“Beautiful Location”

Ranked #15 of 41 Hotels in London
Thedford, Ontario
“Beautiful Location”
Reviewed 21 December 2012

This hotel in the North end of the city of London is very nice because it is off the beaten track within a very natural and beautiful setting. The rooms are traditionally decorated, clean and smell fantastic! If you're looking for fancy and new, this is not the place for you...but if you are looking for a quaint and welcoming environment, it is perfect!

Room Tip: I would suggest you ask for a room that does not face the parking lot...the views at the back of the...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Kingston, Canada
Reviewed 19 December 2012

This hotel is located within a short walk from Western University and also from the Masonville shopping center. It is a lovely country setting in the middle of the city. (We even had 2 deer visitors). The manor is quaint and quiet - every much like a retreat. A hot buffet breakfast at the lovely cafe is included in the rate. I have stayed at this hotel a couple of times before and I always leave with the same thought -- "if they only updated the rooms, this would be such an amazing place". The rooms are dated and very plain. The tv is old. The amenities in the bathroom are sparse. I was very much enjoying the quiet until I was awakened at 6am by the neighbour upstairs who walked the squeaky floor for 2.5 hours! If you stay here, be sure to request a 2nd floor room.

Room Tip: Ask for the 2nd floor.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank owl_wendy
Canada
Reviewed 5 December 2012

Such a beautiful setting but....... what a let down once I walked through the doors of the Hotel.

I didn't think I booked the Super 8????

My room was on the first floor. EVERYTHING needed updating, carpet, furniture, lamps. It was NOT the least bit inviting. I don't think I have seen a TV that old for years and batteries kept falling out of the remote! REALLY!!

There was the small "spotlight bulb" that had been used as a replacement bulb for one of the lamps. I'm not sure I have ever seen that before!!

The chair was impossible to sit in with out two pillows from the bed, no springs left.

The wood furniture was so old it was pealing. PLEASE!!
To top it off there was the person in the room above my that decided to exercise at 5:30AM!!! The floor did nothing but squeak till I left at 7AM.

This poor great lady of a building is rotting from the inside out. Shame on whoever is in charge of her care.

Room Tip: I'm not sure there is one
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank K&KCanada
London, Canada
Reviewed 3 December 2012

If you come to London, ON and have to go to a conference at the University of Western Ontario or London Health Sciences Center, this is a good spot to stay. Conferences related to either of these venues offers a discount. The hotel is situated up on a hill in a wooded area, off the road. There is ample free parking and is only a 10 minute walk to the heart of UWO campus. The price of the room includes a continental breakfast, which includes hot food, including made to order omlettes if you stay over on the weekend. I stayed while visiting family in the area over the summer, and really enjoyed being able to sit and eat my breakfast on the screened-in patio - a very nice feature. My suite was clean and included a small kitchenette. The beds were very comfortable. As a habit, I checked for bedbugs and there weren't any. No ants either. The dinners there are quite reasonable. I found the bathroom to be quite spacious and good water pressure. Room service does end at 10pm; however, when we stayed, the folks at the front deak were really great in getting us menus for some of the local take away places (and I'm not talking about pizza either). If you want to stay in the hustle and bustle of downtown London, close to the bar scene, then no, this hotel is not for you. However, if you want a peaceful dinner and a quiet place to stay, then yes, Windermere Manor is good. It is about a 15 minute walk to the local mall - Masonville Center - which has a movie theatre. We felt safe walking to this mall as it is through a neighborhood.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the back looking out into the woods. We saw several deer early in the morning whi...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Cuppa C
Ontario
Reviewed 18 November 2012

A family member was unexpectedly scheduled for cardiac surgery at University Hospital in London. We needed a place to stay that was close to the hospital. A list of hotels was provided to us, and we chose the Windermere Manor. We couldn't have found a better place. It was our oasis at a very stressful time. The hotel offers a rate for the families of medical patients. The hotel, with its quiet, park-like setting, is within walking distance of the hospital (saves you the $10.50 in parking charges - the Manor has free parking), and is comfortable, quiet and clean. Our room was very large, and wheelchair accessible, with a kitchenette. The front desk staff, Sarah and Blake, provided us with great service. A full hot breakfast is included, and the restaurant staff, especially Mike, is polite and professional. We enjoyed dinner there, too, after a long day at the hospital. All of the staff went out of their way to make us feel right at home. Thank you Windermere Manor!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
Brossard, Canada
Reviewed 2 November 2012

