“Dirty rooms, awful location”

Holiday Inn Express & Suites London Downtown
Ranked #19 of 41 Hotels in London
Reviewed 10 April 2012

I am writing this from the hotel room. I would leave but I am here on business with 6 other people and it is 10pm - too late to leave and many other hotels in the area were booked solid (no wonder this one was available). I have switched rooms 5 times and have not found a clean one. The mattress covers/bed skirts are all covered in other peoples hair (small, black hairs...). The room I am currently in also has a mattress cover with a broken zipper which should never have been placed on a bed - this should have been discarded or fixed. The carpets are not vaccuumed well either and there are clear pile ups of debris along all edges. One room I made a brief stop in wreaked of smoke despite this being a non-smoking facility. Though that isn't the hotels fault - it is still not acceptable. Another room had clear evidence of nasal fluids smeared on the walls beside the bed. Many of the walls in the hallways and in the rooms are marked up and need to be re-wallpapered.

I have been travelling a lot lately for work and have not had this issue at the other places I have stayed nor have I ever felt the need to write a review on a hotel before.

The front desk staff were fine with switching me but they do not have anyone in housekeeping on staff past 5pm and therefore it was not possible to request a room be properly cleaned (and properly cleaning rooms is evidently not something they practice here).

While I am listing flaws - The rooms are small/the furniture is too large so there is not much room to move around or put luggage (I recently stayed at a Hampton Inn in North Bay which was clean and had very nice large rooms).

The fridge and microwave in room are the only plusses but given the fact nothing is clean I dont plan on bringing food anywhere near this place. The TV is also nice - newer flatscreen but Id rather sleep in a tent and for-go basic cable ...too bad its below zero outside.

Other reviews noting the location as being terrible are spot on - this is not known to be a very nice area and the parking garage is NOT secure. Don't walk alone at night anywhere near here!

I have stayed at another Holiday Inn in Pennsylvania and it was very nice - I had expected the same from the brand but evidently that is asking too much.

Room Tip: Book someplace else
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank jvive
SaraDonkervoort, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites London Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2012

jvive,
I am sorry that you are unhappy with the room you are currently staying in at our hotel.
Reading your review on the cleanliness of the room comes as a surprise to me as we pride ourselves on the ability of our housekeepers and the jobs they do keeping our hotel clean. We even just had our quality inspector in and he complimented the Executive Housekeeper on how well the rooms are cleaned.
I wish you had brought this to the attention of anyone on the Management staff so that we could have tried to help rectify this situation. When we are unaware that something is wrong it is hard for us to help that guest out.
I do understand that switching rooms is not ideal and am sorry that there was no one from housekeeping here to clean your room, but seeing as all rooms are cleaned and then doubled checked by the housekeeping supervisor before they all go home, there is usually not a need for them to be on after that time.
As for the location of the hotel, I am sorry you did not feel it was a good place to be, but seeing as there are 4 other hotels right around us including a Hilton and Delta I can assure you that the Downtown Area of London is a fine location. It is really no different then the downtown is any other city, such as Toronto, Montreal or Ottawa. The parking garage is equipped with cameras that do record in case of incident and this is the same at other city hotels as most do not have locked gate parking. (Again the Delta & Hilton around the corner)
In closing I am truly sorry that you were not satisfied with the hotel in any way at all and if you wish to discuss this further I can be reach at gm@ldnhiex.ca.

Reviewed 10 April 2012

I stayed here because it was in walking distance from the location where I am working for the week. The room was pleasant, clean and quiet -- absolutely no complaints about that. The desk staff all but ignore guests coming in and out of the lobby -- including when I went to the desk for help with directions -- so I was not at all impressed with the service. Now comes the worst part: if you value breakfast, don't stay here. The breakfast sounds great if you read the menu, but it was 95% processed, premade, reheated junk food that looked revolting and tasted worse. My hardened, dried out "Western Omelette" was stuffed with something like Cheez-Wiz and canned ham, and I couldn't finish it for fear of vomiting. The only fresh thing in the room was a basket of apples. The coffee was lukewarm and in styrofoam cups; the food was on styrofoam plates with flimsy plastic cutlery. It was a horrible start to the day.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business

