“Great hotel when we needed a great hotel!”

Residence Inn London Downtown
Ranked #18 of 41 Hotels in London
Reviewed 24 March 2013

We stayed at the Residence Inn London Downtown during the World Figure Skating Championships, March 12 -18th, 2013. London, Ontario is a small city to host a large world championship, and all the hotels were full. Often, in a situation like this, a hotel will lower its standards because people don't have many other options. Not so at the Residence Inn. The suite was huge, the service was excellent, and every single employee--literally--was helpful and friendly. I particularly appreciated help from Tina at the front desk and Taras in the dining room, but, as I've written, everyone was great.

I would certainly return to this hotel the next time we're in London, and have already recommended it to friends.

Note: We had a huge, two-bedroom suite. Because this room was booked by David Ash of Dash Tours, I have no way to know how much it cost. However, all else being equal, I'd request this suite or one like it.

Also, the main entrance to the hotel looks like the side entrance. It's tiny, with an equally tiny drive-up crescent.
Inside, the desk looks like a bellman's desk, not the main desk of a major hotel. Nothing really wrong with this.
I just mention it so that if you arrive at the hotel, you'll know that you're in the right place!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Herman M

Reviewed 14 March 2013

We were pleasantly surprise upon arriving at the Reidence Inn. We have stayed in many hotels in London, but the first time for the Residence Inn.
The room was amazing - like a little apartment ! Two separate bedrooms, sitting /tv area, kitchen....we only stayed one night, but could have easily made this a home base for an extended stay ( the kitchen was fully stocked - not food of course ) The complimentary breakfast was good . Something for everyone . The fitness room was great, and the equipment in good working order ( something that is not always the case when staying in hotels - I've experienced it !)
The hotel is located downtown, close to the YMCA. Underground parking was tight and there was a surcharge for this.
The only problem I encountered was that the security deposit came right off my credit card , even though we had prepaid through Expedia. I just happened to check my on - line credit card statement when I got home , and was not pleased to see that showing up. The hotel promplty refunded it when I called and complained. I have never encountered this before at any other hotels....usually just an imprint is taken in case of incidentals.
Over all, we were very satisfied with our stay.

Room Tip: Nice central location - great for extended stays
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank chester4091
RIL2011, Director of Sales at Residence Inn London Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2013

Dear Chester4091,

Thank you for this great review! I also want to apologize for the inconvenience that we might have caused you for the incorrect charges on your credit statement. You will be happy to know that we have taken this challenge as an opportunity for more training to our front line staff! Please let me know the next time you come to London! Cheers

Reviewed 4 March 2013

Had a few hiccups checking in and getting a room with a working tv and suitable for my needs of accommodation but far made up for it by the excellent service at this hotel! Perfect for business travel and would accommodate a family since the suites have a full kitchen. Complimentary breakfast and evening managers reception was perfect!!! My room had lovely furnishings, very very clean - no detail was missed. Front desk reception always said hello and made one feel very welcome at this hotel. Would never hesitate to return to this hotel. 5 star plus!!!!

Room Tip: While no restaurant at this hotel nor room service, the complimentary breakfast and managers recepti...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank sttmfamily
RIL2011, Director of Sales at Residence Inn London Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2013

Dear Bimson Family,

I want to thank you for writing such a great review on this site. I will share with our staff your great review, more specifically our front desk department. We hope to see you soon here in London.

Reviewed 26 February 2013

Just returned from London after spending a two night stay from February 22- 24, 2013 in a hotel that was comfortable not luxurious. I was told upon check-in about a $250.00 deposit that is added to the price of your stay which covers any damages that potentially could happen. I wish this was told when I called to reserve the hotel directly but if nothing happens this is waived. I was also informed that the underground parking was tight especially upon entry and this is no exaggeration. I stayed in the 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom and liked the layout which suited our needs. The larger bedroom has an ensuite bathroom (smaller than other bathroom) whereas the smaller bedroom has a bathroom in the main hallway (larger than ensuite bathroom). There were three televisions which was fantastic. The kitchen was very nice and the living/dining room was of ample size. I did have some reservations regarding the chaise lounge in the living room which was worn as well the club chair since they both needed to be reupholstered. The stay was quiet. The breakfast was good with no complaints. The only other reservation that I would comment on is this hotel allows pets which I did not know. I would sincerely hope that rooms where pets are allowed to be occupied are only those rooms and not all over. This is definitely something that the next time I book, I will certainly ask and it will severly impact where I stay.