We were in London to attend our daughter's convocation ceremony last weekend and stayed two nights at this cozy, charming and conveniently located manor; it's situated on the vast grounds of the University of Western Ontario. When reserving, the staff made me aware of the 'parents of the graduates' rate: $119.CDN/night - king room - full, hot breakfast included. Everything in the room worked and the windows do open! Gwen and Sarah at the front desk were cheerful and most helpful.
The Cafe is of medium-size and when walking further inside, opens to reveal a solarium-type dining room; we observed a doe on both mornings come nearly to our window. A hearty, nutritious and varied breakfast was available both mornings. We will most definitely stay here again when our gal graduates two years from now!!

Room Tip: The manor has an elevator so feel free to ask for a room on the second of third floor.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank mmcynthia
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 23 October 2012

The grounds are beautiful, and arriving at night, you can't see the water damage amidst the lovely twink lights. For the cost, compared to other options in the area, I admit my expectations were a bit high; however, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect updated furniture and staff that are informative when spending $150 per night at a "ManorHotel". The decor in the room is from the 80's, complete with crummy particle board furniture, and floral drapes. The bed was comfortable, and the linens were new, and updated.

Our real complaint lies with the apathy of the front desk staff. The gentleman who was there the evening we arrived, simply handed me the breakfast vouchers, without explaining where or when breakfast would be served. We found a memo with the times in the room, and were able to ask the morning staff where breakfast was being served. The next morning (a Sunday) we read that the cafe (where we ate on Saturday morning) had brunch from 10-2, so we waited in the room for about an hour, until going to the cafe on Sunday. We were informed that the brunch was an extra charge, and that the included breakfast was in a different location altogether. "You might be able to get something, but it ends at 10." we were told. Upon arrival, we ran into another family who had experienced the same lack of information, but no server... When she did arrive, she informed us that we were welcome to what was left, but they would not be replenishing, as the complimentary breakfast was now finished. We explained the situation, but there was nothing she could do. The breakfast (both days) was above continental, but below our standards for a hot breakfast.

My husband and I realize we can be picky. That's why we pay a little extra to stay in a place a little nicer than a Days Inn. In this case I think we both would have preferred to stay at a cheaper place for the same quality. We won't be coming back, and will look into the Delta Armouries or Edelweiss for our next overnight in London.

(Upon departure, we asked if there were comment cards, and were directed to write our comments on TripAdvisor. They may want to reconsider their logic on this, or make some serious improvements to decor and staff service)

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank flutterbee1
Sarah W, Front Office Manager at Windermere Manor Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this review, 29 October 2012
Hello Flutterbee1,

Thank-you for taking the time to write a review and providing your feedback regarding your recent stay at The Windermere Manor. I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay. I have had an opportunity to review your feedback with our team, and look forward to using your feedback moving forward to improve our service and facility. As The Windermere Manor Hotel and Conference Centre is a small Hotel, we are always making improvements. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed our new comfy beds and linens, and our new TV's.

With regards to the Complimentary Hot buffet breakfast we provide to all Hotel guests, I am sorry to hear that you weren't informed about our breakfast time at check-in. At The Windermere Manor we are very diligent in training and encouraging all front desk staff to provide this information at check-in and I apologize if this wasn't the case. We understand that advising the breakfast times, can be something that gets forgotten during the check-in process, and for this reason we not only have the breakfast times printed on each breakfast voucher that the guest receives at check-in, but also every Sunday we post a sign in the front lobby explaining where to go for breakfast.

Again, I apologize for the inconveniences that occurred during your stay with us, and I hope that you are willing to give The Windermere Manor Hotel and Conference Centre the opportunity to show you the great service that we pride ourselves on.

Kind Regard,