“The place is a joke. Could be sooo much better!”

Banting House National Historic Site
Ranked #24 of 80 things to do in London
MI
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“The place is a joke. Could be sooo much better!”
Reviewed 19 August 2013

I was hoping for the real interesting museum after all the reviews.
Small, cramped building with paying parking + entrance fee for 3 rooms.
The guide was hardly informative.
There is no development of the subject beside common known factors.
The only unique and interesting thing was old medical instruments. However it was only important to us, as medical family.
After some research i found tons of interesting facts and possibilities that could be added to that museum to improve.
Can only imagine how bored children are during their fieldtrips to that place.

Visited October 2012
1 Thank Masha1977

• Polish first
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Worth the trip”
Reviewed 27 July 2013 via mobile

As a type 1 diabetic I was very interested in checking this out while in London. What i did not expect was to learn Banting was so much more than the doctor responsible for insulin. He was an artist, war hero and all around amazing Canadian. It diesnt look like much but it was far more than i expected. Very glad i went!

I suggest taking the guided tour.

Visited July 2013
3 Thank Kristy H
London, Ontario,Canada
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Moving and awe inspiring”
Reviewed 20 April 2013

The real gem is the curator. His tour of the facility is a must. It could bring you to tears. The moving stories of diabetics coming to celebrate the founder of insulin therapy. Who knew that he was also an accomplished artist.

Visited April 2013
2 Thank Stefan A
Halifax, Canada
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“No show, no Go”
Reviewed 22 November 2012

My family and I planned to visit the site at the end of our trip. We had investigated opening hours ahead of time. There was nobody there and doors were locked. After some waiting we had to leave without seeing it as did the other couple that arrived when we did. From the outside it looks in pretty poor repair. Not a surprise if nobody is there to collect entry fees.

Visited November 2012
4 Thank CEW1984
Williamsville
104 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 168 helpful votes
“Well done exhibits”
Reviewed 12 September 2012

As a person with Type I diabetes for 42 years, I was interested in visiting this site, although I imagine you don't need to have diabetes to appreciate what the Banting House has to offer. The place is open limited hours (officially Tues. - Sat., 12 - 4 PM), and it is staffed by volunteers. Admission is inexpensive ($5 for adults, $4 for seniors and students), and it is well worth the price of admission. I thought I knew a thing or two about Dr. Banting, but I learned a few new things beyone his pioneering medical research that led to the discovery of insulin. I did not previously know he was a decorated war hero. I was also unaware that he had taken up wood carving and painting. The exhibits cover all of this and much more. We had a great tour, guided by the very knowledgeable curator. It was all very interesting.

Visited September 2012