Room Tip: Going into the underground parking lot required going down a steep hill. You need to make a sharp l...
2  Thank EbonyMan

Dear Ebonyman,

I would like to apologize for any inconvenience we might have caused you during your visit to London. You are absolutely right that we should have conveyed to you our policy in terms of cash transactions. I also want to thank you for this great review, and that you found our suites satisfactory and roomy! We are addressing the furniture in the suite that you had stayed in. We look forward to serving you again!

Reviewed 25 February 2013

Stayed here recently for a night while in town for a sports tournament. The room was perhaps as nice as any hotel room I've stayed in - very large, 2 king beds, full kitchen, living room, very nice bathroom. Good water pressure (a personal pet peeve of mine).

Only thing that detracted from our stay was the breakfast buffet was ridiculously busy when we were there. Several sports teams seemed to be all hitting the buffet at once and there was not enough room to find a seat. Not sure what the answer would be but it affected everyone's stay a bit I think.

Great hotel for the price, including underground parking - recommend getting to breakfast early!

Reviewed 15 February 2013

We stayed at the Residence Inn London on Feb 12. It was our second stay, the first was in November 2012. This time around we were ina one-bedroom suite.

The hotel is very well-maintained - both in the common areas as well as the suites themselves. The elevators were however somewhat is need of some tender loving care.

Parking as some other members have lamented is $12 per day with in and out privileges. The hotel should really consider waiving the fee for guests but perhaps, it is reflected in the pricing structure.

The kitchen is very well laid-out and equipped. The breakfast was decent if not spectacular. Wireless internet was a tad slow. I could not try out the wired internet as contrary to what the front desk clerk had told me when I checked in, there was no ethernet cable in the suite.

Location-wise, the hotel is situated a little off the beaten path, which is really a good thing for those familar with "downtown" London. Restaurants are a couple of blocks away if you are walking although there is nothing really fancy within walking distance.

The only negative I had was that (knowing the hotel was not overly busy), I had requested a late check-out (1 p.m.) and was quite surprised that the front desk clerk had to call housekeeping to see if they agreed. As it turned out, housekeeping would not agree to extend beyond noon.

1  Thank udomeidouwedo
RIL2011, Director of Sales at Residence Inn London Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2013

Dear Udomeidouwedo,

Thank you for this great review. I do want to extend an apology that we could not let you check out later the day of your departure. I would suggest calling the front desk the evening before the next time you are in our hotel for a late check out. As for our internet service, I have forwarded your request to our General Manager and we are currently working on getting the speed of our internet faster to provide to all future guests staying at our hotel. Once again, thank you for this great review. And we look forward to your return!

Reviewed 14 February 2013

For my birthday my husband booked this amazing room, best hotel room I've ever been in Canada! Esp for the price of a one bedroom, kitchen complete with dishwasher, living room, corner with a view. There is laundry downstairs, a free breakfast,internet( which was very slow though). There isn't,t a pool but a fitness center. The pool is down the road?? I just loved this room, as always it also had the Marriott touch, comfortable bed with luxury linens, pillow menu and decorated beautifully, it's going to win awards if it already has,t! Only downside is the not so free parking but it was worth it. PLUS we used our points so it was free!

Room Tip: Get the one bedroom suite
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ladybug2189

Dear Ladybug 2189,

I want to thank you for giving our hotel such a great review on this website! You are absolutely right, we are an award winning hotel. I am also glad that you found our bed and everything else in our suite very satisfactory! We look forward to serving you again the next time you are in London, Ontario! Cheers