderful when it is not too crowded-try going at about 6 am to find solitude. I was disappointed on my last stay to find the hot tub ladder very loose, unsteady and downright unsafe - held together with duct tape! (I did mention it to them in a survey they sent me in my email after my stay where they responded and said they plan to fix it - I hope they do.....). Look for the historical items in the hallways lining the pool that help you remember you're in an old Armoury! Parking is a bit of a hassle since it's a block away in a lot - I have never used the valet parking but my brother told me it takes a long time to get your car. Most staff have been polite and helpful with the exception of the security officer who asked me during my last stay what was my business in the hotel when I was returning from a family dinner on a Saturday night - I was pretty insulted. In the past I have had trouble with noise from other rooms where one time a bachelor party was next door to me and consequently I had to move to a second room where the heat was stuck on. On the weekends there are usually events like weddings, fraternity parties, bachelor parties or regional youth hockey team events. If you want to sleep in this hotel, ask for a room away from the ruckus.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Tyler R, Guest Relations Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott London Armouries, responded to this review, 16 February 2014
We are so happy to have had you stay with us, and we look forward to welcoming you back again in the future! Thank you for your continued loyalty. We appreciated all your kind words regarding our establishment and staff members. Thank you again from the team at the Delta London Armouries!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
London, Canada
Reviewed 13 February 2014

Checked into the hotel on a Monday afternoon to celebrate my girlfriend's birthday that night. Thankfully the wonderful front desk attendant Mary-Kate inquired about my stay and asked if there was anything specific that I needed. Although I assured her that the beautiful room (located on the 2nd floor in the older section of the building) was enough, we returned from dinner that night to some red wine in the room and card wishing a happy birthday.

The room was clean, quiet and comfortable with a nice tv and a wonderful bed.

Upon checkout we had breakfast. Standard hotel breakfast buffet, however when our server chatted us up and found out about the birthday we were treated to a slice of cheesecake at the end of our meal. Another very nice touch was that we were given some to-go cups to bring the rest of our coffee home with us.

Highly recommend this hotel, especially for special occasions. The staff went above and beyond to make our night very special.

Room Tip: Ask about the rooms on the 2nd floor. They have spectacularly high ceilings (10-12 feet) and tall wi...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Tyler R, Guest Relations Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott London Armouries, responded to this review, 15 February 2014
Thank you for choosing to stay with us! We are so happy to hear we could make your celebrations extra special! We strive to ensure our guests are met with top notch service here at the Delta Armouries. Please think of us next time you are in town!
Brampton, Canada
Reviewed 11 February 2014

Stayed this past weekend (checked in Fri Feb 7, checked out Mon Feb 10).

The Good:
Before arriving at the hotel I called to inquire about parking and was told there was valet or outdoor parking at an impark lot across from the hotel. We arrived, parked at the lot and logged into the pay by phone app to pay for our parking but it was overcharging us. Long story short - we parked in the wrong lot. Went to the front desk to get directions to the correct lot and we were comped for our parking because of the confusion. This was really nice of the hotel, something I wasn't expecting.

The bed and pillows were very comfy.

Check in/check out was quick and staff is very friendly.

The Bad:
There are only two elevators servicing the 20 floors of the hotel, plus lobby and lower level - which made mornings quite a wait with lots of people using the elevator to get to the lobby to check out.

There was no fan in the bathroom which was just annoying after taking a shower.

I have stayed at two other Delta hotels - one in Toronto and one in Mississauga - and the Delta London Armouries can't compare with the design of the rooms. The Delta London seems slightly outdated, especially the bathroom. Not sure if they mean for it to look rustic because of the novelty of the building being an old armoury. But I think they should update their rooms to reflect the brand of their hotel.

The UGLY:
On Saturday morning I left to go out and do some shopping and slipped on the ice in front of the hotel. I got up and noticed a hole in the knee of my pants but kept going along. It wasn't until later when I came back and was getting changed that I saw the huge, bloody bruise on my knee. I went to the front desk to get a bandage and tell them what happened. The person helping me apologized and awkwardly asked if there was something I was looking for. I didn't know how to respond. Obviously I was upset that it happened but what was I supposed to ask for? They should have asked a manager to speak to me and deal with the situation. This was very poorly dealt with.

The sidewalks in front of and beside the hotel are very poorly maintained. I couldn't believe the sidewalk on the side of the hotel which guests use constantly to walk from the outdoor parking to the hotel was never shovelled in the 4 days I stayed there.

