“Basement Rooms A No No” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #11 of 41 Hotels in London
Ottawa, Canada
“Basement Rooms A No No”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014

We were given a room on the lower level where the pool is located. We should have asked for a different room but were pretty tired as we had been driving all day. The room itself was OK. It was clean and the bed was quite comfortable. The desk chair was very low and we couldn't figure out how to raise it. The heater / AC was very loud and sounded like a bus was running in the room. You had to turn the TV up very loud when it was running. The room was cool and a bit damp and only warmed up once the bathroom door was closed. We heated to room to over 80 and then turned the heater off overnight so that we could sleep. The hot breakfast looked good but was tasteless. The eggs were a solid mass in the pan and the sausages were hard and bland. The potatoes had no seasoning. The oatmeal was runny. Overall, it was very disappointing.

Room Tip: Do not accept a room in the basement
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Orillia, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014

I will start by saying that I was pleased overall with our stay and plan to stay there again. We stayed 2 nights while visiting relatives. This hotel is in a residential neighbourhood across from a hospital and is much quieter than other hotels right downtown or on Wellington Road South. It has ample free parking and is only 5 minutes from the downtown core making it a great location to start exploring the city. My first letdown was at check-in. I could have saved $10/night by booking through Expedia but I used their own website which offered a $25 White Oaks Mall gift card. I was told they had no record of the promotion on my reservation and the owner had to order them in and I could have one the next day. The hotel is very well maintained and clean. But here is my second letdown, the room had a strong smell from whatever cleaner or air freshener they used and upset my wife's allergies. We dropped our bags, opened a window, and went out to dinner. It was fine when we got back 4 hours later. Breakfast the next morning was my next letdown. While it was better than most it was NOT as advertised, lacking the DIY omelette bar and breakfast burritos that the website promised. It was on par with hotel breakfasts plus they had hot oatmeal and chafing dishes loaded with scrambled eggs, home fries, and link sausage. I would have enjoyed it if I hadn't been expecting a fresh omelette. After breakfast I went to the desk and asked for my gift card. A bored-looking clerk checked the computer and told me he had no record of it. Period. Full stop. I told him I had been promised one when I checked in and complained again that I used their site instead of Expedia because of that offer. He knocked $12.50/night off our bill but I don't know what was worse, the clerk who made the idle promise or the clerk who tried to ignore me hoping I would go away. The rest of our stay was uneventful. I'm surprised that other reviewers are lauding the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff. My experience was a mixed bag. None of my gripes are a real deal-breaker and the overall experience was very good for the price.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Larsen_K
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2014

Room was very clean on arrival and the housekeeping staff was great throughout our stay. Breakfast is plentiful and varied; and the breakfast room is spacious and comfortable - a definite plus.
We were disappointed that our suite with a kitchen did not have a single utensil, just a lot of empty cupboards. For health reasons, we needed to have meals in the room, so this was an issue. Also, there was no table or chairs to eat at - just a big empty space where I am assuming they used to be.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Guelph, Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2014

Don't hesitate to stay at this hotel. It is excellent. The staff are friendly and helpful. The accommodation is very good - rooms are clean (saw the housekeeping staff on their knees scrubbing the bathroom floor), quiet. It is very close to the London Victoria & Children's Hospital (5-min walk). There is a small fitness room & indoor pool. A hot breakfast is served which includes hot/cold cereal, eggs, toast, bagels, sweet buns, muffins, fruit, yogurt. The staff bent over backwards for me and also made my friends welcome when waiting for me. If you are staying because a loved one is at the hospital there is a lower $$ rate (very good value). A great place to stay.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Conlor
Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2014

Great Hotel to stay in. Lots of parking, Great friendly service and the home made cookies up front were top notch. Great touch. Room was clean and very spacious. Value was fair. Nothing to complain much about. Country Inn is a solid pick.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
St. Catharines, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2014

I stayec for 4 days. Staff was awesome. They were helpful, courteous, friendly and went out of their way if anything was needed. The housekeeping was great. The hot breakfast was wonderful and included. I will recommend your hotel. I usually do not write reviews but I feel like the whole staff needs to be acknowledge due to my wonderful stay. Thank you :-)

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
London, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed there with my family for one night. The staff were really friendly, rooms were clean and of reasonable size and the internet was fast. Overall it' s nice cozy hotel..though not the cheapest alternative.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends