“Marriott Residence Inn, London, Ontario”

Residence Inn London Downtown
Ranked #17 of 41 Hotels in London
St.Catharines
“Marriott Residence Inn, London, Ontario”
Reviewed 26 October 2012

This is a beautiful hotel with large rooms. The beds in the suites that our large party had, were king-sized and comfortable. Each room had a kitchen, unusual for this type of hotel. The prices, although slightly discounted for the wedding party, were very reasonable running from $125 to $145 before tax.
A hot breakfast was also included. Some of my fellow guests complained about the scrambled eggs stating that they were probably made from powder rather than real eggs. I didn't find them too bad. Besides, there were fresh waffles, sausages, toast, juice, cereals, etc., etc.

Room Tip: The suites are easily shared by 3 couples if one desires, as there are 2 bedrooms, each with a king...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
RIL2011, Director of Sales at Residence Inn London Downtown, responded to this review, 30 October 2012
Dear St. Catherines Rah

Thank you for the great review! I take that the wedding went really well and that you all had a great time. Please come and stay with us again the next time you are in London! Cheers

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Arabic first
Toronto
Reviewed 26 October 2012

Second time we have stayed here. Location close to the hockey arenas; minutes away.
We stayed in a two bedroom suite, but it only had one bathroom. Another bathroom would be ideal when there are 4 people staying in the room.
Not sure why we pay for parking considering the rates were not cheap.
Hot breakfast buffet was good.
Overall, would come back again.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
Dear Busy Mom 64,

I want to thank you for the great review and for choosing our hotel for your hockey tournament here in London. I hope that you all had a great stay and that the kids played well in the tournament! We look forward to your return next year!
Detroit, MI
Reviewed 24 September 2012

..... or at least that is what it could be called.

I would like to think of myself as a veteran traveler having stepped foot in over half the states in the U.S. and 4 provinces, as well as other countries, and having stayed at many hotels. It takes a special place for me to think "wow", and this was one of those places.

Since there was 5 of us I decided to book the 2 bedroom / 2 bathroom suite, the largest hotel suite in the hotel, and likely the entire city. The suite comes with a full kitchen, a living room, 2 bedrooms each with a king bed, and 2 bathrooms (each bathroom had a shower, no bath tub)... one of which is directly connected to one of the bedrooms. The sofa in the living room also has a pull-out bed. Each bedroom, along with the living room have a flat screen tv. Oh did mention the kitchen comes with everything you need to prepare a meal, should you choose to cook.

I mentioned earlier it takes a lot for me to think "wow". I am also not picky when it comes to hotels. A hotel has to be pretty bad for me to think something other then "this is a good average". The party I was with are very picky "clean freaks" and even they thought that this was one of the best.

One thing that really impressed me was something very small and simple, but yet I have never heard it before. When calling down to the front desk to schedule a wake-up call, the operator answered the phone by saying "hello Mr. ______ this is _____, how can I help you tonight?" That just seems so much better then the normal "front desk" answer.

The suite itself had individual climate controls, meaning you could set the temperature of each room separately, and it would stay that temperature as long as the doors were closed.

I was also quite impressed the next morning with the free breakfast buffet. Im not taking about all you can eat cereal & milk here. We are talking everything from sausage to eggs to a make your own waffle station which was great! They also have the traditional bagels, cereal, English muffins, and oatmeal. There seemed to be quite a few people lingering about, but the layout seemed thought out as I never had to wait more then 30 seconds to get any 1 item.

The hotel also has underground parking for an additional fee. Trying to get into the area was more like an extra hard driving test. As soon as you go through the door to get into the underground, there is a very sharp left turn, which if you have a large or full sized vehicle, might take a few tries to make that turn. This was the first time in my life I wished we were in one of of those roller skate smart cars. A majority of the parking spots are also quite small, so make sure and bring your can opener. The only con to this hotel is having to pay to park and there are not many parking spots at ground level, and they do fill up quick.

The location of the hotel is pretty much right in downtown so if you need to go someplace in or close to downtown this hotel would be a good location. It is also a short 10min drive from the 401 freeway.

The hotel itself does not have a pool, but instead has an agreement with the local YMCA, to let guests of the hotel use the pool. The YMCA is a short 5min walk to the other end of the block. The YMCA has two pools. A large lap type pool & a smaller pool. We were only able to go in the larger lap pool as the smaller one had already closed. The larger lap pool had a few lanes open for regular swim. The pool itself is quite large and goes to 6feet at its deepest point. Just call ahead and make sure they have open/recreational swim. They might be having classes as many facilities like this often do.

The only bad thing was the fact that we were only able to stay here one night, as I could have very easily stayed here a week or two. I will definitely be back to this hotel next time I have to travel through London.

Room Tip: If you are able to, spend the extra money for the larger suites. They are well worth the money, espe...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Wizzzkid
Dear Whizzzkid,

Wow what an amazing review! From all of the staff here at the Residence Inn by Marriott London Downtown we want to thank you for this great review. We take great pride in taking care of our guest here at our hotel and we are delighted that you had a great stay! We look forward to seeing you again the next time you are in London!
Reviewed 16 September 2012 via mobile

That was the message on the note on the dining table with some sweet treats and snacks! This is my fifth year staying at this hotel - and it does feel like home. The staff are always friendly and helpful, the rooms are nice and kept fresh and clean and my family and I always enjoy our stay. Will be back again!

Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
RIL2011, Director of Sales at Residence Inn London Downtown, responded to this review, 17 September 2012
Dear EricaWL,

Thank you for the great review. I am glad to hear that you had another pleasant stay here at our hotel. We look forward to serving you again the next time you are in London. I will be sure to share with our staff your kind comments.
Halifax Ns
Reviewed 15 September 2012

ROOM: Our Suite included seperate bedroom with queen beds. Sizeable living room with chase lounge and pullout sofa bed. Lots of closet space. Could have easily accomodated 6 people. Bathroom had shower only. Room very clean and spacious. Excellent complimentary breakfast. LOCAL Area: close to all amenities.

Staff were excellent and accomodating.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed 14 September 2012

I have traveled to the London area several times, and I will be continuing to travel in the area in the future. The staff (front desk and others) were exceptionally helpful and pleasant. The rooms were large, clean and very comfortable. I personally prefer the studio rooms with the central location of the tv. When traveling to London, or anywhere else, I will always try and get into a Residence Inn 1st. A comment for future improvement, the breakfast could have traditional bacon.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
Dear GaryTrav,

I would have to agree with you that the Residence Inn by Marriott brand is one of the best hotel chains in the market. Thank you for the great review. I want to let you know that we have taken your comments and moving forward will be serving traditional bacon during our breakfast time. We will also be serving the Canadian turkey bacon as a healthy option. We look forward to seeing you again the next time you are in town.