Banalities,
Thank you for letting know of your experience with us here are the Holiday Inn Express & Suites London.
I am truly sorry that you had such an unpleasant experience with our Front Desk staff and I assure you this will be brought to the attention of not only each and every one of them personally but also the Guest Service Manager. Each person on the Front desk is trained to Greet each and every guest coming in and out of the hotel at all times and to be made aware that this is not happening is very disappointing.
I am also sorry that you were unhappy with the complimentary breakfast but the food that is served in the breakfast bar is regulated by Intercontinental Hotels Group and the same at all Holiday Inn Express'. You are correct that is it processed food as we do not have to space or kitchen items available to make everything from scratch. I am going to personally take at look at how the staff in this area is making the food as we normally hear nothing but good things about the product even though it is processed.
If you are ever coming back to the London area please e-mail me so that we can try to change your mind about our hotel.
gm@ldnhiex.ca

Reviewed 10 February 2012

Stayed here three nights for the motorcycle show. Lovely room, if a bit tight, but right for the price.

• Stayed: February 2012

NorthernRoads,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel online. We always value to views of our guests as we cannot make things better if we do not know what is going on.
I am sorry you found the room a bit tight. I will definitely take this to the ownership and see if there is a possibility for smaller furniture on the next round of renovations.
Thank you again for your review.

Reviewed 22 January 2012

Very nicely decorated rooms, an unusual yet well adapted property to the Holiday Inn Express brand - 8/10

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business

bensagle,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review for our hotel.
It is always nice to hear positive things about the hotel and see them on sites like this as well.
If you are in London again we hope that we have the pleasure of being your hotel of choice so that we may do business again in the future.

Reviewed 16 January 2012

The staff are very pleasant and helpful and the knowledgable about London and area. We stayed in an executive suite (room 1007) and it was great. Very nice room. The wifi sucked but as I wasn't there to be on the internet I lived with it. There was some noise in the hotel at night but there seemed to be enough staff on that it was dealt with quickly I would recomend this hotel to people who are travelling for leisure activities.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends

Brad296,
Thank you for such a positive review and also the info about the internet.
It is always nice to see such positive things written about our hotel.
As for the internet, it was at that time an ongoing issue that we have since rectified with a new internet provider and we hope that next time you are in London you will stay with us again so that you can have a chance to experience it yourself.
Thank you again for you kind words and we look forward to having you stay with us again soon.

Reviewed 6 January 2012

We booked this hotel to have access to Victoria Park for their New Year's eve celebrations. It was a good location. The hotel itself was clean, but filled with people throwing parties in their rooms. Our room was clean, but the shower head and water pressure were horrible. The breakfast in the morning was complimentary and had many options. For a quick stay, this hotel fit our needs.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank UWarrior84

UWarrior84,
Thank you for your review and I hope you not only had a good stay with us but a good New Years down in Victoria Park. Thank you also for your understanding when it came to people partying in there rooms as it was New Years.
As for the water pressure in your room, we actually had a few complaints about that over the holiday Season and have since fixed that situation.
I hope that next time you are visiting London we will have the pleasure of having you stay with us again.

Reviewed 1 January 2012

We booked the hotel last minute on the phone as we pulled in. The check in was extremely convenient as I just showed them the confirmation number. Free wifi password available at the lobby and the front desk staffs we encountered were all very helpful. The parking lot was full when we arrived so they directed us to a near-by parking which would be the same price but we were offered a priority club membership sign-up which includes free parking and late checkout (2pm)

The room was noticeably extra dark and small. I would understand if I find that room size in a big city but for London I was expecting a bigger room. The room was clean and comes with a TV, microwave and a rather large fridge. Nothing special but did the job.

The breakfast buffet is ok. It comes with a good selection of cereal, yogurt, bread/bagels/pancake maker, breakfast items and drinks. It will fill you up but nothing phenomenal.

The best part of the stay was probably the staff, all of which very friendly, checkout was also a breeze and extremely convenient. I would maybe stay there again when visiting London but it wasn't the best experience.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends

iczi,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.
I will definitely pass along your kind words to the front desk staff and the Guest Service Manager to let her know of the great job her staff are doing.
I am sorry that you found out rooms a tad smaller then you expected but am glad that you had a fantastic experience otherwise and hope that next time you are in the area you would stay with us again.
Thank you again for your kind words.