“Charming pub with lots of character”
Review of The Coates of Arms - CLOSED

The Coates of Arms
Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours
Dining options: After-hours
Reviewed 11 November 2013

We love this pub! The atmosphere, staff, food, and beer selection are well above average and worth going back to over and over again. We regularly have the nachos, but have begun to try other menu items and everything has been amazing. It is really a notch above most pub food and worth exploring the menu.

2  Thank wayne s
There are newer reviews for The Coates of Arms

Reviewed 31 August 2013

Not a fault. The fish and chips were golden, tasty and crisp. It's so difficult to find decent chips nowadays, and it is very pleasant to discover a place that serves them without a bucket of grease.

The beef tip Yorkshire pudding was freshly baked, and both the beef and sautéed vegetables in it were cooked to perfection. A variety of greens in the garden salad distinguished it from your average bed of wilted lettuce. Most importantly, none of the ingredients were frozen, and the both dishes were piping hot.

The server was friendly (hi Jon!), and we give our compliments to the chef. Thank you for our first taste of proper English food in London!

3  Thank GarnetCompass
Reviewed 30 August 2013

Had lunch with a friend (lunch on a weekday = limited time to spend at the restaurant - folks working near the downtown area should know this). We got our beer right away and were able to place our orders in a timely way as well. However, we then had to wait far too long for the food to arrive and my friend's order, though she was told could be altered from the menu description, was not. She had to pick away at the meal to avoid the ingredient she did not want. We were never asked if everything was "ok" - which would have given us the opportunity to bring this to the server's attention (who could not have cared less about us - the place was NOT busy...no one else was outside with us). When I finally got the bill after having to ask for it (we were completely ignored as she set up umbrellas), we brought the incorrect order to her attention and her reply was "lucky you!" Um, NO! Though I enjoyed my meal and my beer immensely, I will hesitate to return for fear that the service will be lousy, slow, inattentive and uncaring.

Reviewed 29 August 2013

Nice patio. The interlocking stones are a bit wonky, but there is lots of room between tables. No loud music blaring so you are still able to carry on a conversation as you eat. Decent location for people watching.

Service? Quick and polite. No complaints there.

Beer? Cold and priced right. Good selection.

Food? NOT! The chicken wings on a recent Monday night were so under-cooked they were practically clucking. The Cajun “dry rub” was nothing more than Club House Cajun seasoning, straight out of the jar. The so-called blue cheese for dipping was just salad dressing, a pretty cheap dressing, at that. I am thinking “No Name”.

On a positive note, the wings were a good size, sold by the pound, so an order worked out to around eight of them. And the fries were not McCain’s, so it scores better than many restaurants in downtown London.

This restaurant has been in business here for a good while now, but I suspect it owes its longevity more to the beer selection and the “faux” British atmosphere inside (it’s head and shoulders above outfits like the Elephant & Castle) rather than to the quality of its food.

Wings are a Monday night special here: 20 bucks for a pitcher of beer and a pound of wings. Unfortunately, considering the quality, this was one meal I absolutely would not recommend.

There’s a lot of potential here, a lot to work with. It just needs somebody to make it happen.

Reviewed 4 August 2013

The decor reminded me of pubs in England. It was a little underwhelming as I didn't get that comaraderie or friendly feeling I got in England. The food was typical pub fare and nicely prepared. In fairness to the pub we were there for dinner at 6:30 pm prior to the theatre. Perhaps things get more lively as the night goes on.

1  Thank sewing53