I ordered breakfast on Sunday morning to be delivered to the room. The food was ok, I've had better but it was ok. But the grossest thing was the salt shaker. Upon closer inspection, there seemed to be bits of brown food in the salt shaker! (See picture)

Recap:
Our stay in London was good. The people were friendly and it was a nice place. The hotel had it's good and bad, and considering that I might have a permanent scar on my knee I think the bad outweighed the good.

Room Tip: We were on the 17th floor and heard little to no traffic noise (except for sirens) and we had a corn...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Vanessa R
Tyler R, Guest Relations Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott London Armouries, responded to this review, 12 February 2014
Thank you for choosing to stay with us. We appreciate your honest feedback, and are considerate of your comments and suggestions. We do apologize for any inconvenience to you regarding any mishaps during your stay. If you would like to discuss your recent visit any further, please contact the Hotel directly to speak with the Guest Services Manager. We do hope to welcome you back in the future.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 8 February 2014

We were allocated to 1 floor and the price and amenities were good. Long waits for elevators when it's busy. Front desk very efficient. Parking is a bit of a walk and expensive considering where it's located. Very centrally located and easy to get to anywhere.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Tyler R, Guest Relations Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott London Armouries, responded to this review, 9 February 2014
We are so happy to have had you stay with us, and we appreciated your positive feedback about our Hotel. Please think of us next time you're in need of accommodations!
Canada
Reviewed 6 February 2014

I stayed here for one evening as my work colleagues had already booked their rooms here so in order to be at the same place I booked as well. I don't usually pick places that charge for parking etc ... if I can help it.

Lobby is really cool, pool and hot tub looked great as well but we were too busy to use them.

Staff - anyone we talked to was awesome as most of the other reviews have stated. All very pleasant and really eager to assist.

Few things that tick me off about these big chains - not enough to complain at the location but just stuff that bugs us. 1) bathroom design, horrible - toilet in our room was about 7 inches from the wall and had 2 toilet roll holders right beside it - I am not a big person and neither is my wife. If you are - forget it. Maybe it was just our room, dunno.

2) The ceiling in the bathroom had those dried water spots from the ceiling not being cleaned enough, the ones that look like mould but we know it isn't - but for a hotel of this "caliber" that decides they are so great they charge $20 for overnight valet parking, this shouldn't happen.

3) tiles and grout in shower - again - stained and not pleasant.

4) Back of bathroom door - looked like somebody had sneezed on it with toothpaste in their mouth - was really obvious and shouldn't have been there.

5) Tv and remote - worthless

6) bed - was saggy and way too soft for our tastes. Soft is fine but it sagged heavily in the middle.

7) internet - free version - slow. You can pay to upgrade.

8) breakfast - not included - why ??

Have to know why is it, the more you pay nowadays for a hotel, the less you get (in most cases, not all).

Sorry to say but our experience at this place was no better than hotels/motels we have stayed at that are $60. Wouldn't stay here again as it sure wasn't worth the $140 it ended up costing my company. For some reason this place just rubbed me the wrong way.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank scrufgrove
Thank you for your feedback, and for choosing to stay with us. Your opinion is valuable to us as it provides us the opportunity to address your specific concerns and progressively work to exceed your expectations. I have passed along you stay concerns to the appropraite Management team for review.
We do hope to welcome you back to our Hotel in the heart of downtown London in the future.
Minden, Canada
Reviewed 3 February 2014

Had a great, although short visit to London. Stayed at my home away from home - the Delta London Armouries. Loved my stay. The staff were soooo friendly. It's hard to go away and leave my family but it's so great to know that I am staying at a place that treats you like family.

Room Tip: I love the rooms on the second floor. They are part of the original Armouries structure...it like st...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Tyler R, Guest Relations Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott London Armouries, responded to this review, 4 February 2014
Thank you for staying with us! We appreciate your loyalty, and are happy to be your home away from home! We hope to see you back soon!
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed 30 January 2014

I stay at many hotels throughout the year on business, and I've never been compelled to write a review before. However, after taking on a contract in London this past year and staying here, I can truly say that the service here goes above anywhere else I've stayed in comparable hotels. The staff - from the bell service to the restaurant servers to the front desk (particularly those on the late shift), have made me and the crew of guys I work with feel at home. It can be weary being on the road for extended periods, and it makes traveling a lot more pleasurable when there is a connection to the people that work there. The hotel is fine, but the service is second to none. Highly recommended.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank QFTC_Traveler
Tyler R, Guest Relations Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott London Armouries, responded to this review, 31 January 2014
Thank you for your wonderful feedback! I will be sure to pass along your kind of our staff for recognition. Thank you for staying with us and please think of us next time you are in town!