“Good Pub Fare”

Ranked #217 of 1,067 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Canadian
“Good Pub Fare”
Reviewed 2 November 2013

Feeling like some comfort food with the cold and damp weather, we decided to give this pub a try. I had the Steak and Guinness Pie with some mushroom soup and it was very good. The atmosphere was also pub-like and the service was excellent.

• Visited November 2013

“Quick dinner....”
Reviewed 23 May 2013

Good service from the server. Had to wait 45 minutes for a plate of nachos though. The server apologized for what it was worth. When the food arrived it looked overcooked (burnt) maybe from the overhead lamps? There are now 5 restaurants in the village. It's too bad as this used to be our first choice. We'll check out one of the others next time.

Visited May 2013
“Poor Food”
Reviewed 30 March 2013

My wife and I have been to the old south many times but the last visit was during the summer last year, what a change - we were seated quickly and placed an order for a single fish and chips for me and a fish burger for my wife we also ordered drinks which came quickly, the food did not
after around twenty mins the waitress came and said she was sorry for the wait but our food would be along soon, fifteen mins later it arrived and what a disappointment, the fish on my plate was the smallest piece of fish I have ever had served anywhere and I have had fish and chips in many restaurants in the town, it was poor quality the fries which used to be home cut and fried I am sure were frozen - totally different from what we had before, the coleslaw was not fresh and my wife`s burger was not much better, she said her fish did not taste fresh and the salad she ordered was limp and swamped with dressing.
We did have a word with the waitress and she said that sometimes the fish was good and other times not so good, wow if the waitress tells you something like that the place has problems.As we left a guy hovered around the doorway with a rather terse " thank you for coming " which was about as honest as was the food.
We will not be going back.

• Visited March 2013
Ancaster, Canada
“Local Gem”
Reviewed 16 January 2013

Small pub with great food! Everything is fresh and delicious. Their sweet potato fries are awesome. They also pour a generous glass of wine . . . especially after a long day of work:) I'll definitely be back.

Visited January 2013
London, Ontario, Canada
“Son's 14th birthday dinner”
Reviewed 2 December 2012

Would really love to tell you that the food was great or not so great....but as we never made it past the front door its kinda hard to say...I will say that at 3:00 Friday afternoon I called the restaurant using the phone number on the restaurants website to reserve a table for four at 7:00 that evening. I spoke to a lady who took down my name and the time we would be arriving and said that she would do her best to hold one of the booths at the front of the restaurant for us. So at 7:00 after walking from our home, as we live in the village, we were told basically that I was lying about the reservation as they don't make reservations on Friday nights. I was then shown the appointment book by the night manager (and that's how he introduced himself) not his name, just I am the night manager...he then said to me "I don't know who told you had a reservation but we don't make them on Friday nights and we are full"........I told him that the lady I spoke to that afternoon didn't give me her name either....but that I did make a reservation, again his response was we're full....not once did he say "I'm sorry, or can I sit you at the bar until a table becomes available...he just stood there looking at us. I looked at him and said....no worries, we'll just take our business elsewhere. Which we did.

Now as I mentioned earlier we do live in the village and enjoy walking to the restaurants in the area so I can say that we have eaten here at least 10 times, but.....I will never go back..this was the final straw.... The time before this my husband and I went for a light dinner and gave our waitress a $50 bill to pay and she gave us change back for $40...when my husband asked her for the rest of his change she looked at him, and said "you paid with a $40 bill didn't you??? Really????

Anyways we are done....Gusto here we come!!!

• Visited November 2012